Peladon stories

PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
no one seems to like these but i love them.

maybe something to do with the fact they are the first i remember watching as a child.

aggedor was a great monster and anything with the ice warriors in is ok with me

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Curse of Peladon is a great story, with interesting characters. The Monster of Peladon sadly is pretty dire
  • LurgidBeeLurgidBee Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    of all the Jon Pertwee I watched before I was 5 I can't remember the ice warriors but Alpha Centauri sure stuck in my memory.

Sure a shrink could read a lot into that.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curse is great fun.

Monster is a typical, boring, padded, plodding Pertwee six-parter.

Alpha Centauri steals every scene, though.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I reckon it is an unfair assessment to say that no one likes these stories.

I had them on video and enjoyed them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LurgidBee wrote: »
    of all the Jon Pertwee I watched before I was 5 I can't remember the ice warriors but Alpha Centauri sure stuck in my memory.

Sure a shrink could read a lot into that.

Alpha Centauri does rather steal the show
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen either of them in ages, but as far as I remember Curse of Peladon was a pretty good story, but Monster of Peladon just dragged. Quite interesting stories though. I remember having nightmares about Alpha Centauri when I was three..
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curse is one of the better Pertwee stories, very enjoyable and very well done. Monster, sadly, is like most sequels-not half as good and adding nothing much to the mythos. It might have worked better as a four parter, but there isn't really enough material for six and it shows.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Curse is the kind of story I am desperate to see in new Who. Alien world, lots of different types of aliens, great plot and a monster! All the things you just don't find on a council estate. :D
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Curse is the kind of story I am desperate to see in new Who. Alien world, lots of different types of aliens, great plot and a monster! All the things you just don't find on a council estate. :D

And Monster is the opposite. Bad plot, bad characters, too long and the political overtones (it was compared to the UK joining the (then) Common Market).

And sorry I am not a member of the Alpha Centuri fan club - the voice was just so annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alpha Centauri is just crying out of her great big eye to be brought back in the new series for a cameo. She should have been there at the End of the World instead of the Forest of Dean. Just a cameo but nice continuity.
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    Alpha Centauri is just crying out of her great big eye to be brought back in the new series for a cameo. She should have been there at the End of the World instead of the Forest of Dean. Just a cameo but nice continuity.

Yep - certainly a memorable alien :D
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Monster is the opposite. Bad plot, bad characters, too long and the political overtones (it was compared to the UK joining the (then) Common Market).

And sorry I am not a member of the Alpha Centuri fan club - the voice was just so annoying.

It was Curse that was an allegory of the UK joining the Common Market - although both stories had political overtones as Monster referenced the miners' strike of the time.

I like both stories, actually, although I agree that Curse is the better of the two - Monster doesn't really justify its six episodes.
  • THEHANDOFOMEGATHEHANDOFOMEGA Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I love the pair of them. Plus an attractive red head in Monster.

Venusian lullabies, work wonders on babies
  • Jakes_stuffJakes_stuff Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have pre ordered this boxset, andf think it will be arriving tomorrow.

I read the books as a teenager, and found it hard to keep interested so am hoping the actual viewing of it will be different!!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the pair of them. Plus an attractive red head in Monster.

Certainly more attractive than the badger-haired miners! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly more attractive than the badger-haired miners! ;)

"Those young hot-heads!" ... Monster is full of some of the most annoying and patronising Pertweeisms, and is at least two episodes too long. (Or it was when I last saw it, about 5yrs ago).
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have pre ordered this boxset, andf think it will be arriving tomorrow.

Got it today. Any deficiencies in the story are more than made up for by the fact that it’s Pertwee Who and that’s never a bad thing.

This on a Saturday at 5.25pm, a glass of Tizer and a couple of Jammy Dodgers and I’m instantly travelling back in time!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this box set yesterday. I watched the Curse of Peladon last night, will probably have to catch up with Monster of Peladon over the next few days.

Was Curse any good? Well it wasn't too bad. A bit slow, but then a lot of Pertwee stories are. It's not as good as say, The Green Death, but it's a reasonable story. It was nice to actually see a Pertwee episode where Unit didn't feature at all. For some strange reason, it reminded me a bit of the Colin Baker stories featuring Sil. Probably because of Arcturus.

I seem to remember Monster of Peladon is even slower, so I'm bracing myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the Pelado stories. I think the idea is a good one, Alpha Centauri is great and it's good to see someone showing what they really think of Jo...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lovely bit in monster where SJ gets a bit shocked and panicked by Alpha, and then feels embarrassed and guilty. Very well done.

I can see similarities between Curse and Vengeance on Varos: claustrophobic, enclosed location, a citadel, wormy-type creatures in water tanks, etc. Never thought of that before!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »

Re-watch End Of The World, then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. We watched most of Curse last night, and Mrs Chuff pointed out the similarities with The End of the World.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »

Not really-the Peladon stories were set a few thousand years in the future when Earth was a member world of the Galactic Federation, whereas The End of the World was set several billion years in the future after humanity had abandoned the planet. Centauri would have been long dead by then.