Options

Tesco Mobile - £1,363 bill for 350Mb Data on UNLIMITED data contract!

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis BS methinks, or "anti-advertising" at the least.
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one time I sign up for them they told me they offer 1tb Internet on contracts i thought that was good till I looked on the net and it said 500mb they lie a lot on there network.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Tesco mobile is its own network, with its own price plans, phones etc. They use O2's cell towers.

Just like Virgin is its own network but uses T-mobile towers.

No Tesco mobile is 50% owned by O2.
    :rolleyes:

It's a joint partnership between O2 and Tesco.

It's not the first time I've seen this, on another forum about 6 months ago a user had the same. He was challenging it due to the fact that no prices for excess usage were ever listed in the contract.

They settled with him for a much lower amount.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone has T-Mobile and it is set to a defined amount, 500MB or 1GB, how do they know how much data they've used.

If you ring 150 and check on your usage it says number of minutes and texts left, but on mine it says unlimited, subject to fair usage. But it doesn't tell me how much I've used, so I'll never know how near I am to that fair usage.

If you are on 500MB or 1GB then does it say similar? What about other networks?

Do any of the networks give you online access to see how much you've used, or is it available to anyone on 150? (or whatever people use for customer services)

Note. They must have this info .... otherwise how do they know when you go over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    jswift909 wrote: »
    If anyone has T-Mobile and it is set to a defined amount, 500MB or 1GB, how do they know how much data they've used.

If you ring 150 and check on your usage it says number of minutes and texts left, but on mine it says unlimited, subject to fair usage. But it doesn't tell me how much I've used, so I'll never know how near I am to that fair usage.

If you are on 500MB or 1GB then does it say similar? What about other networks?

Do any of the networks give you online access to see how much you've used, or is it available to anyone on 150? (or whatever people use for customer services)

Note. They must have this info .... otherwise how do they know when you go over.
    http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/discussions/index?page=forums&topic=8010386066c4bd012d77f4fb23007c4b

Edit: Although another thread says you can sign up for My T-Mobile online to check.

http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=content&id=FA1149&actp=search&viewlocale=en_GB&searchid=1295639338458

"
    Due to technical restrictions, the Mobile Broadband Share Dock 100 does not have a data counter. However, you can sign up for My T-Mobile to track your usage online.
    Alternatively you could choose to download 3rd party applications to monitor your internet traffic.However, remember your Fair Use Policy is shared between all users connected to the Share Dock 100"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have joined giffgaff, with their truly unlimited "no FUP" approach.

edit: oh but I forgot... thats a "pyramid scheme" according to this forum :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    should have joined giffgaff, with their truly unlimited "no FUP" approach.

edit: oh but I forgot... thats a "pyramid scheme" according to this forum :rolleyes:

I'm be amazed if that lasts another 6 months mate.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Sure I read somewhere that giff gaff were starting to ask some of their heavier users to calm down with the data
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I'm be amazed if that lasts another 6 months mate.

Do your recall screaming.net?
    Brilliant service but a bad business plan maybe scuppered by conservatives Brits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    no sign of the troll then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Brilliant service but a bad business plan maybe scuppered by conservatives Brits.

No, don't remember it. But Giffgaff are a new part of O2/Telefonica trying to make their mark, like all new setups in very mature markets they have to 'buy' customers with money losing deals to start with.

They are losing money hand over fist with £10 for unlimited mobile internet data as well as the minutes and other service they provide for that cost, whilst their sidekick O2 knocked unlimited data on the head for £30+ a month contract customers ages ago.

T-mobile introduced a recent change they will now stop downloads and streams at 500MB for new customers, Voda 500MB, Orange 750 etc, and these are higher profit contract customers paying £35 a month or whatever.

I'm amazed people are silly enough to believe that Giffgaff will continue to offer truly unlimited data for the price of a Chinese takeaway meal.

I will be quoting these posts when the unlimited data gets canned, it won't be too long now I'm sure.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For T-Mobile I checked online. There is no counter for this, but there is a tab down below and it gives a very strange table of 'Data Usage'. It's not even in date order, and you'd have to export it and sort by date, then match it with your monthly billing cycle, and total up the usage --- something they could very easily do themselves online.
    Date	                        Volume
    Thu Jan 20 08:32:11 GMT 2011	18.38
    Sun Dec 26 20:32:56 GMT 2010	1.26
    Wed Dec 29 00:15:53 GMT 2010	636.98
    Thu Dec 30 11:44:10 GMT 2010	9923.69
    Thu Dec 30 21:49:56 GMT 2010	264.95
    Fri Dec 31 19:02:13 GMT 2010	12103.22
    Fri Dec 31 20:59:07 GMT 2010	14116.38
    Sat Jan 01 00:00:01 GMT 2011	6364.03
    Sat Jan 01 01:58:57 GMT 2011	4821.86
    Sun Jan 02 12:46:16 GMT 2011	0.86
    Sat Dec 25 19:07:12 GMT 2010	4837.8
    Fri Dec 24 20:56:40 GMT 2010	418.22
    Fri Dec 24 20:40:28 GMT 2010	3620.74

The figure is in Kb, 14116.38 is 14.1MB or perhaps MegaBit (?) since they used a small "b" in their "Kb" on screen :eek:

Obviously I remember December 31st well - I made good use of the MAPS app - and I'm guessing that made a big difference to my usage.

Note. I almost never use 3G as I have Wifi and use that most of the time right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »
    Its pretty daft.

I used to log on to their web site to download a CSV file. I opened it with gnumeric to sum the list of totals!
    You can view the list in a web page and count manually too!

