Humax FVP-4000T Triple Tuner

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I use a harmony remote, saves having to swap between 5 or 6 separate remotes, and when I switch between freeplay and say freesat it would switch the tv off too when the freeplay powered down, so to solve this I had to switch viera link off in tv settings as the harmony is programmed to what needs to be on when I select a certain activity
    Forum Member
    Changing setting to 720 worked a treat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Hi all

We've had our 4000t since the day it launch in October and it's great.

The fact that it will work as a 'media server' spurred me on to discover what that meant!

After a bit of play - I've never tried to do it before - I can now stream recorded programmes - wirelessly or wired -over my home network to a whole host of stuff - an Asus tablet - a Samsung smart TV - a home desktop PC with Win 7 - an Android 'PC' smart box - all except the smart TV use Kodi - I've never used that before either - it all works really well - well worth the effort.

What has also paid off has been the inclusion of my oldish Foxsat PVR. I plucked up courage and downloaded the Raydon custom firmware - it loaded very easily and streams well with all the other kit - along with Kodi. Thanks Raydon.

And don't forget all this streaming can happen at the same time that someone else is watching recorded programmes in the normal way on the tele.

Things haven't all been perfect though - hdmi-cec*system has been a real pain - I'd never used that before either - and probably never will. A friend who bought a 4000 at my suggestion nearly sent it back because of cec. If you've got 'remote' problems with your 4000 then learn how to turn cec OFF on your telly - it's not a problem with your Humax!

There are some small changes that Humax will deal with but overall it's a great machine.

Fantastic - thanks Humax
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like there are still a lot of problems with this box? I was strongly considering buying it as the compact size and triple tuners are very attractive, but if people are experiencing major faults like overheating and an "i" button is lacking, I'm a bit concerned.

Have any of the negative points raised in this thread been fixed yet?

Has anyone who has bought one, regretted doing so?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Sounds like there are still a lot of problems with this box? I was strongly considering buying it as the compact size and triple tuners are very attractive, but if people are experiencing major faults like overheating and an "i" button is lacking, I'm a bit concerned.

Have any of the negative points raised in this thread been fixed yet?

Has anyone who has bought one, regretted doing so?

Hi, as you can see from my previous posts I've had this box since day one and I'm not a huge fan. My main bugbears are the useless UI the pedestrian EPG and the remote layout amongst others. Yes, the lack of an 'i' button is annoying and part of the hate for the EPG.

I did state that the box seemed to run extremely hot, felt especially when removing USB connections etc. I do wonder if the hot running could reduce the life expectancy of the whole thing. That all said, the box doesn't seem to suffer any effects on a daily basis from overheating.

Do I regret buying one? Well, it does what it's supposed to regarding recording and it has three tuners, so, regret, may be too strong a word.
    What I do regret is falling for this 'Freeview Play'. It's pretty useless in daily life and just moves you to the catchup players. which you can use anyway.

So, overall, I wouldn't recommend buying the box, at the moment. Unless the need is urgent ( I bought due to a failing Fox-T2) I would wait a couple of months and see what the other boxes that are coming are like.
    Forum Member
    That's a bit of a let down, I set F1 to record via the guide and programme had got moved to bbc2 they the freeplay box still recording bbc1, woulda thought technology these days the box would know it wasn't F1 and that it had been moved and record the new channel as appropriate.... Well gets 1 good thing about the box is that the iplayer I can play from start of the program :-)
    Forum Member
    F1 is recording OK on my box at the moment, I've not changed anything manually from the series link.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    EPG changes can take a while to filter through depending on the recorder being used and if it was already turned in time for the change to be noted. In this case the real blame lies solely with the broadcaster for pulling a dumb, unnecessary, late switch.
  • londonmanlondonman Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Hi, as you can see from my previous posts I've had this box since day one and I'm not a huge fan. My main bugbears are the useless UI the pedestrian EPG and the remote layout amongst others. Yes, the lack of an 'i' button is annoying and part of the hate for the EPG.

I did state that the box seemed to run extremely hot, felt especially when removing USB connections etc. I do wonder if the hot running could reduce the life expectancy of the whole thing. That all said, the box doesn't seem to suffer any effects on a daily basis from overheating.

Do I regret buying one? Well, it does what it's supposed to regarding recording and it has three tuners, so, regret, may be too strong a word.
    What I do regret is falling for this 'Freeview Play'. It's pretty useless in daily life and just moves you to the catchup players. which you can use anyway.

So, overall, I wouldn't recommend buying the box, at the moment. Unless the need is urgent ( I bought due to a failing Fox-T2) I would wait a couple of months and see what the other boxes that are coming are like.

That's a really helpful post, thanks. Overheating is a big no-no in my book as far as long-term reliability is concerned. And I'd missed the lack of the 'i' button which for me is also a big no-no.

So many thank for that.
  • HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    F1 recording appears to be ok, made no changes to the original series link set up weeks ago.

As for overheating?

