One for the girls: MRI scan with IUD?

Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Girls, anyone had an MRI with an IUD?

I've been asked to consider having an MRI, and am weighing up some of the issues involved (claustrophobia, IUD removal etc). Grateful for your experiences.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had an MRI with the Mirena coil in, twice and it is not a problem at all. I even was able to keep my jeans on, so I didn't have to wear the bum chilling gown, thank god!

As for the claustrophobia, you can ask to be sedated if you wish, which is what I am going to do for my next one. Best if you can bring someone with you though.

It is VERY noisy as well, like you wouldn't believe, I would compare it to sitting in a metal dustbin while someone hammers at it (it's not unpleasant, just bad on the ears) so bring a CD or ask for earplugs.

Good luck, and I'm sorry if I've scared you :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    What she said above ^ the IUD is no problem - you just declare it on the form you fill out before hand. :)

Also the majority of MRI scanners are donought shaped now (usually open ended at both ends). Long gone are the days when you go into a scary hole in the wall!

In fact you will very rarely find an enclose MRI scanner.

If you are worried about claustrophobia ask for a pre med to relax you before hand. A cheeky diazepam or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what part of the body is going inside. Is an IUD metal? In which case you wont be allowed to wear it.

Jeans in an MRI?! That's a new one on me seeing as they insist on all metal jewellery going, and you can't go in if you have had any metal inserts. Jeans have zips!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    What she said above ^ the IUD is no problem - you just declare it on the form you fill out before hand. :)

Also the majority of MRI scanners are donought shaped now.

In fact you will very rarely find an enclose MRI scanner.

If you are worried about claustrophobia ask for a pre med to relax you before hand. A cheeky diazepam or something.

Interesting, CAT scanners are doughnut, never come across a doughnut MRI in all my years of working with them.
    Forum Member
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    Interesting, CAT scanners are doughnut, never come across a doughnut MRI in all my years of working with them.

Interestingly so are MRI scanners. The old style have been gradually phased out in most trusts across the UK. I don't know the last time you worked in a hospital but I can confidently say that in all the hospitals I have ever been in I have only ever saw these in use now. Any radiographer will back me up on this I am sure.

CT and MRI scanners use the same style of machines. Only they differ in the imaging that they use to produce different scans.

MRI scanners:

http://www.greenemedicalimaging.com/images/mri.jpg

http://www.mbillphysio.com/Images/MRI%20scanner.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2007/09/07/02_mri_scanner_470x352.jpg

http://www.tcmedcenter.com/Websites/TownerCountyMedicalCenter/images/default/mri.jpg

If I were the owner of this post I would call the MRI dept of the hospital you are going to and enquirer about the machine they use to put your mind at rest.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your quick replies, - I'll call the hospital for more info, and it would be useful to understand in advance how long the scan will take.

A cheeky sedative sounds like a good idea :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly so are MRI scanners. The old style have been gradually phased out in most trusts across the UK. I don't know the last time you worked in a hospital but I can confidently say that in all the hospitals I have ever been in I have only ever saw these in use now. Any radiographer will back me up on this I am sure.

CT and MRI scanners use the same style of machines. Only they differ in the imaging that they use to produce different scans.

MRI scanners:

http://www.greenemedicalimaging.com/images/mri.jpg

http://www.mbillphysio.com/Images/MRI%20scanner.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2007/09/07/02_mri_scanner_470x352.jpg

http://www.tcmedcenter.com/Websites/TownerCountyMedicalCenter/images/default/mri.jpg

If I were the owner of this post I would call the MRI dept of the hospital you are going to and enquirer about the machine they use to put your mind at rest.

That's not what I call doughnut lol they are tunnels.

So you think you can wear metal in the MRI room still?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had an MRI done at kings college, London about 3 years ago. It was a "tube" style one. I was part of a research study, so spent over 2 hours inside it. I did feel a bit weird to start off with but settled down. They are very noisy inside - which was unexpected. Lots of clanking!
    Forum Member
    That's not what I call doughnut lol they are tunnels.
    Erm yes they are. This style of machine are commonly known as the 'doughnut style'. If you are unsure fluffy egg you should ask the radiography dept at your hospital. I am sure they can give you a quick talk about the types and styles of MRI scanners.

Coincidentally they are the exact same style as CT scanners which you also claimed are 'doughnut style'.

Seeing as you work in a hospital (porter? Domestic? Tea lady?:p) you will know that this is the common term used for this type of machine.

:)
    So you think you can wear metal in the MRI room still?

