Options

Partitioning a new drive (C: and D:) particularly re: with Asus EEE

Just wanted some help! I'm not that windows PC clever having used macs for years.

In August I bought a Dell with Vista, 320gb hard drive with 10gb reserved as the D: - It works really well.

Now I've just bought an EEE (1000h) XP with 160gb drive, but its set up with C: as 80gb (71gb available) and D: is 70gb with 70gb available.

I was surprised the D drive is so big. I hadn't expected that, and I really wanted more space for MP3's etc. If I shrink the D drive (will figure out how later) will it effect the system. I don't really know what it does. For example on the Dell it just sits there and I don't do anything with it, but its less than 10gb so I don't worry about it etc. On the EEE would Asus have set things up to copy everything from C to D and how would I undo this.

cheers for any help or tips.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    It would be normal to have your D drive as the larger partition so to use it for data and keep it seperate from the windows drive for performance. For example if I had a 100GB drive I would set the C drive to maybe 25GB and have the remainder as the D drive. If your saying that you have a partition of your drive that doesnt do anything..its because your not using it. Use your D drive for your data and just have windows and programs on the C drive. If you put everything on the C drive and something happens to the file table you will lose everything rather than just having to reinstall windows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that advice, so I'm better off shrinking the C drive then.

This is my first XP machine, so it might seem like I asked a dumb question - but I really was a bit flummoxed with the drive set up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you elaborate on what your issue is? Do you want one big drive or perhaps a different partition ratio?

Its a pretty standard se tup, although the ratios are not what I would expect if one drive is for the system and the other data :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dell with vista - sounds like the D drive is a recovery partition perhaps.

The Asus you keep windows and programs on the C drive and data on the D drive. It means if you want to reinstall windows your data won't be affected, only your applications will be.