Automatic vs Manual

Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If we're talking washing machines it's a no brainer, but for driving what's best?

I'm not in my first flush of youth and have failed my test 3 times in a manual. I can 'do' the gears fine and I've never failed on gear control but I'm thinking of returning to taking driving lessons after a break of about 6 years, in an automatic. Although gear control isn't an issue in itself I do find myself getting incredibly flustered on a driving test and figured maybe having less to worry about would allow me to focus on other areas.

I know if you pass in an automatic you can only then drive automatics but I don't see that as a big hinderance.

With all the usual caveats aside, is driving an automatic easier?

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,974
    Forum Member
    Yes it is easier but only if you have trouble with gears. Gradually it will get easier to the point of being second nature. Do you currently have a licence at all? Autos are better these days compared to 10 or so years back so the drawbacks aren't so great. Having a manual would mean more options when choosing cars, especially if you were to hire cars for holidays. They're also cheaper too to buy.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auto box all the way for me, tho I have owned manual as well.

Recently switched from 1.4 turbo diesel 5spd manual to a 1.4 petrol 7spd auto and provided I stick with sainsburys unleaded I can just about get the same economy out of the petrol automatic....and it's more fun, easier, and faster.
    That's the thing, if you go for certain small petrol cars, you don't need to sacrifice much, if any fuel economy over the manual version, and can also ignore the small diesel option as well. For example, ford now offer their high economy petrol 1.0 Eco boost engine with their power shift auto box.

With this in mind, I think we have reached a critical point in development which means I will most likely never need to buy another manual car for economy etc:)
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving an automatic is easier, but they use more fuel therefore your likely to pay higher road tax for an automatic. Also insurance is more expensive. If the transmission goes wrong its very expensive to repair. Cost of servicing is also higher.
    Automatic cars are also more expensive.

I understand you are happy to be restricted to driving automatics but you won't believe how inconvenient that is.
    So you need to drive a friend home from whose been drinking in the pub and their car is manual, you can't do it!
    You want a new car and see one you really like but its only available in manual transmission.

TBH cut your losses and pay to get a good instructor and just do your test in a manual!
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking washing machines it's a no brainer, but for driving what's best?

I'm not in my first flush of youth and have failed my test 3 times in a manual. I can 'do' the gears fine and I've never failed on gear control but I'm thinking of returning to taking driving lessons after a break of about 6 years, in an automatic. Although gear control isn't an issue in itself I do find myself getting incredibly flustered on a driving test and figured maybe having less to worry about would allow me to focus on other areas.

I know if you pass in an automatic you can only then drive automatics but I don't see that as a big hinderance.

With all the usual caveats aside, is driving an automatic easier?

Automatic every time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the car you want to drive, not the one u feel pressurised into driving....
    For me, it's that's an automatic.....
    60mpg from my 7spd VW and that's on unleaded - not diesel....

Honda Jazz cvt auto = 60mpg
    (Next gen jazz promises 75mpg with petrol automatic

Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol, auto = 60mpg

There are also a lot more diesel automatics now, which is better for the larger cars at the moment.

Fiat are working on a 9spd automatic....,that should boost economy even higher.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had manual for 40+ years.
    Drove an automatic saloon around NZ North Island and an automatic Motorhome around South Island last year.
    Loved it - a revelation.

Also, my wife is a serial clutch killer :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine why anyone would "want" or "choose" to drive a manual if your going thru heavy traffic everyday.
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I can't imagine why anyone would "want" or "choose" to drive a manual if your going thru heavy traffic everyday.

This also weighed on me. Most of my driving would be in and around town. Even in lessons way back I remember the leg ache you'd get from the stop/start of traffic that moves half a meter ever 3 seconds as it crawls through the town centre.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get through your test in a manual. At least then you have all options available to you in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Get through your test in a manual. At least then you have all options available to you in the future.
    Yes.

But I suppose you could try learning on an automatic and if you pass your test and have your own car you'll gain confidence and then you could go for the manual license if you felt like it.

The newer the car the better the automatic gearbox and the more reliable they'll be.

Auto's are great when you're in traffic.
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Yes.

But I suppose you could try learning on an automatic and if you pass your test and have your own car you'll gain confidence and then you could go for the manual license if you felt like it.

The newer the car the better the automatic gearbox and the more reliable they'll be.

Auto's are great when you're in traffic.

This is what I think I'll do. Then again if I pass in an automatic the chances of me wanting to retake the manual test are admittedly quite slim!
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more of the opinion learn in a manual.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also insurance is more expensive. If the transmission goes wrong its very expensive to repair. Cost of servicing is also higher.
    Automatic cars are also more expensive.
    TBH cut your losses and pay to get a good instructor and just do your test in a manual!

