Options

Dog stung by wasp

4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My poor little dog has been stung by a wasp this morning. She seems ok, no allergic reaction or anything. Anyone know if I can give her anything for the pain, and how long she'll be in pain. She seems proper down in the dumps. :(

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check that the sting is actually out!

If so, give the sting site a good wash in Vinegar.

Wasp stings are alkali so are neutralised by acid - visa versa for a Bee (use a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is I can't see the site of the sting. I saw the wasp and my dog's reaction when she was stung and now she's proper fed up.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    You could ring your vet surgery for advice.

Years ago my retriever was stung on the side of her face (or in her mouth!) - she was fine in herself but it swelled up something dreadful and she looked awful. She needed an antihistamine injection from the vet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you can't find the site I would tend to agree with Osusana - phone the vet and see if it is OK to give Piriton.

My dog takes Piriton for her allergies (hardly any this year yay!!) so hopefully after checking with your vet - who knows your dogs medical history, breed, weight etc - s/he'll OK you for this.

Do try to find the site - just gently running your hands all over dog might find it - could be raised & hot and dog may react.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. The vet said to give her an antihistamine and as aspirin, which I did and she seems a bit better now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check that the sting is actually out!If so, give the sting site a good wash in Vinegar.

Wasp stings are alkali so are neutralised by acid - visa versa for a Bee (use a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda)

Wasps dont leave stings, only bees do, wasps have a totally different sting mechanism to bees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasps dont leave stings, only bees do, wasps have a totally different sting mechanism to bees.

Bees always leave a sting - Wasps sometimes do - though this is a result of damage such as swatting or a dog scratching at a sudden sting rather than by design. Thus it is always worth checking the stinger isn't still embedded when a dog gets stung.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Bees always leave a sting - Wasps sometimes do - though this is a result of damage such as swatting or a dog scratching at a sudden sting rather than by design. Thus it is always worth checking the stinger isn't still embedded when a dog gets stung.

True, my dog was stung by a wasp a couple of years ago on her ear.

She was quite distressed initially but I spotted the sting (like a thin splinter rather than the barbed bee-type sting) which I managed to pull out, much to her relief. She hates wasps now and snaps at them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Difference is a bees sting will continue to pump venom as the sac gets pulled out of the bees body when it stings hence why a bee dies when it stings, wasps use a diffferent method of delivering the venom and on the rare occasion the wasp sting barb is still stuck in the flesh its not pumping in anymore venom. Pretty rare for a wasp to leave anything behind, they sting so fast by the time the dog even knows about it its flown off.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other reason to remove a bee sting and wash the site (with something soapy and scented - I use iodine) is that bee stings continue to pump out an "alert, danger" scene which attracts other bees to come and sting at the same place. I know this from experience!

The scent can be quite long-lasting as, when I've been stung on my beekeepers' gloves, a month later when I've gone to the hive, bees have shown an unhealthy interest in exactly the same spot on the glove.