Would a soap be brave enough to tackle a story about Ebola?

wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And would they also be brave enough to kill off some of the cast who contracted it?

I really think EastEnders would.

Comments

• sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    And would they also be brave enough to kill off some of the cast who contracted it?

I think it depends. Ebola so far isn't much a threat Britain or Europe. That could change but its mostly an African disease atm. I think it would have a bit too much of a disaster of the week quality to it rather than realistic issue. I'd rather see a soap address an illness that the audience would relate too more.

It might work in a hospital drama or maybe a suspense thriller that dealt with immigration.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind Boris Johnson's recent warning that it's arrival here is imminent, I think it would put the fear of God into people if it appeared in a soap and then killed a main character off.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE does seem the best choice, but lets not forget Manchester has an airport, so the virus could equally enter there as well.

As for would they do it, I think they might get accused of spreading panic, and also in terms of how far ahead soaps are planned. its way too late for either soap to add it to the storyline roster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sderr123 wrote: »
    It might work in a hospital drama or maybe a suspense thriller that dealt with immigration.
    episode of Spooks is an option, maybe a drama set in the Spooks verse.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    No. But i'm sure if it ever reached the U.K Eastenders would mention it like they always pathetically do.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would it be brave? Or just jumping on a bandwagon for cheap sensationalism?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"brave enough" or "stupid enough"??

It'd follow on from the classic SAARS, birdflu & mad cow disease plotlines.

Oh- what you telling me?? These disease weren't prevalent in the West, just media led hysterical headline stories??
    People fall for it every time.

Your thousands of times more likely to die because of a car but I don't see any car related hysterical news stories.

The only soap that should be tackling Ebola is East- Sierra Leonian- Enders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Your thousands of times more likely to die because of a car but I don't see any car related hysterical news stories.
    and yet anytime anyone gets in a car on EE, something goes wrong, people often die in cars on EE, even more so if they are young.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    No. But i'm sure if it ever reached the U.K Eastenders would mention it like they always pathetically do.

Better than the others who never mention stuff - do they live in a bubble? Nice bit of realism adding certain things in. OP : I agree it'd probably be EE if any soap were to cover it but I don't think yet, I think if or when it becomes more of a threat here in the UK :)
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders already have Dexter, it's not Ebola but it's just as unlikeable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be the point. You are more likely to die of just about anything other than Ebola in the country - of course the media are loving the story but you are more likely to get hit by a car or killed in a freak accident of some kind than you are of Ebola, it would be sensationalist clap trap for it to suddenly appear in a soap.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Eastenders already have Dexter, it's not Ebola but it's just as unlikeable.

:D:D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smells like a Hollyoaks storyline just so they can kill off random newcomers that haven't worked out.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    smells like a Hollyoaks storyline just so they can kill off random newcomers that haven't worked out.

In a soap where being gay is apparently transmittable by hugging, an Ebola outbreak would kill off half the cast in two episodes :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon Watts-Mitchell-Rickman-Mitchell goes to Africa for some reason (sure DTC will think of one) she comes back very ill, snogs Dexter who in turn snogs Stacey and well you get the rest!
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon Watts-Mitchell-Rickman-Mitchell goes to Africa for some reason (sure DTC will think of one) she comes back very ill, snogs Dexter who in turn snogs Stacey and well you get the rest!

Before you know it, it will be EbolaEnders :D