Insurance is more expensive on an automatic, seriously?
    News to me, but I won't argue.
    Bite the bullet and pass your test in a manual, I did, but I haven't owned a manual for years.
    I'd never buy a manual, but that's just a personal choice.
    To me, it's start the engine, engage Drive, away you go, and that's it, easy, relaxing, and comfortable, providing you're not in Tower Bridge Road.
    Personally, living in central London, I avoid driving unless I really have to, it's a royal pain.
    So much easier to look for a yellow light with TAXI illuminated, raise your hand, and let someone else suffer the traffic.
  • GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drive what the hell you want then
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learned (and passed) in a manual but then when I passed my gran happened to be giving up driving at the same time so gave me her auto corsa and I have driven autos ever since.

Never had a problem with hiring autos.

Not sure I could just get in a manual and pull away without stalling a few times now though but don't envisage ever needing to.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never be a real fan of automatics, I find them less responsive when coming off from stationery, and just generally I feel I get better 'control' of a manual. I drove autos a fair bit whilst in the US for several months, it wasn't a joy to me tbh.

I'd think unless you actually have issues with learning gears, then you're going to have the same problems passing be it auto or manual. Once you are at the standard needed to pass your test, gears will be second nature. It's most likely the manoeuvres that catch people out, I personally wouldn't restrict options, unless it was a real problem area for you.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see no benefits in a manual car whatsoever (and I have driven both). However, I know people who are obsessive drivers and don't feel like they are really driving unless they drive a manual (because automatic is so much easier).

In Germany for instance where people are absolutely obsessed with cars it's very difficult to buy an automatic car. Most makes are in manual only.

Unless you are one of those obsessive drivers though, there really is no benefit to driving manual.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I see no benefits in a manual car whatsoever (and I have driven both). However, I know people who are obsessive drivers and don't feel like they are really driving unless they drive a manual (because automatic is so much easier).

In Germany for instance where people are absolutely obsessed with cars it's very difficult to buy an automatic car. Most makes are in manual only.

Unless you are one of those obsessive drivers though, there really is no benefit to driving manual.
    Mercedes are possibly the most common car in Germany and often used for Taxis in even the smallest towns. You will struggle to find a Merc with a manual box. They are made but the vast majority of Mercs are Auto boxes.

It's not so much the benefits of the car.....more the benefit of licence type. Pass your test in a manual and you are ok to drive both. Pass your test in an automatic and you are restricted to driving auto only.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Mercedes are possibly the most common car in Germany and often used for Taxis in even the smallest towns. You will struggle to find a Merc with a manual box. They are made but the vast majority of Mercs are Auto boxes.

It's not so much the benefits of the car.....more the benefit of licence type. Pass your test in a manual and you are ok to drive both. Pass your test in an automatic and you are restricted to driving auto only.

My parents who live in Germany have been struggling to buy an automatic in the makes of their choice (new cars). The Germans I know are almost fanatical drivers and a car is more than just a means of transport to them, which is why most of them prefer manual. Not to stereotype too much, but Germans are absolutely excellent drivers.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    My parents who live in Germany have been struggling to buy an automatic in the makes of their choice (new cars). The Germans I know are almost fanatical drivers and a car is more than just a means of transport to them, which is why most of them prefer manual. Not to stereotype too much, but Germans are absolutely excellent drivers.
    What makes have they in mind?

I have friends in Germany and both own Mercs. To give you some idea of what i mean, a quick search on Auto Trader throws up 19,696 Mercs of all models (nationwide). Out of that number just 3,164 are manual....16,487 automatics.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,146
    Forum Member
    Unless you're a woman learn how to drive a manual.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I learned to drive in a manuel, passed my test and have used one ever since. I'm not sure I could go to an automatic, I feel I need the gears there to keep my concentration levels up
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an auto and a manual. The auto is great in town and heavy traffic, and super for long journeys. The manual is for buzzing about the countryside where I can act the "boy racer" (at 65 years old).

Haven driven manuals for 45 years+, for me its auto every time now - much more relaxing to drive and, oddly enough, I drive a bit slower than in a manual - maybe because I'm more relaxed.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I learned to drive and passed my test in a manual but then had an automatic, and much preferred it.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had manual for 40+ years.
    Drove an automatic saloon around NZ North Island and an automatic Motorhome around South Island last year.
    Loved it - a revelation.

Also, my wife is a serial clutch killer :(

Me too! Having an automatic is wonderful.