Changes to the results show

2»

Comments

• figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been baffled why the dances we get to see twice are the two least popular ones.

Also I liked it when they showed us what a dance was supposed to look like before the slebs attempt them rather than just lots of leaping about.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd make sure the Pro dance was a good one. Things like the 'baked a cake' one and the 'barn dance' are flawed in concept.

Given that they are no longer requiring that the pro dancers can actually dance the 10 Ballroom and Latin dances, then it means that top quality dances based on those are more difficult to achieve.

The Lens Lens format is now looking stale. It also suffers from a bit of staging the judges reactions to make sure that there is actually something to show. As it is shown the following night, a bit of a recap is OK. I'd like to see more backstage material used.
    Claudia is good at freestyling interviews and used to do some very funny attempts at dancing with Len on ITT - they could develop something like that, but not every week.

The Star entertainment seems to consist of someone who used to be able to sing being wheeled out to show they no longer can. I'd be very happy not to have to listen to a 'Used to be able to entertain' Star.

They have a great singer in Hayley Sanderson sitting right there - she would do a better job than 99.9% of the Star acts they have hired.

Pros dancing along to a random Star's song is a bad mix usually, though there have been some good ones in past years.
    This is one occasion when they got it right, and it shows how good such an item can be if you get the right song, singer, and dancers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isaf9N0DIqI

They need to start from the dance and work back to get the right mix, not start from 'what 'Star' can we afford?' and try to force a dance to fit.

They could have a 'here are your highlights' section which they produce between Saturday and Sunday and just have a pretend introduction to it when recording the Results show on Saturday.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia, don't forget the mariachi, burlesque, street dancery marvellousness of Madness last year!! One of the best ever whole perfomances. I loved how integrated the dancers were with the band. Plus my mariachi guys :D:D:D

http://youtu.be/5-ufkE8Ijhc

Also loved Aloe Blacc when he was on. Great guy with social conscience.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    fatskia, don't forget the mariachi, burlesque, street dancery marvellousness of Madness last year!! One of the best ever whole perfomances. I loved how integrated the dancers were with the band. Plus my mariachi guys :D:D:D

http://youtu.be/5-ufkE8Ijhc

Also loved Aloe Blacc when he was on. Great guy with social conscience.

Fabulous concept and song, costume and makeup.:):cool:

Its a pity that Suggs never could sing and had got worse. I like Madness as a group though.

I didn't think the choreography was that good, but did like the idea of the singer being part of it.

It was fabulous in parts, but not quite the whole package for me, but certainly very acceptable and one of the better ones.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Fabulous concept and song, costume and makeup.:):cool:

Its a pity that Suggs never could sing and had got worse. I like Madness as a group though.

I didn't think the choreography was that good, but did like the idea of the singer being part of it.

It was fabulous in parts, but not quite the whole package for me, but certainly very acceptable and one of the better ones.

I prob have a high tolerance for murkiness and disorder... Once there's an idea or a feeling there, even the imperfections seem characterful.
    Plus: mariachis! :D:D

We've had a couple of dud performances this year so far, which makes the live act seem forlorn. Bloody Boy George and bloody Donny Osmond. On the other hand Gregory Porter is a great singer (shame about the Cullen) and personally I really enjoyed Smokey and Imelda, that energy, and the fantastic backing singers... It's hit and miss but they do sometimes get the bookings right. For me Tony Bennett was right too but I know a lot will disagree.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    On DWTS they used to have kids doing Ballroom and Latin on every week, "Dancing with the Tinies" I used to call it. And blinking good they were too.

Be interesting to see if they do something with juniors at Blackpool again this year, it seemed to go down well last year.
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Don't think pro dances are a problem per se, but some of them are a bit naff IMO, including some of the ones they do with guests.

Guess I'm not too picky - to be honest, the whole show seems a bit naff these days, with all the Charlestons and in America, "jazz" routines (which basically seems to be anything in the world you can possibly imagine). I wish they'd do more traditional dancing but the occasional barn dance is fine with me - that guy falling over the hay stack was the cherry on the top ;-)
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I don't know, maybe I'm easily pleased but I don't think the result show needs changing at all! I like the randomness of the musical guests, that they're not all Top 40 artists. Jamie Cullum in particular was brilliant I thought.

Maybe, if possible, I'd like the results show to be live, but it's not a big issue. It's very easy to avoid finding out who gets eliminated.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Often the act overshadows the dancers (unless you are Kevin and throw yourself about with great abandon to a slow song :D)

The act rarely, if ever, overshadows the dancers in my opinion, except where the camera doesn't follow the dancers.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom two in the judges score in the DO.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fern3 wrote: »
    I definitely like the idea of the reprise of the Judges' favourite. But I suppose they'd have to film it much earlier in the day to allow for wardrobe and makeup etc.

Agree, the pro dances are getting worse. Why not go back to showing us how proper ballroom dancing should be done? Nobody needs a barn dance.

Why? The results show is only recorded about an hour after the main show has ended, and all the couples have to stay in costume for the results.
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    I've always found the results show to be very unsatisfying entertainment. But my biggest bugbear is the unhappy marriage of the guest singer and pro dance. Fans of the guest singer have their enjoyment of watching them interrupted by shots of those pesky dancers and fans of the dancers keep having their view of the dance ruined by shots of the singer. The singer's probably annoyed that they're not getting much camera time and the pro's are probably hacked off that half of their choreography has been missed by all but the people on the front row in the studio.

I know- it's a light entertainment show and as such they always have well known singers on them (although I think Strictly is strong enough to be able to do without them), but how about staging it more creatively so that singers & dancers can share the screen a little more?

I'm rooting for a proper pro couple slot where we see some full-on classic latin or ballroom- a la Flavia & Vincent's Argentine Tangos. They were electrifying and I'm sure the wider audience as well as the purists would love it.

I used to think that they had chart musicians on to show that the programme was "current" and able to play X Factor at its own game. But...Culture Club? Current?
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    I've always been baffled why the dances we get to see twice are the two least popular ones.

Also I liked it when they showed us what a dance was supposed to look like before the slebs attempt them rather than just lots of leaping about.

lol. Such a good point.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found the results show to be very unsatisfying entertainment. But my biggest bugbear is the unhappy marriage of the guest singer and pro dance. Fans of the guest singer have their enjoyment of watching them interrupted by shots of those pesky dancers and fans of the dancers keep having their view of the dance ruined by shots of the singer.

On the other hand, people who are not fans of the singer could be glad to have something to distract them from the singing.

Most appear on the show to plug a new release so i cannot see them being too bothered about sharing the floor with a couple of dancers.

I think if any performers were unhappy about it then they would have spoken out, I am not aware of anyone raising any objections.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    On the other hand, people who are not fans of the singer could be glad to have something to distract them from the singing.

Most appear on the show to plug a new release so i cannot see them being too bothered about sharing the floor with a couple of dancers.

I think if any performers were unhappy about it then they would have spoken out, I am not aware of anyone raising any objections.

Agree; plus if any of the guest performers didn't like the idea of the dancers performing at the same time, then he/she needn't appear on the show in the first place. No one twists their arm :D