Can i upgrade to HD on Variety package ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
Forum Member
Seems i have to upgrade package to Family package to allow me to upgrade to HD

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Family Pack is the Variety Pack with HD. Same SD channels plus the HD versions and part of the 3D channel.
  • Sean_CampbellSean_Campbell Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Upgrade to the Family pack which gives you the "Basic HD pack" Sky1 HD etc and you also get Box Sets on the on demand all for £5 and if you wants sports or movies in HD thats the "HD Pack" your looking for!
  • wilko1978wilko1978 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im confused, when the pack`s changed name I have the Variety pack HD which comes in at £37.25 per month. I assume this £27 + £10.25 HD charge. When I see the family pack advertised it says £32 and says it include`s HD. So am I paying £5 extra each month for no obvious reason as far as I can see I have all channel`s available(bar the premium channel`s like movies + sports) So why am I paying £5 more when I seem to have everything advertised on the family pack? :confused:
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legacy HD pack gets you SSF1. If you don't watch it then downgrade and save yourself money. Also complain that you were never given this option.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on to the Sky website to try and work out what the different packs were and found it very confusing. It used to be very simple and you could set up the package to suit yourself by for instance removing music and kids programmes. Does anyone have a simple spreadsheet style comparison of the different packages?

I used to have a package set up to suit what I was using. Sky altered the format and I just went along with their changes without altering my package but now the price does seem a lot higher than it used to be so I'll have to spend some time trying to understand the new confusing packages.

Sky seem to have gone out of their way to make it deliberately confusing. This together with the difficulty I recently encountered downgrading makes me wonder whether the the extra TV channels (which I do enjoy) make it worthwhile continuing with this organisation.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's really quite simple
    there are 3 packages for the non-premium channels.

Original
    Variety
    Family

the old HD pack for entertainment channels no longer exists and is now included in the Family pack.

if it's too confusing then feel free to cancel though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilko1978 wrote: »
    Im confused, when the pack`s changed name I have the Variety pack HD which comes in at £37.25 per month. I assume this £27 + £10.25 HD charge. When I see the family pack advertised it says £32 and says it include`s HD. So am I paying £5 extra each month for no obvious reason as far as I can see I have all channel`s available(bar the premium channel`s like movies + sports) So why am I paying £5 more when I seem to have everything advertised on the family pack? :confused:

After reading your post I've checked and I'm on the same package as you so £37.25. I was previously on variety + sports + HD and downgraded after the end of the football season.

My brain is exploding from this and the Sky website is totally unclear. The frustrating thing is that it all used to be so simple to understand before with having packages made up of different channels and the HD extra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    it's really quite simple
    there are 3 packages for the non-premium channels.

Original
    Variety
    Family

the old HD pack for entertainment channels no longer exists and is now included in the Family pack.

if it's too confusing then feel free to cancel though.

My bill says variety + HD pack. If family is variety + HD am I paying £5 extra for nothing?

If they are not the same what is the difference between family and variety + HD? The Sky website is not helpful in this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    My bill says variety + HD pack. If family is variety + HD am I paying £5 extra for nothing?

If they are not the same what is the difference between family and variety + HD? The Sky website is not helpful in this.

you have the old legacy HD pack.
    you are paying £11 for the old legacy HD pack... all that is giving you is extra access to Sky Sports F1 HD.
    so if that channel isn't important to you, then yes you are paying an extra £5pm for nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you have the old legacy HD pack.
    you are paying £11 for the old legacy HD pack... all that is giving you is extra access to Sky Sports F1 HD.
    so if that channel isn't important to you, then yes you are paying an extra £5pm for nothing.

Thanks, I have zero interest in formula 1 so will change. I recently downgraded from Sky Sports so I don't know if that made any difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I have zero interest in formula 1 so will change. I recently downgraded from Sky Sports so I don't know if that made any difference?

changing to Family (which was called Entertainment Extra+) will give you all the entertainment channels, with HD for those, and access to Box Sets On Demand etc.
    you're essentially paying £5pm to much at the moment.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    changing to Family (which was called Entertainment Extra+) will give you all the entertainment channels, with HD for those, and access to Box Sets On Demand etc.

Hi Simon, u ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hopefully not. I'm still on Sky Sports at the moment until after the Championship play offs and you need the HD package for Sports HD. In my email to them to remove HD and move to the family pack I've asked for the change to occur then so I don't have the extra 3 weeks with the extra £5 - making it clear they should have pointed this out when they insisted on phoning up about the downgrade from Sky Sports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I have been trying to get my account name changed and as most people know that is a pain in the arse with sky.

A Scottish lady phoned me last week and is closing my old account and setting me up my own account. I was on the variety bundle with sports HD. It was basically sky world without the movies but with the old hd pack added. One of the questions she asked me was if I watch F1. I know her reasons were because I was getting this as part of the old hd pack and with a new account it comes as part of the sports pack but I have sports anyway...

My question is basically this, on my new account when its set up, will it be cheaper to have the family bundle + sports compared with variety + sports + old hd pack? To me it looks like I have been paying for the HD pack when it would have been cheaper to be on the family bundle? And there would be no difference for me as I have sports? That is wrong if that's the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bulk wrote: »
    My question is basically this, on my new account when its set up, will it be cheaper to have the family bundle + sports compared with variety + sports + old hd pack? To me it looks like I have been paying for the HD pack when it would have been cheaper to be on the family bundle? And there would be no difference for me as I have sports? That is wrong if that's the case.

