Crimes of Passion (Swedish crime drama) BBC4

Comments

• allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all enjoyed it. Sure, it was a bit fluffy but it was a nice break from the relentless depression of Montalbano et al.

Not sure why so many people hated it, it was exactly what it was billed as - Mad Men crossed with Agatha Christie.

A few FMs have likened this to Christie. IMO, she has much better plots and characters but I LOVED the 50s feel, hearing Swedish again and a straightforward murder mystery, not to mention the atmos of the island and the stunning photography.
    It's no Wallander though but nicely escapist! And Ola Rapace... mmmmmmmm (not as hot as he was in Wallander!:()
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better than last week's (or, perhaps it's the same "getting the hang of it" that I had with Mentalbaldy), but if the same kind of motive is going to be behind each murder (last week, lesbianism, this week, incest - next week, homosexuality?) then it will be a bit of a struggle to keep watching.

But it looks nice, and passes the time nicely, so i'll probably stick with it...

K
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Much better than last week's (or, perhaps it's the same "getting the hang of it" that I had with Mentalbaldy), but if the same kind of motive is going to be behind each murder (last week, lesbianism, this week, incest - next week, homosexuality?) then it will be a bit of a struggle to keep watching.

But it looks nice, and passes the time nicely, so i'll probably stick with it...

K

Wasn't the old guy her stepfather not her birth father???

If so, while it would still be a bit iffy, it wouldn't be incest
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to say, we thoroughly this weeks episode....just what one needs sometimes...light escapism...Reminds one of how some of the 1950's was like...
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Whilst Crimes Of Passion is not in the same league as The Bridge, it is still a decent murder mystery programme. With tonight's mystery, it kept me guessing until the reveal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Wasn't the old guy her stepfather not her birth father???

If so, while it would still be a bit iffy, it wouldn't be incest
    You're right, i remember that bit now - but I still reckon that I'm right about the basic premise, that it will be an "illicit" relationship that underlies the main murder each week.

K
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A better mystery this week and, although I find some of the 'middle class 1950s quaintness' a bit cloying at times, I actually enjoyed it.
    And yes, it is good to watch a Swedish drama again (even if it isn't in the same league as The Bridge et al) and I'm quite happy watching Ola Rapace too, even if he isn't quite as skinny, interesting and troubled looking as he was in Wallander. :)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i think now that i know what to expect, it passed the time nicely.

Same here. It passed the time quite nicely last night.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dina was very foxy. Made it worth watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, week 1 had impressive official ratings:

CRIMES OF PASSION (SAT 2102) 1,001k

Bet it drops significantly for week 2!

K
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing that Crimes of Passion is not everybody's cup of tea and although set in the 1950's and cannot be compared to Agatha Christie's novels or The Bridge etc, it still imbibes a certain quaintness about the series.

Liking old fashioned murder mysteries sometimes, last episode helped to pass the time nicely. Loved the scenery.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing that Crimes of Passion is not everybody's cup of tea and although set in the 1950's and cannot be compared to Agatha Christie's novels or The Bridge etc, it still imbibes a certain quaintness about the series.

Liking old fashioned murder mysteries sometimes, last episode helped to pass the time nicely. Loved the scenery.

The positives in this series are, the production values, the scenery, some of the characters, (but no one outstanding) and as a drama, it's watchable.

The negatives are, that to be able to watch a half-way decent drama on Saturday night on the BBC, once "The World's Premier Broadcaster," it has to be a foreign import with naffin' subtitles.

(I don't count Dr Who, as it's a kids' programme, now tailored for an adolescent mentality).
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it (not sure if that's really the right word), it is definitely growing on me as I get to know the people and what to expect storywise.
    I like the fact the non of the three main characters are saints. I enjoy it visually too.
    A problem I have found with the subtitles is that they sometimes blend into the scenery - maybe because they are white?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I enjoyed it (not sure if that's really the right word), it is definitely growing on me as I get to know the people and what to expect storywise.
    I like the fact the non of the three main characters are saints. I enjoy it visually too.
    A problem I have found with the subtitles is that they sometimes blend into the scenery - maybe because they are white?

Probably, but for people like me who aren't "telly addicts" you can follow most dramas without having to watch the screen all the time, being able to understand the dialogue means that you don't have to concentrate so hard.
    There are some classic subtitled films that I'll watch every now and again, having a smattering of French helps with this one, but so much in this one is visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKQdp6iGUk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, not homosexuality (yet!), but underage sex and illegitimate offspring this week. Still didn't have a clue whodunnit until the reveal so it gets the thumbs up from me!

