Fox T2 Ext HD not deleting

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've got a Fox T2. I've today connected a Ext HD. It plays programmes from the ext HD great, but neither deletes them afterwards - option greyed - nor 'remembers' when I stop playback part way through.

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Fox T2. I've today connected a Ext HD. It plays programmes from the ext HD great, but neither deletes them afterwards - option greyed - nor 'remembers' when I stop playback part way through.
    Is the external drive mounted read only for some reason?
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the external drive mounted read only for some reason?

It would make sense if that was the problem. How could I have mistakenly mounted it 'read only'? I just connected it. How can I sort out that problem if that is it?
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I have mistakenly mounted it 'read only'?
    Is the external drive formatted NTFS? NTFS formatted drives are read only on both the HDR-FOX T2 and the HD-FOX T2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Is the external drive formatted NTFS? NTFS formatted drives are read only on both the HDR-FOX T2 and the HD-FOX T2.

Thank you. I will check. What does it need to be? Is it called FAT something?
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I will check. What does it need to be? Is it called FAT something?
    If none of your individual recordings/programmes on the external drive are over 4GB in size then FAT32 will work. You will need to backup the files that are currently on the external disk first then, if the drive is over 32GB and using windows, use a 3rd party tool to format to FAT32. (The format built into windows only permits 32GB or smaller to be formatted to FAT32.)

If you also want to have files over 4GB then the native FOX T2 will also recognise EXT2, EXT3. Or you could adapt your FOX T2 by using the 'custom firmware' so that it can use either NTFS or extFAT as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    If none of your individual recordings/programmes on the external drive are over 4GB in size then FAT32 will work. You will need to backup the files that are currently on the external disk first then, if the drive is over 32GB and using windows, use a 3rd party tool to format to FAT32. (The format built into windows only permits 32GB or smaller to be formatted to FAT32.)

If you also want to have files over 4GB then the native FOX T2 will also recognise EXT2, EXT3. Or you could adapt your FOX T2 by using the 'custom firmware' so that it can use either NTFS or extFAT as well.

Thanks for that. 32 GB isn't much for an ext HD. It's certainly bigger than that. 250gb IIRC. Thanks for the options. I'll go with using a 3rd party tool to format to FAT32. Can you recommend a 3rd party tool?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks the help here. My ext HD has been reformatted to FAT 32 and now works perfectly.

Much appreciated. :)