'New' 3DS and 'New' 3DSXL/LL

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Wow! Surprise announcement from Nintendo!!! What are your thoughts on these new consoles??

I think they look great, but will be going for the XL personally as I don't like the coloured buttons on the standard size (although my boyfriend loves them, says they remind of his snes days). Hope they include a charger this time!!

Do you like the design? Will this be a day one purchase?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/08/new_nintendo_3ds_models_announced

Comments

• samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't own a 3DS yet.

I probably still won't get one, but I like how these look - aside from the coloured buttons. I don't like them.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I don't own a 3DS yet.

I probably still won't get one, but I like how these look - aside from the coloured buttons. I don't like them.

thats because you are too young to appreciate the genius that was the SNES, thats what Nintendo was/is all about

in fact, you are the same age as Super Mario World..
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bad move. Especially since some games are going to be exclusive to the new 3DS. It's going to be confusing for a lot of people, as they haven't even bothered to change the name - just add "new" before it. This is going be like the Wii U all over again, only 10 times worse.

They're literally 2 different handhelds with the own exclusives but called exactly the same, with games released simultaneously with each other...

and they're still releasing the older models - like the upcoming Smash 3DS XLs.... I'm slightly confused why people aren't more annoyed by the situation, actually, if MS or Sony pulled a stunt like this, people would have steam coming from their ears.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I think it's a bad move. Especially since some games are going to be exclusive to the new 3DS. It's going to be confusing for a lot of people, as they haven't even bothered to change the name - just add "new" before it. This is going be like the Wii U all over again, only 10 times worse.

They're literally 2 different handhelds with the own exclusives but called exactly the same, with games released simultaneously with each other...

yes but anybody who buys Xenoblade will know the score...its not your average mainstream game....

what will follow who knows??

and people who confuse the Wii U with the Wii must be a bit daft, maybe its these people Nintendo are trying to shake off and go back to their "hardcore" roots:)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but anybody who buys Xenoblade will know the score...its not your average mainstream game....

what will follow who knows??

and people who confuse the Wii U with the Wii must be a bit daft, maybe its these people Nintendo are trying to shake off and go back to their "hardcore" roots:)

You have to remember though, who buy these consoles? Especially the Nintendo handhelds. It's not the kids. It's the parents. I can fully understand why parents, who have no interest in gaming get confused - especially since Nintendo advertised the console using Wiimotes all of the time (I don't think we've ever seen an advert utilise the Wii U Pro controller).

Then you had those videos by Rufus Hound to clear up confusion about the difference between Wii and Wii U... AND then the video EXPLICITLY pretty much says that the U is an addon for the Wii.

Nintendo is a PR disaster.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting more and more annoyed with Nintendo of late. I originally brought my DSi, because I heard it would getting old gameboy downloads, but that never happened. My DSi broke, so didn't bother replacing it. Then recently I brought a 3DS. Most likely won't be bothering with this new one for now (famous last words).
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »

I think they are preparing for an 100% digital world, where you will see a lot of 3DS hardware upgrades which you purchase software only from the eshop. Less physical copies may mean less confusion.

I expect initially the new upgrade 3DS games to appeal to the 'core' anyway.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only bought my 3DS XL in July. But it does say these won't be available until next year. Not sure if i'd get one. I mean the next gen handheld must be due out in the next year or so surely?
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Only bought my 3DS in July. But it does say these won't be available until next year. Not sure if i'd get one. I mean the next gen handheld must be due out in the next year or so surely?

I would have said so before this announcement: but now I am not sure what a next gen handheld would be?

This is actually a big step up for handheld gaming: you keep all DS games, adding an analog stick, and two triggers, while keeping the second screen. There's also a tech spec boost! :)
    It is more of an 'core' handheld, designed at people who bought the Circle Pad Pro.
    Control and ergonomically, I think it blows the Vita out of the park, and maintains the notion that Tablets and Smartphones are strictly for the casual crowd.

It is a step in the right direction for Nintendo's handhelds; just hope there's some good 'core' games released for it!
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the time comes I might trade in my 3DSXL (& get the new version) but considering I haven't switched it on for months I don't know whether it's worth it or not! :blush:

(The last game I played was bravely default!) :)