Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I really don't see the need for a Female Doctor though, For one I wouldn't want to see hordes of transvsestite fanboys posting pictures of themselves dressed as her.
    But you're okay with the hordes of transvestite girls already posting pictures of themselves as him?
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I see the Doctor as a male character. Beyond that, I don't mind what age, race, sexual orientation or nationality he is.
    Agreed 100%. As long as whoever they choose is a good actor, and is backed by good writing, And is male, I'll give it a chance.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the ones in bold, I honestly wouldn't mind much of these.

Right then, so a gay black dwarf it is! :D

American Doctor? ....... Only if it's Larry the Cable Guy.

;)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Agreed 100%. As long as whoever they choose is a good actor, and is backed by good writing, And is male, I'll give it a chance.

Pretty much yeah.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I like the bagel idea. Then the Doctor would come full circle. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    I like the bagel idea. Then the Doctor would come full circle. :o

That was rather ill bread.
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't accept a female Doctor. Not for any sexist reasons, but simply because he isn't a woman.

I couldn't accept an American Doctor. It just wouldn't be right. I mean I'm a northerner myself but the northern 9th Doctor was pushing it a little. Imagine a Doctor with a really strong New York accent. You couldn't possibly take him seriously.

I don't particularly like the idea of making the Doctors sexuality an issue. Whether the Doctors straight, gay or bi doesn't really matter, it just shouldn't be an issue.

I am not averse to a black Doctor, as long as it was a good, serious actor with gravitas. I was quite keen on the idea of Paterson Joseph myself.

No the Doctor shouldn't be a dwarf either. Or wheelchair bound. He's got to be able to reach over the console, hasn't he. ;)
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as he's male over 20 and (I'm sorry) able to speak in British accent, it's fine with me. I only prefer a Doctor ho speaks in a British accent because that's what I'm used to.

There's nothing wrong with the actor being gay or black.
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    That was rather ill bread.

No kneed to be sour, doh! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    No kneed to be sour, doh! :D

Personally I think the whole idea is half-baked!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    Personally I think the whole idea is half-baked!

Donut knock it till you've tried it, at yeast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donut knock it till you've tried it, at yeast.

No, you won't get me to "rise" to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you won't get me to "rise" to it.

Shouldn't we be discussing the Doctor's roll?
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't we be discussing the Doctor's roll?

Doesn't matter. Which ever way you slice it, they'll end up discussing his buns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Which ever way you slice it, they'll end up discussing his buns.

This discussions getting stale.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    As long as he's male over 20 and (I'm sorry) able to speak in British accent, it's fine with me. I only prefer a Doctor who speaks in a British accent because that's what I'm used to.

Would you expand that to include Irish, Scottish and Welsh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely not all at the same time?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not although he could try put different accents after a regeneration trying them on for size.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I couldn't accept a female Doctor. Not for any sexist reasons, but simply because he isn't a woman.

As he's a different species, how do you know?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black, Chinese - fine, I'm staggered that this can even be considered an issue!

Female - I can see the issue a little more because our genders do change the person we are and how we physically interact with others in an important biological way that race doesn't, but if it's good enough for the Corsair, then it's good enough for the Doctor. I'm absolutely cool with them casting a lady.

Dwarf - show me a fantastic short actor, and I'll show you a fantastic short Doctor. Absolutely no problem, why would his height be constant?

American - Here, I sort of agree. Not because I don't love the US, I do, it's great, but I think there's something peculiarly cultural about Doctor Who. It's quintessentially British, and I think the accent is an important cultural signifier. I'd be fine with an American actor, but I think we're rather proud of Doctor Who as a show. We feel ownership of it as a society, like it's part of our heritage, so I'd like the lead to remain very distinctly "ours." For now, at least.

I understand where the concerns are coming from, because I don't know that corporate box-ticking is the right way to combat prejudice, and there's a fear that casting a female Doctor might be done as a stunt or to fill a quota. I do, however, think a fantastic actor is a fantastic actor, and Doctor Who's nothing if not a testament to a universe full of limitless possibilities. Why wouldn't he regenerate short?
  • Inseriousity.Inseriousity. Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The next doctor has to be a ginger :D
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

In what way are Scottish, Welsh and (Northern) Irish accents not British?
    rwebster wrote:
    I understand where the concerns are coming from, because I don't know that corporate box-ticking is the right way to combat prejudice, and there's a fear that casting a female Doctor might be done as a stunt or to fill a quota.
    The problem I see is that no matter what the reasons for it, casting a woman would be decried as box-ticking or stunt casting. How could the producers ever manage to make the transition without having that slung their way? There's no way round that pre-judgement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As he's a different species, how do you know?

After seeing The Ribos Operation I hope I can tell the difference. :o
    rwebster wrote: »

Why wouldn't he regenerate short?

Happened in 1987. :)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Black, Chinese - fine, I'm staggered that this can even be considered an issue!

Me too. I thought we'd moved past stuff like that. That's why I voted 'yes'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem I see is that no matter what the reasons for it, casting a woman would be decried as box-ticking or stunt casting. How could the producers ever manage to make the transition without having that slung their way? There's no way round that pre-judgement.

I broadly agree, as the show stands now - but I do think there are ways around the hubbub. I think any hoopla would be mitigated quite a lot if we'd seen other Time Lords do it first, for instance. If series eight, for instance, had a two-parter that saw the Corsair regenerate from Al Murray (ha - or whoever!) into Jessica Brown Findlay (or whoever), then I think it'd open it up as an option in a lot of people's minds. I'm sure there'd still be a bit of media hype, but I think having a memorable guest-character set a precedent could ease the idea of Time Lord gender-swaps into the public's minds.

By series eleven (or whenever!) the idea that a Time Lord can occasionally swap genders wouldn't be new, sensational, or particularly volatile. It'd just be part of the show's history, part of established lore, and that would make it significantly easier to swallow as part of the show's future. And I don't think a future producer would then feel like they needed to limit their search to a single gender.