K
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Still didn't have a clue whodunnit until the reveal so it gets the thumbs up from me!

K
    I knew whodunnit as soon as the villainess threw abuse at the cat. :)

And for a house cat, that cat got out an awful lot!

Still enjoying this.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably, but for people like me who aren't "telly addicts" you can follow most dramas without having to watch the screen all the time, being able to understand the dialogue means that you don't have to concentrate so hard.
    There are some classic subtitled films that I'll watch every now and again, having a smattering of French helps with this one, but so much in this one is visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKQdp6iGUk

Yes that's very true, there are not many programmes that keep me just glued to the screen and usually I am skimming through a magazine, on my ipad or most usually knitting or sewing etc at the same time. I can sit for hours reading but TV dosnt grip me the same - usually.
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though its light I am quite enjoying. It has the best opening title sequence on TV at the moment.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the 2nd episode by accident and enjoyed it although reading sub titles does annoy me a bit. Scroug or wherever is just the St Mary Mead of Sweden set in exactly the same time warp of late 50s/early 60s. But its well acted, light and enjoyable even though it seems to be constantly in a fug of cigarette smoke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Episode 2 gained 751k viewers. Still slightly better than the Arne Dahl average and better than all of Spiral. Only fractionally worse than the last Wallander series and the last series of Borgen.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    I knew whodunnit as soon as the villainess threw abuse at the cat. :)

And for a house cat, that cat got out an awful lot!

Still enjoying this.
    Same here! Looking like a pantomime villain, being snotty to Puck and dissing the cat had her card marked!
    And I kept commenting that for an indoor cat Thotmes sure liked the great outdoors :)
    A bit confused by the casting of Lou and husband Yngve. Lou was supposed to be young and gorgeous and her bloke old and ugly. Well he wasn't that bad and I thought looked no older than Lou whose 'beauty' seemed to be down to a ton of clown like slap. Each to their own I suppose
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missed the first episode. found the second on iplayer and started it without knowing anything about the show. subtitles at the start. oh, they have swedish guests at the wedding methought lolz.. i liked it... like st mary mead transported to 50s sweden...

in fairness to agatha christie, i guessed both killers in episodes 2 & 3 even before the reveal :blush::D
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love this show, now I have got the hang of it. It has become my favourite thing on. The designers and set dressers are having a ball, and the slow pace is just right for me in my old age. There is good acting too--Tommy and Agneta's parents were very well performed, I thought--an almost Bergmanesque pair. I know the plots are dodgy (who tries to murder someone by putting soap on a step?), but then so they are in The Bridge, where no one seems to mind.

My favourite parts are the beginnings, before anyone has been murdered, when everyone is happy and Puck and Einar have yet to fall out. And how lovely is Skoga? I would very much like to live there, among the cute wooden houses surrounded by horticulture; but the population would need to be changed first, or I would have to keep looking over my shoulder every time I took afternoon tea.

Finally, I am slowly falling, against my will, in love with that Puck. She is so blasted cute (and knows how to wear a pair of cut-off slacks all right). It makes a nice change to have a female Scandinavian sleuth who is merely eccentric rather than totally off her nut.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love this show, now I have got the hang of it. It has become my favourite thing on. The designers and set dressers are having a ball, and the slow pace is just right for me in my old age. There is good acting too--Tommy and Agneta's parents were very well performed, I thought--an almost Bergmanesque pair. I know the plots are dodgy (who tries to murder someone by putting soap on a step?), but then so they are in The Bridge, where no one seems to mind.

My favourite parts are the beginnings, before anyone has been murdered, when everyone is happy and Puck and Einar have yet to fall out. And how lovely is Skoga? I would very much like to live there, among the cute wooden houses surrounded by horticulture; but the population would need to be changed first, or I would have to keep looking over my shoulder every time I took afternoon tea.

Finally, I am slowly falling, against my will, in love with that Puck. She is so blasted cute (and knows how to wear a pair of cut-off slacks all right). It makes a nice change to have a female Scandinavian sleuth who is merely eccentric rather than totally off her nut.

I'm sure it's done a lot more to boost the Swedish tourist economy that The Bridge did.

Never ending summers, beautiful people, and everything is in colour, not a dirty washed out grey.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, not homosexuality (yet!), but underage sex and illegitimate offspring this week. Still didn't have a clue whodunnit until the reveal so it gets the thumbs up from me!

K

No incest yet either