OSX replace Windows if hardware were cheaper?

13»

Comments

• StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I did read that bit, you claimed vfm so I merely pointed out what you could get for the same amount.
    what non apple hardware are you comparing it to?

But what's the point of pointing out that I could have bought something I didn't want for the same money?:confused: If I'd wanted a laptop I would have bought a laptop.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    But what's the point of pointing out that I could have bought something I didn't want for the same money?:confused: If I'd wanted a laptop I would have bought a laptop.
    Because you were putting forward a vfm argument.
    So what non apple hardware were you comparing with?
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OSX isn't an industrial strength operating system, no good for business. Still seen as a consumer gadget from a professional point of view.

Even from a simple visual application development point of view, it lacks multidoc MDI windows capabilities. It would need at least that to get me even vaguely interested in developing for it.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Because you were putting forward a vfm argument.
    So what non apple hardware were you comparing with?

VFM in respect to small factor machines, laptops are not small form factor machines.

SFF is a bit niche, not many companies make them I looked at a range of equipment from many manufacturers from Acer to Zotac. If you want a CPU on the motherboard then there are a lot of cheaper options, but for its size and power the Mac Mini is pretty competitive.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    VFM in respect to small factor machines, laptops are not small form factor machines.

SFF is a bit niche, not many companies make them I looked at a range of equipment from many manufacturers from Acer to Zotac. If you want a CPU on the motherboard then there are a lot of cheaper options, but for its size and power the Mac Mini is pretty competitive.
    Thanks for the extra info.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if both were free i'd stick with windows

if you have someone that doesn't have a clue about computers and just wants to surf the web and do basic things like itunes then osx might be easier to use, but i couldn't do half the things i want to do as easily or cheaply on osx as windows. osx can also be particularly frustrating and annoying at times

and that's from someone that has both apple and windows systems, even a hackintosh, plus ipad and iphone and has used both windows and OSX for work. i still think IOS is preferably to android or any other mobile OS by far. simplicity and ease of use counts for more on a phone. it's a phone, not a desktop
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just waiting for a certain sentence to be posted.....then I can laugh

In Vallhunds day it would be there in page one