Nope. I did not say that any where in my post. :confused: However if you want to think I did then that is fine by me ;) (you do know that IUDs are made of plastic AND copper)

I did in fact previously say that you can wear the IUD. (some radiographers wont allow it, most do) I also said as long as you declare it on the form you fill out, the radiographer will make the decision. If you can't then of course the radiographer will inform mumof3 this.

Fluffy egg, I am not going to get into a heated debate with you about MRI and CT scanners. I am merely giving the poster advice of something which I have had experience of.

I also advised mumof3 to contact her local hospital to find out what type of scanner they will use.

You may be right and they may have the older style of the 'hole in the wall' scanner (see this artical) http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/info/prostate_cancer/tests_mri.asp

Neither of us are wrong. But in more instances now they use the doughnut open-ended scanner. mumof3's hospital may very well use the tunnel scanner. I don't know. I have never been to her hospital I am sure. I was giving advice of the experience I have had.

However there is no point in scare mongering mumof3 or trying to score points of who is right and who is wrong. As far as I can make out neither of us are qualified to inform mumof3 about what type of scanner HER hospital use and what HER hospitals radiographer decides on the use or MRI when one has the IUD implanted.

What ever scanner she has to use her hospital can inform her and prepare her for this. Not us. Seeing as neither of us are radiographers ;)

Hope that helps clear up your concern about MRI scanners and myself. :)
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    I had an MRI done at kings college, London about 3 years ago. It was a "tube" style one. I was part of a research study, so spent over 2 hours inside it. I did feel a bit weird to start off with but settled down. They are very noisy inside - which was unexpected. Lots of clanking!

Oh god I could never do that :eek: I hate the tube style ones. I could never go in one for longer than 2 secs! You are brave staying in for that long! :D
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    I wore my jeans for an MRI a couple of weeks ago so you can wear metal, I asked if I needed to change and I was told no
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    You only need to remove any metal that is in your body, i.e peircings etc that could be ripped out. Most places let you keep your jeans on :)
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    You only need to remove any metal that is in your body, i.e peircings etc that could be ripped out. Most places let you keep your jeans on :)

that makes sense :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah.....I'm going to put my head back in the sand for a bit, but thanks all the same guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That reminds me, sorry to veer from the question, I still have my IUD and am well past the menopause. I forgot it was still there!
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Just to go OT for a mo, but can anyone tell my what the difference is between CT and MRI scanning?

Why would somenone have a CT scan and not an MRI , and vice versa?
  • imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    Just to go OT for a mo, but can anyone tell my what the difference is between CT and MRI scanning?

i would like to know this too.my son had both last yeat and i forgot to ask!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »

CT uses X rays, so brings with it the dangers of X rays. MRI uses magnets and is a lot safer
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CT scans use X rays (the full name is X-ray computed tomography). MRIs use magnetic fields (magnetic resonance imaging). The different technologies have different strengths and weakenesses, so the doctors involved will choose the most appropriate one for every scenario. For examply, X-rays are great at picking up dense objects like bone, but not so great on soft tissue. MRIs can show more detail in soft tissue, and even between different kinds of soft tissue :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god I could never do that :eek: I hate the tube style ones. I could never go in one for longer than 2 secs! You are brave staying in for that long! :D

Heh! I had a moment near the start when I wasn't happy but somehow got over myself. Mind you I did have to come out half way through as I was busting for the loo. They weren't happy as it took a good 20 minutes or more to set it up and get all the measurements right before they could restart the test.

All for science. Though I did get a free brain scan, where they found nothing (save for my brain, of course!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errodiel wrote: »
    CT scans use X rays (the full name is X-ray computed tomography). MRIs use magnetic fields (magnetic resonance imaging). The different technologies have different strengths and weakenesses, so the doctors involved will choose the most appropriate one for every scenario. For examply, X-rays are great at picking up dense objects like bone, but not so great on soft tissue. MRIs can show more detail in soft tissue, and even between different kinds of soft tissue :)

I felt clever just reading that :)
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I felt clever just reading that :)

:D:D:D

I will admit, I had to look it up. I had lectures on this stuff but it all seems very dim and distant now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's all booked for next Thursday, it'll last about 30mins plus all the procedural paperwork, and IUD's are fine at this particular hospital.

Just leaves me a week to chew those fingernails...
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that some of you say you've had no issue wearing jeans etc. I've got an MRI booked for next Thursday too and they specifically asked me not to wear anything that contained metal button or zips. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Well, it's all booked for next Thursday, it'll last about 30mins plus all the procedural paperwork, and IUD's are fine at this particular hospital.

Just leaves me a week to chew those fingernails...

Good luck hun! I am dying to ask what type of machine they are going to use but if you say hole in the wall over doughnut I will cry! :cry::D:D

You will be fine xx