Huge racism scandal in US BB

child of tyrachild of tyra Posts: 830
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if any of you follow the US version of Big Brother but there's been a huge scandal involving some of the contestants in the show's current season. Basically, it emerged online that a number of the houseguests have made extremely derogatory comments (racial/homophobic/sexist) that were seen on the live feeds. At first the network seemed to be ignoring it but after online pressure and making international headlines (which is huge for what in America isn't a headline grabbing show at all), they decided to air a brief segment of the clips

(which can be seen, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlV8RO6Xnk)

For those who don't know the premise of the show, it's different to ours in the sense that the houseguests evict eachother and it all involves strategy so the public get no real say in who gets evicted. Now last night one of the 'outsider's' Helen (an Asian HG) won the power of Head of Household, meaning that she controls this week's nominations. What happened last night on the live feeds was truly horrific with the group of 'villains' acting out against her win. They flipped the matress of one of the black contestants shouting various derogatory remarks at her, leading her to be left crying in the other room being unable to deal with the prejudice.

The reason I am posting about this here is because it seems that for the time being CBS are choosing not to act against the offending HGs. Yes, they are airing SOME of the comments, showing how other HGs are challenging them on it and host Julie Chen has commented on how offended she feels by the racism, but, no one is being removed. The behaviour in the house is so much worse than ANYTHING we have seen in BBUK. It's on a completely different level to Shilpa gate, but I am interested, do you think it's the right decision to keep these contestants in the game? Or should they be removed? Is BB a social experiment that should be allowed to play out, or should they be punished for their actions like they would in UKBB?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a way it's good they reveal what these people are like, but to leave them there is cowardly.

Of course, this is America we're talking about - maybe they don't want massive lawsuits with the turds whining about their right to free speech being tampered with.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she reminds me of Connie DiMico from Family Guy.
    what a complete and utter Moron getting strength from other people laughing at what she's saying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an American expat living in Europe and I can tell you when I was in school all the other kids were just like that Aaryn chick. Her behaviour and comments really don't shock me at all for that reason, I heard similar ones all throughout my youth.
  • Model_CitizenModel_Citizen Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Done to death thread was moved to usbb

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1846546
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Omg what a nasty girl
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    I don't know if any of you follow the US version of Big Brother but there's been a huge scandal involving some of the contestants in the show's current season. Basically, it emerged online that a number of the houseguests have made extremely derogatory comments (racial/homophobic/sexist) that were seen on the live feeds. At first the network seemed to be ignoring it but after online pressure and making international headlines (which is huge for what in America isn't a headline grabbing show at all), they decided to air a brief segment of the clips

For those who don't know the premise of the show, it's different to ours in the sense that the houseguests evict eachother and it all involves strategy so the public get no real say in who gets evicted. Now last night one of the 'outsider's' Helen (an Asian HG) won the power of Head of Household, meaning that she controls this week's nominations. What happened last night on the live feeds was truly horrific with the group of 'villains' acting out against her win. They flipped the matress of one of the black contestants shouting various derogatory remarks at her, leading her to be left crying in the other room being unable to deal with the prejudice.

The reason I am posting about this here is because it seems that for the time being CBS are choosing not to act against the offending HGs. Yes, they are airing SOME of the comments, showing how other HGs are challenging them on it and host Julie Chen has commented on how offended she feels by the racism, but, no one is being removed. The behaviour in the house is so much worse than ANYTHING we have seen in BBUK. It's on a completely different level to Shilpa gate, but I am interested, do you think it's the right decision to keep these contestants in the game? Or should they be removed? Is BB a social experiment that should be allowed to play out, or should they be punished for their actions like they would in UKBB?

Who cares, its America's problem, not ours.

Keep Hazel in. ;)
  • Miranda123Miranda123 Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im afraid the reason nothing is done is cause no one watches it lol
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those comments are actually shocking. What happened to her? Is she still in the house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans cherish their right to free speech, including what might be deemed derogatory and threatening.

I'm just surprised they don't let them take guns into the house.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will be looking at this thread in horror at what they can get away with over there.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,702
    Forum Member
    What is angering me the most is nobody is challenging her. We saw it slightly from Amanda in yesterdays eviction episode but Aaryn just laughed it off making the situation worse for herself.

I would like to think if something like that happened in BBUK before being booted from the show at least one of the other housemates would stand up and say enough is enough.

I don't know if any of you have seen Eye Spy on channel 4 but something like this was staged in the first episode and it was challenged.

I am also a bit narked by Howards comments of it was not aimed at me so ill not get involved.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like how producers are heaping ALL the blame on Aryan the scapegoat.

1/2 of the house have said similar nasty, racist, homophobic, sexist things, but are being swept under the carpet.
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Some of those comments are actually shocking. What happened to her? Is she still in the house?

Yes she is still in there as being racist is not a rule break in the US house. However if anybody angrily reacted to it they would be removed. :confused:
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »

1/2 of the house have said similar nasty, racist, homophobic, sexist things, but are being swept under the carpet.

I agree.

Aaryn should certainly face the music for her comments, but the others should too. It's not all her.
  • SlimSimSlimSim Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong forum this is bbuk not bbus.
    Forum Member
    achro wrote: »

Other houseguests have been showing saying things but (while it does not make it ok) these comments have more beeing in passing and used in conversations with Aaryn.

My belief is they are trying to get her onside to avoid nominations.

However now she has very little power in the house and is certain to be evicted in the next few weeks i really hope that people start to challenge her more on what she is saying
  • The InformantThe Informant Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it wrong that I'm just thinking about how hot the girls are over there :o
    Forum Member
    SlimSim wrote: »
    Wrong forum this is bbuk not bbus.

This, and the multi-cultural loving, liberal minded lovey dovey pc bs that is prevalent on C5 stops at our borders, and doesn't extend across the big pond.
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I'm just thinking about how hot the girls are over there :o

Nope, those American girls are very nice on the eyes.
  • leon_blayerleon_blayer Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Nope, those American girls are very nice on the eyes.

hell yeah
  • BelindaJBelindaJ Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn:

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::(:yawn: Shilpa was a narcissistic borefest
  • molly nogginmolly noggin Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Americans cherish their right to free speech, including what might be deemed derogatory and threatening.

I'm just surprised they don't let them take guns into the house.
    They actually throw aggressive and violent HMs out. I guess hate speech isn't illegal and if it isn't illegal they allow it.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other houseguests have been showing saying things but (while it does not make it ok) these comments have more beeing in passing and used in conversations with Aaryn.

My belief is they are trying to get her onside to avoid nominations.

However now she has very little power in the house and is certain to be evicted in the next few weeks i really hope that people start to challenge her more on what she is saying

That may have been your belief, but I'm not sure about that. Obviously now the game has changed some of them at least are looking for new alliances, but that's more because Aaryn has been largely been isolated by the producers and is seen as weak now, not necessarily because of anything outside the game.
  • Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The culprits seem like typical white Americans to me. Doesn't surprise me at all.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The culprits seem like typical white Americans to me. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Is this a troll, or are you really being racist, about racists!!!!!