best series of new who. series 4. but why

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
Is it because there was no love interest for either character in any shape or form through the whole season.

Moffat please take note

Comments

• LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much a matter of opinion. Personally I found series 4 my least favourite (although series 6 may be on par). It has the least rewatch ability for me. Maybe because I spend the majority of the episodes wanting to punch Donna in the face.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing that can I think can be said for certain is that Steven Moffat will never 'take note' of this spurious offering.

Garbage456... congratulations on your self-awareness.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes lets start off the debate and discussion by stating an opinion as fact and then go from there...

oh please. Firstly it was RTD who placed romance in the foreground of New Who. He started it. And I'm glad he did.

Personally I think S4 has dated worse than any other season of the show. Its a bit of a mess which has some real peaks but some real lows. And the lows are really bad.

oh and no love interest for either character in any shape or form? So lets pretend that Donna didn't in fact have relationships (albeit failed ones) and that one of the main arcs of the series was Rose crossing time and space to try and rekindle her love affair with the Doctor. Yeah. Lets pretend that.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Is it because there was no love interest for either character in any shape or form through the whole season.

Moffat please take note

Apart from River Song? And Donna's romantic interest in the same story? And the return of Rose?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's clearly the best. Why? I think Tennant was at the top of his game. It had the best post-2005 companion in Donna (without the sickening, inane 'love interest' angle). It had an interesting arc with the planets/bees going missing. It had Tennant's fake regeneration at the end The Stolen Earth. It also reunited many of the former cast members in Journey's End so it had a real 'knees up/farewell to Tennant' vibe. It also had a terrific run of episodes (with the exception of the excrement known as The Doctor's Daughter).

It just worked, especially the second half of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's clearly the best.

Yes, clearly. There is no further room for debate. It is totally clear and you have definitively resolved the matter. Thank you. My tastes were different to yours but now you have brought such clarity to the subject I can now accept the clear truth of the matter.

Thank God the fog has been lifted from my eyes and I now see clearly.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Donna.
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Yes, clearly. There is no further room for debate. It is totally clear and you have definitively resolved the matter. Thank you. My tastes were different to yours but now you have brought such clarity to the subject I can now accept the clear truth of the matter.

You're welcome :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

This thread may serve to be the forum equivalent of Jesus.

I'm not sure why the OP has already reached the conclusion of 'four was the best' and is now querying why this is in fact 'true'. I don't really understand why anyone would consider series four the best. Yeah it's subjective. But if you're going to claim something blindly you might as well do it truthfully. The majority of the arc in series four was about a mopey miserable lovelorn Rose looking for The Doctor. If anything, romance is more present in series four than any other. Just because Donna just wanted to be 'mates' (which they hammered home every 5 minutes) doesn't mean it wasn't there. But hey, maybe people only consider romance making googley eyes and having possessed snogs on New Earth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    This thread may serve to be the forum equivalent of Jesus.

I'm not sure why the OP has already reached the conclusion of 'four was the best' and is now querying why this is in fact 'true'. I don't really understand why anyone would consider series four the best. Yeah it's subjective. But if you're going to claim something blindly you might as well do it truthfully. The majority of the arc in series four was about a mopey miserable lovelorn Rose looking for The Doctor. If anything, romance is more present in series four than any other. Just because Donna just wanted to be 'mates' (which they hammered home every 5 minutes) doesn't mean it wasn't there. But hey, maybe people only consider romance making googley eyes and having possessed snogs on New Earth.

Funny isn't it how much people are willing to forgive when they enjoy other aspects of the series. I have been the same. But really. I have seen fervent pro-RTD and S4 fans (not here) whinging about how the 'the doctors older now and not romantic' is so over done. And yet the same people would be chortling loudly at the repeated constant 'joke' about Doctor and Donna just being 'mates'. Its the inconsistency which is annoying. Witness the fact people are now having a go at Moffat for having romance in the show and yet the same people are still sat on tumblr reposting pictures of Ten and Rose.

Laughable really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and yes. Donna and Tates performance in particular was often fantastic and she certainly surprised me as I thought she would be ruinous. We can thank RTDs writing for that I think. But really. If there is one Doctor Who sacred cow that needs slaying its Donna Noble. Overrated to the point of insanity. She was good. She wasn't that good.

And watching back now without the relief that she wasn't diabolical she can be quite annoying. And of course she totally dominated that season along with Rose pushing the Doctor to the back somewhat. And yet we have people slating Clara for being too dominant. How short are peoples memories?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Season 4 was Tennant's best season, in my opinion, but I'm not sure it surpassed Eccleston's season or Season 5. Or even season 7, which I have mixed feelings about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny isn't it how much people are willing to forgive when they enjoy other aspects of the series. I have been the same. But really. I have seen fervent pro-RTD and S4 fans (not here) whinging about how the 'the doctors older now and not romantic' is so over done. And yet the same people would be chortling loudly at the repeated constant 'joke' about Doctor and Donna just being 'mates'. Its the inconsistency which is annoying. Witness the fact people are now having a go at Moffat for having romance in the show and yet the same people are still sat on tumblr reposting pictures of Ten and Rose.

Laughable really.

