Lost BBC1,2,CBBC. Manual tune shows 0 signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
Forum Member
Hi everyone,

My Humax 2000T box recently seemed to lose BBC1 , BBC2 and CBBC. The HD versions are still available. The Humax box complained about poor signal. I've tried an auto-retune and now these channels are not listed in the guide at all.

I've also looked at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker which says I should be using Reigate or Crstyal Palace ( My postcode is RH10)

For Crystal Palace I should be using channels 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 30 (HD), 33 (HD) and 35 (HD)

I've been into the Signal Checker of the Humax box and it shows that I have Strength 40-50, quality 100 on most of the above channels. However for channels 23, 33 and 35 I now get absolutely 0 signal. This was working ok up until about a week ago, maybe a little earlier.

I've tried using the alternative channels from the Reigate transmitter but they dont seem to work either.

Any ideas? I don't understand why these would just get lost. Do I need a signal booster maybe, even though its showing 0 signal rather than just a low figure?

Rob

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK the first point to make. You should NOT have retuned! That is the very last option to take and should never ever be the first. You should always eliminate all other potential causes first. Now you have no way of knowing if something else fixes the problem.

Where is your aerial and which way are the elements orientated? Crystal Palace uses Horizontal polarisation and Reigate vertical so the aerial has to be oriented the same way. That will give you a real clue as to which transmitter you should be receiving. It will also explain why only one works properly.

The location of the aerial is also important. If it is a loft aerial then moving or adding stuff to the loft can alter reception conditions enough to zap one or more muxes. You can also get odd effects due to damage to the cables or water ingress into the terminal block on an outdoor aerial.

It has even been mentioned in other threads on DS that the aerial cable getting wrapped up with other leads like HDMI cables can affect reception. So the next thing you need to do is check out the entire aerial system as much as you can. Check the aerial is still pointing in the right direction and that all cables and terminations are in good order.

And one more thing. Do you have a Freeview telly on the same aerial and has that also lost the channels? That would indicate if it is an aerial fault or not. If everything on the aerial has lost the same set of channels then the most likely cause is something common to all units, ie the aerial system.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in Enfield which is roughly 23 miles from Crystal Palace I don't use any booster { outdoor aerial } and my unit shows Strength 78-80 Quality 100 so your roughly the same distance from Crystal Palace so 40-50 is a bit low which does point to your aerial system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tips, I'll work through them. I did the full retune as that is what is recommended first in most sites talking about missing channels.

I think signal strength in the 40's was normal for me here. I found a post I made elsewhere in 2013 when I first got this device and it mentions similar stats:-

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/signal-strength-issue.4295/#post-52844
    Forum Member
    Out aerial is mounted n the roof, i cannot remember what it looks like now, and its too dark to see so I'll take a picture in the morning.

If something has knocked the aerial out of alignment would that result in losing just some channels like this leaving others seemingly unaffected?
    Forum Member
    Workingh on the assunmption for the moment based on posts in that old thread that I have been using Crystal Palace channels I cant understand why some channels from there come through with 40-50 strength nd others some through with 0. My novice mind thinks it should be an all or nothing situation.

Is it possible to only receive certain channels from a transmitter in this way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robmonster wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips, I'll work through them. I did the full retune as that is what is recommended first in most sites talking about missing channels.
    That is the wrong advice. If the loss of channels is due to a fault with the aerial then retuning is going to delete all the tuning data for the mux(es) affected. Thus you have no way to tell if correcting a fault elsewhere in the chain has fixed the problem or not.

As I posted above loft aerials especially can be sensitive to stuff being moved around in or added to the loft. If you have deleted the "lost" channels you have nothing to use to test if re-arranging the contents of the loft has restored normal operation or not.

There can be problems with outdoor aerials and cabling that can result in channel loss. So again if you have deleted the channels you cannot check if you have corrected the fault or not.

That is why you should only ever retune when you have fully eliminated any other cause. Obviously if there is a TV on the same aerial point as the Humax that will help. If it too has lost channels then that strongly suggests the aerial is faulty. However if it still receives all the channels then that suggests the fault could be with the Humax. You haven't said whether you do have a Freeview TV attached to the Humax nor if it is receiving the channels the Humax has lost or not. That would be useful to know.
    Workingh on the assunmption for the moment based on posts in that old thread that I have been using Crystal Palace channels I cant understand why some channels from there come through with 40-50 strength nd others some through with 0. My novice mind thinks it should be an all or nothing situation.

There are some aerial faults that can affect only certain frequencies and not others. I've known rain water ingress into the terminal block on the aerial cause all sorts of odd effects. So it's not impossible for an aerial or cable fault to zap some UHF channels and not others. Or there could be a source of interference affecting just those UHF frequencies you have lost.

What about channels like Pick, Dave and Really are you getting those as well or not? They are on the lowest frequency mux just below the BBC SD one you have already mentioned. The muxes on UHF 33 and 35 are much lower power than the main muxes so anything that is causing signal loss in the aerial system is likely to affect those more than the others. Even more so if the signal is a bit marginal to begin with. So it's likely that something has affected the aerial reducing the signal you are getting.

You need to check out the entire system for any signs of damage or poor connections. And disentangle all the wires behind the telly/Humax to keep the aerial lead as physically separate from other cables as possible to reduce any interference they might cause. Though if the aerial cable is a good quality well screened type that will help reduce any interference. But some cheap and nasty supermarket leads are more trouble than they are worth and deserve putting out of their misery!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Yes it is.
    Really? I thought it would be all or nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Really? I thought it would be all or nothing.

Not all aerial faults result in a total loss of everything. In the OP's case two of the UHF channels he seems to be missing are transmitted at a lower power than the others. So if something has caused a partial loss of signal these two channels will likely be affected before the others.

You could also have a situation where you get reflections off a building for example arriving at the aerial fractionally later than the direct signal. These can cause a partial cancellation of just one frequency.