Water Bills - Do you pay yours?

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Received my yearly water bill the other day and it got me thinking;

I'm aware of quite a few people who do not pay their water bill despite reminders - some have never even had a reminder.

I've read that water companies cannot disconnect you (although I've also seen things to counter this) and also that unofficially they rarely chase up non-payers as it's supposedly more trouble than it's worth.

So, are there any here who successfully get away with not paying their water bill?

I will be paying mine - it's cheap as I'm only in a 1 bedroom place, but I can see the justification for not paying, I'm not particularly happy with Thames Water myself because of the hosepipe ban (yet they waste ridiculously high volumes of water a year due to leaks) and have abysmal customer service but I'd rather a quiet life :cool:

Comments

• johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    We don't have water bills in NI :p

It's included in our rates bill.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't have water bills in NI :p

It's included in our rates bill.

I like it!

I've learned something new today! :)
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    So, are there any here who successfully get away with not paying their water bill?
    Now that would be telling. ;)

My neighbour hadn't paid her water bill over four years yet never has been chased up.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It's impossible to not pay a water bill in the part of London I live in, it's included in the rates, as Johnny said. I wouldn't try to 'get away' without paying anyway.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course we do, otherwise we wouldn't have running water. I'm pretty sure that our water supply would be stopped if we didn't pay our water bill.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mines included in my housing rent so I don't get a seperate water bill
  • posh1posh1 Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Of course we do, otherwise we wouldn't have running water. I'm pretty sure that our water supply would be stopped if we didn't pay our water bill.

They cannot disconnect your water supply.

They can chase you for payment though.:)
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Isn't clean water a basic human right?
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I will be paying mine - it's cheap as I'm only in a 1 bedroom place, but I can see the justification for not paying, I'm not particularly happy with Thames Water myself because of the hosepipe ban (yet they waste ridiculously high volumes of water a year due to leaks) and have abysmal customer service but I'd rather a quiet life :cool:

Somebody was watching 'Watchdog' a couple of weeks ago :L :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf!? I've never heard of people not paying their bill, and I'd have thought they'd get chased up! Is this true then, lots of people actually get away with not paying!?
    Forum Member
    Wtf!? I've never heard of people not paying their bill, and I'd have thought they'd get chased up! Is this true then, lots of people actually get away with not paying!?

You do seem very naive may I say.
    Forum Member
    Isn't clean water a basic human right?

so's food and shelter

But I doubt we'll be getting let off rent and supermarket bills...
    Forum Member
    posh1 wrote: »
    You do seem very naive may I say.

I've never heard of it either
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, I pay in instalments each month. I would like a water meter though, I don't think I use as much as the guy upstairs who has his girlfriend living with him and I don't see why I should pay the same as him. Not sure if a water meter is possible as the property is a renovated house and I think I'd need to have a separate pipe to the mains which may cost me more money than I'd save.

I didn't pay one month and my arrangement was cancelled and what I owed sent to bailiffs to collect. Took a few phone calls to get the arrangement back on and the bailiffs off my back.
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    so's food and shelter

No they arent.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody was watching 'Watchdog' a couple of weeks ago :L :D

No not at all, I don't watch Watchdog - I thought it was common knowledge (ie. I have heard this from time to time over the last few years) that Thames Water in particular has leaks all over the shop which they never seem to want to patch up :mad:

I must admit though I did see a picture the other day of a Thames Water van driver washing his van with what looked like a fire hydrant :cool: More than a little ignorant given the drought and bans
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's impossible to not pay a water bill in the part of London I live in, it's included in the rates, as Johnny said. I wouldn't try to 'get away' without paying anyway.

Didn't rates get abolished in England, many years ago?

Have never had to pay water-bills, due to where I live
  • InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live next door to a fella who hadn't payed a water bill in 8 years. He had moved around a lot and if he got a reminder he ignored it. It does happen.
  • TimMcTVUserTimMcTVUser Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    So don't pay your bill, don't get chased up for it, but end up with a bad credit report. Cant see them just writing it off without at least letting experian know. Downward spiral from there on.
    Forum Member
    posh1 wrote: »
    No they arent.

:confused: ...
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this why water bills are so high then, because of non-payers not being chased for the payment?

.... Oh and I pay each month over 10 months.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pay my monthly, once got behind with it and they were like a dog with a bone, not worth the hassle of not paying it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    Didn't rates get abolished in England, many years ago?

Have never had to pay water-bills, due to where I live
    Then it comes under council tax (or whatever it's called these days).
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay 15 every month instalments for a 1 bedroom flat :cry::(
    Forum Member
    :confused: ...

Ok then listen.

Nobody can cut your water supply off.

Ok with that so far?:)

But if you dont have any money for food, you cant just go to the shop and take it without paying for it claiming that its a basic human right, because you will get locked up.

Ok with that?:)