It's just the double standard of it all that I find grating. But some people can't get away from what's been and gone in Doctor Who. Rose and Ten was 'beautiful and amazing and heartfelt' and all that bullshit. But anyone else behaving similarly with him would be a pale imitation. The show needs heart, it would be miserable and dry without it. Moffat has been responsible for some of the most beautiful moments in Doctor Who - why would anyone want rid of that? I recently rewatched Vincent And The Doctor and I'm not ashamed to say I cried like a little girl! 'Added to his pile of good things' IMO is so much more emotive than Rose bashing on the wall to go back to her universe. That should be on poorly edited posts on tumblr!
    Oh and yes. Donna and Tates performance in particular was often fantastic and she certainly surprised me as I thought she would be ruinous. We can thank RTDs writing for that I think. But really. If there is one Doctor Who sacred cow that needs slaying its Donna Noble. Overrated to the point of insanity. She was good. She wasn't that good.

And watching back now without the relief that she wasn't diabolical she can be quite annoying. And of course she totally dominated that season along with Rose pushing the Doctor to the back somewhat. And yet we have people slating Clara for being too dominant. How short are peoples memories?

Urgh. Donna. Blah. I find rewatching series four hard work and I'm pretty sure it's because of her. She just shouts. All that 'OI WATCH IT SPACEMAN!' nonsense just makes me angry. It's funny because I loved her when series four was first broadcast. But to be fair to me, I was young and probably a bit stupid.

As for Clara- I said on another thread that New Who has always been companion centric. Bad Wolf, DoctorDonna, Martha saving the world in series 3, Amy/Rory/River. It's like none of that existed to some people. If anything, Clara is just being a normal person.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Season 4 was Tennant's best season, in my opinion, but I'm not sure it surpassed Eccleston's season or Season 5. Or even season 7, which I have mixed feelings about.

season 5 IMO was awful, do not understand the love for it at all on this forum.
    it is only beaten in awfulness by series 7B.

though the current one is putting up some fight for the title! mainly down to that utterly horrendous Danny Pink character. WTF was Moffat thinking ?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    it is only beaten in awfulness by series 7B.

though the current one is putting up some fight for the title! mainly down to that utterly horrendous Danny Pink character. WTF was Moffat thinking ?!

Thanks for your thoughts. You have really made a valuable contribution to the debate and given us a lot to think about.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moffat please take note

As others have said it is entirely a matter of OPINION, and the manner in which you have taken your own OPINION as a given in relation to the original post is EITHER so short-sighted as to warrant education, OR a deliberate attempt to deny others the opportunity to question that "fact"...

...Some might add the third option of it bordering on provocative trolling but I'll abstain from making that suggestion myself ;)
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm torn between series 5 and series 7 as the best of New Who.
    Series 4 in my opinion isn't as good as any of Moffat's series and it's position amongst the RTD era is questionable.

Donna was one of my least favourite companions but at least she was better than series 2 Rose. I do think that Tennant cannot be underrated as a Doctor as he was on absolutely flying form in series 4 even though some of the writing did let him down and looking back, Journey's End is an abomination IMHO.

Still, it was a good series, the Library two-parter is probably my favourite RTD era two-parter, I really liked the Sontaran episodes and The Doctor's Daughter was a great ep, plus the opening 3 eps were all solid.
    Forum Member

Yeah, she really was. She was that rarest of new Who creations: a real person.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't say series 4 is the most consistent in terms of episodes, because for me that has to be series 1, but series 4 definitely comes a close second. Series 4, for me is so good because Tennant and tate are on form, we get a varied range of episodes, plot and emotions were balanced, but mostly it was and still is the greatest, most epic finale we have had.

If there is one thing Moffat really should take note of from series 4 is that Donna is mouthy and opinionated and often gets the oppourtunity to voice those opinions, and yet it is still written in a way where Donna isn't over focused on and we are in no doubt that at the end of the day the doctor is still in charge. In fact RTD proved with all his companions across all his series that you can have full, well rounded companions without having to overshadow the doctor.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

Moffat please take note

I would hope that Moffat has more productive things to do than read these forums :)

Anyway even if your statement were true it was RTD's intention that there would be another big romance for the Doctor and his companion throughout series 4 and his plans were only changed when Catherine Tate agreed to come back.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though it started off very slowly in the first few weeks(the adipose was unforgivable) I love Series 4. One of the best Series so far, imo.

I think Catherine Tate as Donna and the overall Series Arc is one of the reasons I rate this Series so highly and the last four episodes are amazing, even though not very popular on here. It's never been the same since since for me.

:)
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    it is only beaten in awfulness by series 7B!

Amen! :)

(The leaf, the leaf is everything! Look at my leaf! LOL! :) )
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Yes lets start off the debate and discussion by stating an opinion as fact and then go from there...

oh please. Firstly it was RTD who placed romance in the foreground of New Who. He started it. And I'm glad he did.

Personally I think S4 has dated worse than any other season of the show. Its a bit of a mess which has some real peaks but some real lows. And the lows are really bad.

oh and no love interest for either character in any shape or form? So lets pretend that Donna didn't in fact have relationships (albeit failed ones) and that one of the main arcs of the series was Rose crossing time and space to try and rekindle her love affair with the Doctor. Yeah. Lets pretend that.

Well looking at another thread on here the 1st 20 posts about 80% say series 4
  • TorchwoodBoyTorchwoodBoy Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 4 is the best series, totally agree.

In fact my rankings would be:

1) Series 4
    2) Series 1
    3) Series 8 (Shaping up to be one of the best.)
    4) Series 5
    5) Series 6
    6) Series 3
    7) Series 7
    8) Series 2 Although I enjoyed the series in parts, the only episodes I really enjoyed were Tooth and Claw and the finale.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think you could argue Season 4 was the most successful (in terms of viewing figures, audience share and possibly AI too).

But whether or not it was the best is very much down to personal opinion. Its my personal favourite season by a very wide margin, but I know there are plenty of forum members who can't stand it.