Options

Recording AD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
Do all latest boxes record AD? If so, can it be switched off on playback?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as they record the transport stream with all components , and then on play back apply it to all the decoders as if it were being recieved off air,
    so you can turn on or off subtitles or AD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for that. I read somewhere that some boxes were unreliable with AD in that they sometimes didn't record although the makers stated they did.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeddyB wrote: »
    I read somewhere that some boxes were unreliable with AD in that they sometimes didn't record although the makers stated they did.
    The Humax freeview boxes are unreliable with AD, but not in the same was as you describe.

The Humax freeview boxes record OK but are unreliable on AD playback. On AD playback the Humax will lower the volume on the AD track while there is background music or sound effects on the nornal sound track. This can have the result that some of the AD is not inteligabe because its volume has been turned so low compared to the sounds on the normal sound track. If you are watching a progamme without any background music or sound effects then the AD is fine. If the programme has background music or sound effects then how much of the AD is inteligable is a bit hit and miss.

This particular issue effects the HDR-2000T and post 2011 firmwares for the older HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2.

Avoid Humax freeview boxes if you want AD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Luis Essex;72293889

Avoid Humax freeview boxes if you want AD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. As a matter of interest I recorded AD on my Freesat box, volume was fine, BUT I couldn't switch it off (even though it was disabled in settings).

I am looking for a reliable AD enabled Freeview pvr. Any sugestions?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The RNIB Have a list - see this page http://www.rnib.org.uk/information-everyday-living-home-and-leisure-television-radio-and-film/audio-description

I am very suprised that the Humax units as non compliant .....

Just a note to fellow techies - AD on UK DTT is Object Audio , the (mono) sound is sent with metadata - the pan and fade bytes - to be rendered in the STB/ Tv... The fade byte turns down the Programme sound , and the pan orientates the describers voice ...
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AD on UK DTT is Object Audio , the (mono) sound is sent with metadata - the pan and fade bytes - to be rendered in the STB/ Tv... The fade byte turns down the Programme sound , and the pan orientates the describers voice ...
    Thanks.

I'm trying to fit that in with what happens on the Humax freeview HD units.

I presume that what Humax have done is to use the fad byte to fade down the AD channel instead of the normal sound channel. These units fade down the AD sound only when there is an appreciable amount of sound on the normal sound track.
    Would most providers of AD on DTT probably only set the fade byte based on how high the normal sound track is at that point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fade byte setting ....

It is rare that the fade byte is not set when there is description.
    Even if the programme sound is quiet , you fade it a little just before the description which makes the description easier to hear.
    Obviously if there is an explosion you tend to attenuate the programme sound quite a bit .... But you do need a loud sound to carry through....
    And there is "sort of a normal dimming" for most descriptions .... Say arround 6 dB ......
    And some say two stage ramping down and up...

The viewer can alter the level of the description ... This was found to be very helpful in that there are some viewers / programmes where there is less ( or more) need for the describers voice.
    That is why the broadcasters mix is so very inferior. ..... Take note Sky ( as well as it is very bit rate inefficient)

I don't know why Humax have done what you say .... The diagramme in the D book is very clear. ,!!!