Recording 2 HD channels for over nearly 3 hours and right hand side top of the unit is warm to the touch, left hand side is cool, I would not consider that as overheating by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markdyer72 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a let down, I set F1 to record via the guide and programme had got moved to bbc2 they the freeplay box still recording bbc1, woulda thought technology these days the box would know it wasn't F1 and that it had been moved and record the new channel as appropriate.... Well gets 1 good thing about the box is that the iplayer I can play from start of the program :-)

My friend's 9300 had both the Tennis and F1 set to record, neither recorded. My 9200 had only F1 set to record but failed. As you say, iPlayer to the rescue.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    londonman wrote: »
    Overheating is a big no-no in my book as far as long-term reliability is concerned.
    There are very few reports that suggest the box gets too hot so I would do some further research.
    Forum Member
    Hummyowner wrote: »
    As for overheating?

Recording 2 HD channels for over nearly 3 hours and right hand side top of the unit is warm to the touch, left hand side is cool, I would not consider that as overheating by any stretch of the imagination.
    There are very few reports that suggest the box gets too hot so I would do some further research.

The heat issue I was discussing is only through observation of my own box. I have had no issues during recording due to heat problems. However, when using with a USB stick or HD the heat is far higher than when just recording. One stick was exceptionally hot on removal. The question I originally raised was not over performance due to heat, but, to longevity of parts. Of course this won't be know for some time....Hopefully it will turn out to be a non issue, but, it's something to be aware of.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your help. It's since been pointed out to me by a relative that we tend to get a better picture via satellite during poor weather, so that along with the comments on here means I'll be opting for a Freesat box instead now.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help. It's since been pointed out to me by a relative that we tend to get a better picture via satellite during poor weather, so that along with the comments on here means I'll be opting for a Freesat box instead now.
    Enjoy.:).....Although my experience has always been the other way around.....Sky gets wiped out when it rains or snows heavily.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Enjoy.:).....Although my experience has always been the other way around.....Sky gets wiped out when it rains or snows heavily.

Never been the case with me Sky has been rock solid with me even through very bad weather,
    I have had no problems with Sky concerning the weather
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Either your dish needs more accurate alignment or you need a larger dish for your geographic location. Freeview isn't affected by bad weather (unless you have trees in the way when wind creates picture breakup). Freeview though can suffer picture breakdown during high pressure transmission lifts, caused by co-channel interference with distant transmitters using the same uhf carrier frequencies. Satellite is immune to co-channel interference.
    Forum Member
    Either your dish needs more accurate alignment or you need a larger dish for your geographic location. Freeview isn't affected by bad weather (unless you have trees in the way when wind creates picture breakup). Freeview though can suffer picture breakdown during high pressure transmission lifts, caused by co-channel interference with distant transmitters using the same uhf carrier frequencies. Satellite is immune to co-channel interference.

I don't have Sky any longer, but during heavy rain/snow storms it always broke up.
    I have no problems with Freeview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have Sky any longer, but during heavy rain/snow storms it always broke up.
    I have no problems with Freeview.

The Sky fitters don't exactly spend any time aligning a dish, basically they chuck em up and if works that's OK. Since 2008 I have lost satellite signals once, there was 4" of wet snow on the dish face. Because my dish is only 6ft off the ground few seconds with a broom restored normal service :)

They wouldn't bother checking the rain fade margin (A wet towel draped over half the dish face is a good test).

In addition since you had Sky virtually all the major channels are now on very much stronger UK spot beams on brand new satellites, as a result they are now a lot more robust.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm bought OH exact same box I have and when switch channels it shows info for channel changing to, yet mine still shows info for channel changing from. Both 1tb mocha have just returned and still same hmmmm. Mines on external aerial OH on indoor aerial not sure that makes diff like.
    Forum Member
    Another problem have encountered, when OH is recording a hd channel she cannot switch the box back on to says out of range, even tho the box is set to 720
  • HamsterCasterHamsterCaster Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm whether the ftp or samba option is available on this unit. Earlier in the thread I saw someone talking about a custom firmware for this unit, does one exist?

I'm asking on behalf of my father who is looking to replace his foxsat hdr (with raydon firmware). Has just bought the 1100S and quite promptly returned it for refund as there was no way to archive files of it. Have been advised to look at the Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB but can't find any file transfer options on that either.

If the FVP-4000T isn't able to transfer files via network does anyone know a unit that will?

Hope you can help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone confirm whether the ftp or samba option is available on this unit. Earlier in the thread I saw someone talking about a custom firmware for this unit, does one exist?

I'm asking on behalf of my father who is looking to replace his foxsat hdr (with raydon firmware). Has just bought the 1100S and quite promptly returned it for refund as there was no way to archive files of it. Have been advised to look at the Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB but can't find anyransfer options on that either.

If the FVP-4000T isn't able to transfer files via network does anyone know a unit that will?

Hope you can help.

Unit has both FTP and Samba. Note only SD files are decrypted on transfer. There is an app that allows remote viewing of SD recordings (and live SD TV) on mobile devices.
  • HamsterCasterHamsterCaster Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Excellent, thanks for that, do you find ftp/samba reliable?, I read someone keeps having problems seeing the device via network in windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent, thanks for that, do you find ftp/samba reliable?, I read someone keeps having problems seeing the device via network in windows.

I don't have a FVP-4000T. And yes there are reports of some issues with Samba and FTP . Best place to look is the faq and fvp-4000T threads at MyHumax.