Acer Aspire, need second opinion on diagnosis.

Just been given a dead Acer Aspire 5535. Powers on but no display, the backlight doesn't even come on and it's same story when connected to an external monitor. I've swapped out the RAM chips with ones that I know are fully working and still no luck.

The conclusion I've reached is that the GPU is fried and there's pretty much nothing that can be done? (It seems to be a common problem with this type of laptop too_. I could try and reball it but in my experience that's nowhere near a permanent fix. I could re-seat the HSF but surely something would happen on the screen at least for a few seconds if it was a basic overheating/shutdown issue?

Think I'm right? Advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does sound like a non repairable.

does the wifi light come on ?

presumably it does not attempt to access the harddrive ?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,417
    Forum Member
    I know someone who had a similar problem with his Acer Aspire and it was indeed the case that the graphics card was fried. He decided to take a gamble and picked up an MXM card from ebay (same model to be on the safe side) and managed to revive it.

If the chipset on your laptop happens to use the same format you may be in luck. If its a soldered on jobby then long and short of it is its BER.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The same thing happened to my dad's Acer laptop last year (which he only had for 2 years!). The graphics card went and eventually the computer stopped booting up. It was sent to Acer for repair and they came back and said it was unrepairable and fit for the tech scrapheap. He had all his files backed up though.