oscars.boring.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
Forum Member
✭✭
anybody else have no interest in the oscars? completly boring and i have no interest who wins what.in fact its the same with most award shows.

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet you still take the time to make a new thread about it? :confused:

But no, to answer your question. I very much enjoyed watching the entire ceremony!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its as big a waste of space as the brits
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    So i take it you have some ideas to make it more interesting?
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member

But no, to answer your question. I very much enjoyed watching the entire ceremony!

I would have watched it live, but I like my sleep to much. So I've had to record it overnight.
    Ian.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like award ceremonies in general, but massive ones like the Oscars can 'drag' at times.

I wouldn't say i find them "boring" just a little tedious at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,122
    Forum Member
    i just watched the opening, seth mcfarlanes stand up was funny, but the show tunes were stupid and annoying imo.

i have no interest in the awards/speeches etc
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oscars are the only ones I'm interested in. Even then I just flick through to the awards and cut out a lot of the padding.
  • MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too Mystical. I thought it was the best show in years. Seth did a good job presenting and I loved the music theme. Barbra and Shirley both stole the show for me.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    I like award ceremonies in general, but massive ones like the Oscars can 'drag' at times.

I wouldn't say i find them "boring" just a little tedious at times.
    It wasn't as slick as in previous years. McFarlane seemed to want to be slightly the bad boy but I think he found the pressure of the OSCARs too much to go too far.

I just have the feeling that he wanted to be like Gervais at the Globes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It wasn't as slick as in previous years. McFarlane seemed to want to be slightly the bad boy but I think he found the pressure of the OSCARs too much to go too far.

I just have the feeling that he wanted to be like Gervais at the Globes.

He would have been warned, imo.

I think he got the 'balance' right so to speak, nothing TOO risk`aye.

Theirs making a 'name' for yourself, and theirs coming across as a prick. Imo he did neither on this particular night.

I enjoyed his performance, he done ok, but neither did he "wow" nor neither did he shock me.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you give an award to someone for doing their job?

They spent a few weeks making a film then sit on their arse and count their money for the rest of the year.

Awards shows are pathetic.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    its as big a waste of space as the brits

Not really, the Brits inflicted the pain and bordom on unfortunate terrestial viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Why do you give an award to someone for doing their job?

Why do firms give people bonuses for doing their jobs? Why do things like 'employee of the month' exist?

It's all the same thing - it's about rewarding people who've excelled at their job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Oscars all the holy grail of movie awards, win one, your bound to make many more £'ssssssssss.

Iceland (the shop) awards people like Jordan and Kerry Katona "mum of the year awards" So if you've worked hard and creatively on a movie, you SHOULD be awarded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do firms give people bonuses for doing their jobs? Why do things like 'employee of the month' exist?

It's all the same thing - it's about rewarding people who've excelled at their job.

Not all companies do.

Do they broadcast it on international television and forcefeed it to you on the news?

No it's not about rewarding them it's about making more money out of the fools who will go and buy the dvd or go to the cinema to watch or suddenly decide they might want the latest Adele CD it's just another form of publicity.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not all companies do.

Do they broadcast it on international television and forcefeed it to you on the news?

No it's not about rewarding them it's about making more money out of the fools who will go and buy the dvd or go to the cinema to watch or suddenly decide they might want the latest Adele CD it's just another form of publicity.
    Why do they give footballers medals for winning more gmes than the other teams? and the club a trophy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why do they give footballers medals for winning more gmes than the other teams? and the club a trophy?

Exactly, it's recognition for being the 'best' in your field of work. You work HARD on something, regardless of the money, it's a sense of personal achievement when you win an award of high magnitude, ie; like the Oscars.

It really isn't about the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all companies do.

They don't forcefeed it to you, no-one's forcing you to watch, or even to watch news items on it. You've presumably got a remote control, and a finger to press mute or a different channel number.

And I never said all companies do, something doesn't have to be done by everyone!

As others have said, and as I said already, it's about recognition of excellence, plenty of occupations do it at all different levels just like the motion picture industry. People who enjoy watching movies are not fools, and there are plenty of people who saw the nominated movies before awards season who simply enjoy watching people get recognised for great work.

If you don't like it, fair enough, but that doesn't make it pointless or wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seriously think Adele was there because she just wanted to sing, she has albums to sell her record company got her a platform to promote it and make money, just like most acts as the Brits albums soar up the charts when they perform anyone who thinks they are there for the reconginition is very niave they are there to ensure they get paid more for the next film.

You think people went on Parkinson because they wanted to? No they all had something to promote ie the traditional holding up of a book.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its considered boring because fans of the films seem to think they should be involved in some way. Its an award show for those involved in film making, not those who simply buy the finished product. Truth is, i think people watch so they feel vindicated in thinking their film choices are worthy.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seriously think Adele was there because she just wanted to sing, she has albums to sell her record company got her a platform to promote it and make money,

No, she was there because she was nominated for an award.

Yes, her performance might garner her a few extra sales and some cash but something tells me she's not in desperate need of album sales at the moment. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All artists have a shelf life and record companies are the greediest of them all up there with bankers.

They not interested in Adele getting an award they want maximum album sales.

People are so niave the oscars are a money making scheme with advertising, selling the tv rights and promotions around the world they are NOT to reward actors for their performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An article I found which sums up what the Oscars are really about.

Oscars, ka-ching

"I love a good film and, even though the Oscars in an overblown, self-congratulatory love fest, I enjoy it. Let’s be honest, the Oscars aren’t about films or movie-making, they are about Hollywood and money-making. The fact that the vast, vast majority of films that have won the big four (Film, Director, Actor, Actress) have been American Hollywood films shows just that. It’s not just easy to mock them, it’s important as the Oscars only deal with a small sample of the films being made, but it’s just as important to remember that the Oscars make a difference where it matters; in the pockets of film makers.

Money is king in Hollywood, which is why 2010′s highest box-office earners are all sequels. As far as Hollywood is concerned, why pay for something that is a risk when you have an audience just waiting to see Toy Story 3, or Iron Man 2? Nothing is certain with a new film, just look at The Tourist; two of the most bankable and best looking actors around and it flopped. So they stick with a formula and in comes the money.

This is where the Oscars come in. Hollywood likes to think of itself as artistic. So, they only choose the best of what they consider highbrow films to be nominated. Sequels being nominated are rare, it happens of course, but they have to be particularly good. Without the Oscars, they would churn out the same old same old. To a certain degree, the Oscars keep them honest. There is, though, always more money to be made."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So i take it you have some ideas to make it more interesting?

yes,cancel it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    anybody else have no interest in the oscars? completly boring and i have no interest who wins what.in fact its the same with most award shows.

Then don't watch it.

Why bother creating a thread about something you have no interest in?