However its not that important to do in that if you use excess you only lose streaming and such with no extra charges whatsoever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    No Tesco mobile is 50% owned by O2.
    :rolleyes:

It's a joint partnership between O2 and Tesco.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

Also, for Tesco mobile, their online account, now shows used MB's and remaining MB's [I haven't used data this month yet] but the following is accessed under "view usage since last bill".

[This is a recent change, when i first joined they didn't have this layout.]

So its possible to find out how much you've used.

60772319.png
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep i was with screaming.net became impossible to get online, think i moved to freeserve.Will stay with giffgaff however long it lasts or FUPs come in like the rest of the networks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its possible to find out how much you've used.

60772319.png

I notice that it does tell you on that page that exceeding the FUP is chargeable and refers you to the terms and conditions for details.

I still can't see any specific costs associated with exceeding the FUP but I can see:

You may not use your SIM Card:
    (a) in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    (b) to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (VOIP), P2P or file sharing; or
    (c) in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other Tesco Mobile or Telefonica O2 UK customers.

4.4 If we reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this paragraph, we reserve the right to impose further charges

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=100
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Yep i was with screaming.net became impossible to get online, think i moved to freeserve.Will stay with giffgaff however long it lasts or FUPs come in like the rest of the networks.
    Being 'free' it was hard to complain. As it became too popular it would take up to 100 dials to connect.

I ended up using my own repeat dialer which would then do a loud bugle call on connection.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Pretty shady if true, kind of like how the banks used to do over draft, doing you a favor by not telling you, and just charging fine after fine after fine, basically they are taking advantage of you rather than treating you as a good customer. Before such fines take place they should have warned you. Then atleast they would be sure that it was on purpose that you wanted to go over and pay whatever fees they demanded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I notice that it does tell you on that page that exceeding the FUP is chargeable and refers you to the terms and conditions for details.

I still can't see any specific costs associated with exceeding the FUP but I can see:

You may not use your SIM Card:
    (a) in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    (b) to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (VOIP), P2P or file sharing; or
    (c) in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other Tesco Mobile or Telefonica O2 UK customers.

4.4 If we reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this paragraph, we reserve the right to impose further charges

http://www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=100

Its underneath that:
    4.3 Once you have used all your Inclusive Credit, any data use which would previously have been included will be charged at the current rate Click here for details. The click here is:
    http://www.tesco.net/mobilenetwork/content.aspx?page=35
    Stating £4/MB
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    GeorgeBR wrote: »
    I have just been charged £1,363.47 by Tesco Mobile for going over their arbitrary "fair use policy" on their UNLIMITED DATA contract by just 350Mb!

While I appreciate a "fair use policy" is necessary, Tesco Mobile's 1Gb/month limit is lower than almost all the limited contracts. This fair use limit is just plain old dishonest selling. IF the fair use policy was there to protect their network then they could have restricted my access - but at £4/Mb that means I could be paying nearly £600 for an App update!

The store sold it to me as a truly unlimited data contract - nothing was said about a fair use policy (let alone a particularly small one!) Likewise, I asked the store if I could use the SIM in an iPhone and they a said I could use it in any device.

It's time Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority got some teeth and did something about these companies. If I advertised "gold" but put in very small letters that it could actually be plastic they wouldn't accept that!

:eek:! I'd suggest getting help from the CAB here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/, putting any complaints in writing personally addressed to their Chief Executive and pointing out that you'll be taking this matter up with BBC1's Watchdog consumer programme. That all helps to make scumbags back down when they act excessively harshly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a joke these out of bundle rates, £4096.00 per gigabyte !!! on a plan that is sold as unlimited.

I'm sure the BBC's Watchdog would be interested, 2 of the biggest companies in the UK, 50% owned by O2 and 50% by Tesco, the BBC would love that story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a joke these out of bundle rates, £4096.00 per gigabyte !

Anyone dared to look at what it would have cost roaming abroad. An expensive byte?
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed people are silly enough to believe that Giffgaff will continue to offer truly unlimited data for the price of a Chinese takeaway meal.

I will be quoting these posts when the unlimited data gets canned, it won't be too long now I'm sure.

I've been with giffgaff 7 months and so far, it's cost me £40.

In that time, I've made use of worry-free unlimited internet, free 0800 numbers, as well as unlimited free calls and texts to other giffgaff users - in other words, most of my friends and family.

If I had stayed with o2, for which I was paying £20 a month for more or less what I'm getting now, I would have spent around £140 for what I believe is less.

I don't believe in loyalty to companies. I choose who I believe is the best and cheapest provider. I know giffgaff's generosity won't last forever as they are now, but there's no harm milking it for as long as I can. I'm only richer for it. :)

If giffgaff become expensive like the rest, I'll switch to who I believe are the next best. But to be honest, giffgaff have a long, long way to sink before they even come close to the other networks' standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone dared to look at what it would have cost roaming abroad. An expensive byte?

EU still £4/MB, rest of the world £8/MB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    But to be honest, giffgaff have a long, long way to sink before they even come close to the other networks' standards.

I would agree with that, but rather not chop and change, or go somewhere just because they are cheap for less than a year at the cost of other things like being able to call them, 3G coverage and speeds etc. but different people want different things from a mobile network.

On topic for this thread though do Tesco state that 1GB is the FUP? if not I don't see how they can reasonably expect to be able to charge fees into the thousands of pounds as people have not contractually agreed.

It wouldn't be legal if the contract was open to interpretation and unclear about what the charges were before the bill was sent.

If they do clearly state the FUP is 1GB and the fee is £4.00 a MB over that then the OP is screwed, but I can't see that in the terms.