Options

Elementary - UK Pace - No Spoilers Please

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    The show is certainly not bad, but it's not anything special either. Just another run of the mill show.
    I like Lucy Liu but there's not enough about the show to keep me hooked.

That's my take on it too. It's OK as a police procedural but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to watch every week. Like CSI/NCIS etc it's a filler programme to watch once in a while without having to worry about an ongoing story.
  • Options
    trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I'm liking it. It's an easy hour to pass. Neither JLM or Liu is as irritating as I feared. (I was dreading a shrewish Watson spoiling all the fun, or a Holmes full of wierd tics)

But this Holmes does seem like he fits fairly well in the modern world - he's not an anachronism. He's not even that odd. He goes around half naked covered in tattoos, and wears hipster t-shirts with waistcoats.

I do find now after 3 episodes that the Sherlock Holmes conceit is highly tenuous. I am enjoying it as an entirely unrelated thing, and I think you really need to. Otherwise you'd go mad, as there is little or no similarity. He can call himself Sherlock all he wants, but thats where it ends. Similarly Watson. Its nothing at all to do with her gender, she's just an entirely different personality.

But taken in isolation, I'm enjoying it, in a mindless way. Holmes is so incredibly right all the time that the central idea (that he's a consultant for the NYPD) passes. If I were Aidan Quinn, I'd call him in too!

That said, its all a bit like those pastiches of Agatha Christie novels "Ah well you see I knew it was him because I happened to notice the wastepaper basket and there was an envelope in it which had a blob of mud on the corner which had a distinctive scent which could only have come from underneath the dahlias in the front garden of the victim!!"

God knows how they're going to contrive Liu staying on with Holmes (living with him no less!) after the 6 weeks is over.
  • Options
    kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't too keen on the first episode, started to warm to it during the second and loved the third. I do exactly what I do with Sherlock. I sit back and enjoy it for what it is. Although I feel BBC Sherlock is cleverer than Elementary, I'm really warming to Johnny Lee Miller. I still can't warm to Joan Watson though it has nothing to do with her sex, there's just no chemistry between them.

I'll keep watching if only because I love watching detective shows and I'm not a big fan of US TV yet. I'm glad it's different to BBC Sherlock as it's another show to watch and enjoy.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Just wondering if last nights episode, is going to give secretary's ideas....Another great episode and Watson learning from Holmes too, plus Handcuff Practice....that was fun, but I was expecting him needing help, at the end.

It's not just the cases that make this so watch-able....it's the chemistry between Lucy Liu and JLM, it's just perfect.

And I could watch Lucy Liu sit on that chair in the Boardroom, for the whole hour.:cool:
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got round to watching the first episode last night, really like it!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had three of these recorded on the planner, and i was a little loathe to watch them as I really thought that it wouldn't work. BUT - I love it. I really don't see a lot of Sherlock in it, and i think he is only called Sherlock Holmes to draw the viewers in. Another detective / cop show might not have been as highly anticipated. My husband and I sat down to watch one last weekend and loved it so much we watched all three back to back. I love it.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it. Not a classic but a notch or two above the run-of-the-mill e.g. in the acting and writing.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazzabeee wrote: »
    I still can't warm to Joan Watson though it has nothing to do with her sex, there's just no chemistry between them.

I think thats kind of ok at the moment. She's there to do a job, rather than be a friend etc. So the relationship is i think supposed to be teneous and awkard to a certain amount.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just continues to be so obvious and the wife and I find outselves saying "twin sister...doctor's helping", "helpful Surgeon or janitor", "it's the secretary" and so on a good 10 or twenty minutes before Holmes get's around to it.

I'm not saying it's not watchable mind, it just washes over you with minimal effort required.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    It just continues to be so obvious and the wife and I find outselves saying "twin sister...doctor's helping", "helpful Surgeon or janitor", "it's the secretary" and so on a good 10 or twenty minutes before Holmes get's around to it.

I'm not saying it's not watchable mind, it just washes over you with minimal effort required.

It sounds like you are taking the murder mystery stuff seriously. I don't watch a procedural show like this -- a type of show I hold in low regard -- for any other reason than because I like watching the central character, and I do like watching Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes -- very much so, in fact. Who killed who is something about which I never give a damn (and of course it is usually the most recognizable guest star who is the killer).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

Mild mannered Janitor....it didn't bother me I had guest who did it.....but their was a twist, with the Doc.

But how JLM ended up at the Morgue in the first place, with him strangling the Bodies....:eek:

And Lucy with her own story, did make for a great episode.:cool:
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this for the first time tonight. Its OK, not overly bothered by it yet. Agree with the post above that its a cop show leant the Sherlock Holmes name.