With HD and Sports the two packages cost the same, the Family pack works out cheaper if you cut Sports during the summer which makes sense if you only use it for football.

Be aware that if you switch from Variety to Family they will insist you have a 12 month contract.:o
    Forum Member
    With HD and Sports the two packages cost the same, the Family pack works out cheaper if you cut Sports during the summer which makes sense if you only use it for football.

Be aware that if you switch from Variety to Family they will insist you have a 12 month contract.:o
    Im probably in a 12 month contract anyway because of new account being setup plus a new multiroom box added... not bothered enough to ask about being in a new contract because I don't plan on cancelling anytime soon.

So what youre saying is that

My old account package of (which I am currently still whilst im waiting for new viewing cards): Variety + Sports + Old HD pack

equals the same price as having: Family pack + Sports ?

Browsing through the EPG, I cant actually see what channels I don't currently get on the variety pack. On this new account am I going to have to be on the family pack to equal what I currently get now?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im probably in a 12 month contract anyway because of new account being setup plus a new multiroom box added... not bothered enough to ask about being in a new contract because I don't plan on cancelling anytime soon.

So what youre saying is that

My old account package of (which I am currently still whilst im waiting for new viewing cards): Variety + Sports + Old HD pack

equals the same price as having: Family pack + Sports ?

Browsing through the EPG, I cant actually see what channels I don't currently get on the variety pack. On this new account am I going to have to be on the family pack to equal what I currently get now?

No, your old package Variety+Sports+Old HD Pack is equivalent to Family+Sports+Premiums HD Pack and both work out to be the same price.

family+sports gives you everything in HD except the Sky Sports channels
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    No, your old package Variety+Sports+Old HD Pack is equivalent to Family+Sports+Premiums HD Pack and both work out to be the same price.

family+sports gives you everything in HD except the Sky Sports channels
    So to equal what I get now:

Variety + Sports + HD Pack

I will need to get Family + Sports + Sports HD Pack when new account is set up?

And that equals the same money and the same channels? The only difference being Sky Sports F1 will now be part of my sports package instead of in the hd pack...

I am out of the loop with all these bundle names, this was called sky world minus the movies the last time I looked into this, the packages have changed since I have been subscribed and I have had all the channels bar sky movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So to equal what I get now:

Variety + Sports + HD Pack

I will need to get Family + Sports + Sports HD Pack when new account is set up?

And that equals the same money and the same channels? The only difference being Sky Sports F1 will now be part of my sports package instead of in the hd pack...

Yes that is correct for . The difference in price would occur if you removed Sports at any point in which case Family would be cheaper than Variety + HD. The downside of switching is the 12 month contract but if you already have a 12 month then switching now makes sense.

You do get TV box sets with Family but not Variety and also 3D.
    Forum Member
    This is the crux of what happened.

I split up with the ex 18 months ago and moved out. I took sky with me as I was the bill payer and she didn't want it, but it was in her name. I enquired about changing the account name even though I knew they wouldn't allow it.... so I just set up a home move and kept it in her name.

To cut a long story short, I think I might have complicated matters because I wanted to take advantage of a £49 2TB box offer that I wouldnt get as a "new customer". So I believe in getting that I am in a new 12 month contract anyway due to a new multiroom subscription. A Scottish lady at sky is sorting out a new account and closing the old account for me. I emailed Jeremy Darroch and I assume someone above skys own customer services is dealing with this as the customer experience is night and day above what you get when you phone up the generic number.

I am currently watching tv still in my ex girlfriends name account but 2 new viewing cards arrived yesterday in my name and this lady at sky is going to call me at the weekend to sort everything out.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to get my account name changed and as most people know that is a pain in the arse with sky.

A Scottish lady phoned me last week and is closing my old account and setting me up my own account. I was on the variety bundle with sports HD. It was basically sky world without the movies but with the old hd pack added. One of the questions she asked me was if I watch F1. I know her reasons were because I was getting this as part of the old hd pack and with a new account it comes as part of the sports pack but I have sports anyway...

Tell me about it, my account still has my name wrong because some f*ckwhit at Sky cannot read properly.

The sales guys who came to the door who I signed up with got it correct on all of their forms.
    Forum Member
    Tell me about it, my account still has my name wrong because some f*ckwhit at Sky cannot read properly.

The sales guys who came to the door who I signed up with got it correct on all of their forms.
    I sent off an email to Jeremy Darroch CEO of bskyb, I have read on here for many years that if you have a grievance then try sending him an email. I was a bit dubious because my experience of sky customer services is that they are near useless except for when it comes to taking money from you or for pairing cards... all I can say is that whatever department my email was forwarded to, a lovely Scottish lady phoned me last week and the customer service I have had since has knocked me back to be honest. Give it a go mate.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sent off an email to Jeremy Darroch CEO of bskyb, I have read on here for many years that if you have a grievance then try sending him an email. I was a bit dubious because my experience of sky customer services is that they are near useless except for when it comes to taking money from you or for pairing cards... all I can say is that whatever department my email was forwarded to, a lovely Scottish lady phoned me last week and the customer service I have had since has knocked me back to be honest. Give it a go mate.

It really shouldn't have got to this level. There are lots of muppets working for Sky who tell people the worst nonsense.

Name corrections are allowed by any advisor, you don't need executive support team to fix this. They just need to confirm lots of account details and be confident the person they are speaking to is the account holder. They cannot change the gender, or change the name entirely but spelling mistake can be corrected easily.

In terms of your circumstances then ANY retentions advisor could have helped you do this if they had taken a commonsense approach.