Was Shameless groundbreaking and relevant?

BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ8M9cIJNU

Fast forward to 3 minutes and 35 seconds with the scene involving Ian Gallagher, Lip Gallagher, Frank Gallagher and Debbie Gallagher. That scene sums up the show for me, I always found it rather powerful.

I never knew what to think of Frank throughout the series. What about you?

The eventually Maguire takeover was something I never adjusted to.

Comments

• Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about the Maguires.

Mickey was the only bearable member of that family (oh, and Mandy, for a bit).
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the first two series - Debbie was my favourite because I found her so relateable. Never saw the later series but heard they fell away. I think by the end the writing team was like a factory on the same sort of scale as Waterloo Road, making it more soapy than drama. But I suppose it was groundbreaking in its day to see an actual depiction of a council estate in a decade that put precedence over middle-class Britishness,
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I agree with you about the Maguires.

Mickey was the only bearable member of that family (oh, and Mandy, for a bit).

I'll tell my niece Samantha Who played her😄 !
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Groundbreaking but not relevant
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the first couple of years, it was excellent, but as the good actors left, the quality went with them. By the end, we had entire episodes based around Mimi's toy-boy husband. It was painful.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a shadow of its former self when the show limped to its conclusion in 2013. For me, the first three seasons were superb, four was decent enough, five was a real blip but they really pulled it back with decent long running arcs in six and seven. Series 8 onwards was an absolute disgrace.
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you think of Frank?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    What counts as groundbreaking though?
    Depicting, something in a way it's never been covered before?
    New fiming and editing techniques?
    Something that leaves a legacy of programs that have taken elements from it?

Shouldn't really do this again, but I got out of the program a long time before it ended.
    Family members just F'ing off between series without an explanation or exit storyline.
    Program, I liked going to $hit for no reason peed me right off.

Seen the first couple series of the US version, very very different, but that brought me to tears at one point in the second series.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Series 1 to 3 were absolutely fantastic. I own them all on DVD and rewatch them every now again again. Series 4 was also rather good but the cracks started to appear at this point. Quite a few of the best characters had gone - Sheila being my favourite.

From Series 5 onwards the quality of both the writing and production just dipped more and more each passing episode. I eventually gave up watching completely around the middle of series 7.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was particularly groundbreaking. It was adventurous in that it portrayed chavs sympathetically and I don't think that had really been done before.

The first couple of series were excellent - McAvoy, Maxine Peake etc - some terrific actors. The later series were dreadful. I never understood why the pikey family became the key characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gallaghers quickly ran out. Even Carl Gallagher left at one point and Frank had f all to do in the later series with no family around him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Seen the first couple series of the US version, very very different, but that brought me to tears at one point in the second series.

American Shameless is superb, with some outstanding performances. I can't wait for the next season to start in January.

Unlike the UK version, they are mostly hanging on to their excellent cast.

And Emmy Rossum is sooooo lovely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Carol Fisher in the US version?

Americans seem to have loyal actors!

Steve and Fiona were in less then 20 episodes!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US actors usually sign five years contracts and it's steady work and good work. Anne Marie Duff and James McAvoy did start to get more work and they simply couldn't to doing Shameless and films/TV so they left. Anne Marie Duff did return for the final episodes.

I think once Shameless expanded to 16-22 episodes, the quality went downhill and it went on too long.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Brookside wrote: »
    Is Carol Fisher in the US version?

Americans seem to have loyal actors!

Steve and Fiona were in less then 20 episodes!

As the other FM said in the US they make the actors sign up to very long contracts (5 or 7 years IIRC) from the off, whether they actually serve out that contract is another matter.
    Also not so clever if the actor wants out or only got into it thinking it would quickly die a a death, money without the exposure.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the other FM said in the US they make the actors sign up to very long contracts (5 or 7 years IIRC) from the off, whether they actually serve out that contract is another matter.
    Also not so clever if the actor wants out or only got into it thinking it would quickly die a a death, money without the exposure.

Patrick Stewart's agent recommended him to do Star Trek the Next Generation as he thought it was only last a season but ended up airing for 7 years but I imagine the money and exposure Patrick Stewart got likely eased the pain,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow really! But what if you hate doing the show? UK should do this!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was particularly groundbreaking. It was adventurous in that it portrayed chavs sympathetically and I don't think that had really been done before.

The first couple of series were excellent - McAvoy, Maxine Peake etc - some terrific actors. The later series were dreadful. I never understood why the pikey family became the key characters.

The first couple of series were good. But it gradually petered out. It's rare that I watch episodic tv but I always watched Shameless when it started. Eventually I stopped watching it. 'nuff said.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Just going to repeat everything everyone else said. Well written and with a lot to say to begin with, became a cartoon when the Macguires showed up.

The US version has done a very good job of not only capturing what Shameless UK was to begin with, but also running with it and making it their own.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I'll tell my niece Samantha Who played her😄 !

What's she up to these days, still acting?
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    What's she up to these days, still acting?

Certainly is At Oldham Coliseum this week
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Certainly is At Oldham Coliseum this week

Nice one :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many children does Frank Gallagher have... 9 on my last count!

Fiona Gallagher
    Phillip Gallagher
    Carl Gallagher
    Debbie Gallagher
    Liam Gallagher
    Stella Gallagher
    Nigel Gallagher
    Delilah Gallagher
    Ben Gallagher (revealed when he mad e a video thinking he was dying)
    Step Children

Karen Jackson
    Ian Gallagher

Grandchildren

Katie Maguire
    (Fionas child)
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will forever watch series 2 and 3 as they are two of my favourites of any show I like, Fiona was just the most well acted character and it was hilarious until it jumped the shark massively