I think I was expecting it to be more like the British Sherlock, which I really loved.

Will give it a few more episodes to see. I'm finding the acting of the guy playing Sherlock a tad irritating, its not helping.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the one where the boy who was kidnapped becomes the villain , can't help wondering if he's gonna be the new Moriarty . just speculation , I have no idea whats upcoming .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it. I really like JLM as Sherlock. I like him much more than Cummerbatch's portrayal, who I find to be far too dislikable. I've been told that he plays it exactly as Conan Doyle wrote it, which I can't comment on because I've not read any of the literary work, but if that's the case, then I wouldn't like the character at all. Also, I really struggled with the BBC adaptations of the original stories. To me, they were more style over substance, and whilst I can appreciate the quality of the work, I didn't find them particularly easy to watch. The best thing about the BBC version, for me, was the portrayal of Moriarty, who stole the show as far as I'm concerned.

JLM makes Sherlock far more likeable, whilst still being a pain in the butt know-it-all. I like the idea of Watson being female, and the adaptation of her connection to him. So far, the crimes have been interesting - especially the one with the kid being the one that dunnit all along.

At the end of the day, it IS just another procedural, but it wouldn't last 5 minutes if the characters didn't work, and I think they do. I'm glad that the US have made a completely different version to what the BBC did - otherwise it would never have been given a chance.

Thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    RollerbabeRollerbabe Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Really love ths - it's my new 'must watch'. Agree with poster about Aidan Quinn - lovely sexy voice and not ageing too badly! Was prepared to hate Lucy Lui but she plays the part perfectly and I think the chemistry between Sherlock and Holmes is spot on. I'm not a great Sherlock fan so this loosely based detective show is fine by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't expecting a Plane Crash investigation for Holmes this week, any week, turned out very good....and the Dad, not turning up...thought it was going to be Alan Dale.:eek:

And did the Americans work out what JLM said, when mentioning a Garage.;)....they have a funny way, of pronouncing it....and a bit of Yorkshire too.

Irene....:confused:
  • Options
    Chappers67Chappers67 Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting a Plane Crash investigation for Holmes this week, any week, turned out very good....and the Dad, not turning up...thought it was going to be Alan Dale.:eek:

And did the Americans work out what JLM said, when mentioning a Garage.;)....they have a funny way, of pronouncing it....and a bit of Yorkshire too.

At a guess Adler.....probably not a naked Lara Pulver tho...
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, that got me too.

When the "name" bit came up, for some reason I thought it might be Moriarty......:o
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha, I was expecting him too! Thought it would be perfect for him.

Yes, as others have said, must be Irene Adler, don't know if she'll be coming into it anytime soon though?
    Also, did the bloke pretending to be his dad have a name? Thinking maybe he could have links to Moriarty in the future?

Really enjoying this though as a procedural US TV show, can't really compare it to Sherlock. JLM is great and Lucy Lui is growing on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    00tommo wrote: »
    Also, did the bloke pretending to be his dad have a name?

Allistair.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I also thought the name bit was going to be Moriarty so I was suprised when it turn out to be Irene!
  • Options
    qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    It's no Sherlock but I think Johnny Lee Miller is fantastic and perhaps edges Cumberbatch. I'm glad Irene Adler is being introduced as it felt a bit like Sherlock Holmes had walked into a typical US crime series a good US crime series mind but Holmes just seemed to be there rather than it being about Holmes and Watson and Moriarty and Irene Adler.

I think having a big series is funny because with UK Sherlock you are left wanting more, I've felt a few times watching this that Sherlock needs to get something wrong because it loses any excitement- if Sherlock comes up with a theory and we're past the second ad-break he's probably right.

I also think that they haven't yet matched up to the first episode which had a lot of the character of Holmes and the Watson-Holmes relationship needs developing and Watson shouting at Holmes that he doesn't say enough to her doesn't really cut it.

I'll stick with it because the crimes are interesting and so is Holmes but at the moment it feels like it has massive potential but it's not quite hitting the mark. (However I am comparing it to Sherlock!) Hopefully the introduction of Irene Adler and hopefully Moriarty will help it to fulfill its potential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone remind me please.....is Irene Adler the one he "fell for" in the UK episode where he ended up saving her, after she faked her own death?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    Someone remind me please.....is Irene Adler the one he "fell for" in the UK episode where he ended up saving her, after she faked her own death?

Yes it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^
    Thank you!