Options

2014 BDO World Darts Championship Coverage

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    And John Rawling is on again now with Jim Proudfoot. He seems to be the ultimate freelance commentator since he left fivelive, doing darts with itv4, and now both BBC tv and fivelive for the PDC championship final, boxing for sky, setanta and boxnation, in addition to athletics for channel 4.

John Rawling also commentated on football for ITV (chiefly highlights games on The Championship) and talkSPORT (mainly on the 2010 World Cup) as I mentioned on one of the previous pages. He initially left BBC Radio 5 Live to become ITV's boxing commentator.

Someone asked on the Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters thread in the radio section the other day whether John's commentary on the PDC World Darts Championship Final last week was his first commentary on Radio 5 Live since leaving his role as their athletics and boxing correspondent in 2005 - does anyone know whether this is the case? I believe he's been a panellist on Fighting Talk quite a few times since then, but I'm unaware of an occasion when he's commentated or reported on any live sport for them during this period.
  • Options
    JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heared John Rawling do a few football reports for Five Live in recent months but I do believe the darts was his first full blown radio commentary since 2005.

And in the past couple of years, Rawling's completed the clean sweep for all the main terrestrial broadcasters:

BBC: 2014 Lakeside Darts.
    ITV: Regular darts commentator for PDC events.
    Channel 4: Paralympic athletics.
    and even Channel 5: Commentator on 2012 Great Birmingham Run!
  • Options
    AlexanderF1AlexanderF1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    mattt wrote:
    ;

- On the BBC's red button presentation, it really does seem to make no logical sense that they can't use Colin Murray and Bobby George to present it as if it were a linear tv channel.

on sky the red button is an interactive feed. but on freeview (which i have) rb channel 301(the red button feed) is no different to bbc 1 or itv 4 and i dont understand on rb channel 301 its very low standard definition
    i would love see viewing figures for the red button. why dont the bbc make it an offical channel and call it bbc extra running alonside other channels. they never advertise stuff on the red button the bbc.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight they did have some red button presentation when Martin Atkins had to withdraw with injury. Rob Walker chatted to him backstage and spoke to the cameras about it
  • Options
    Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random musing, why is it that BDO announcers finish off the leg with "yes that's game shot....."

I mean, where does the "yes that's..." come from? They don't do that in the PDC.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight they did have some red button presentation when Martin Atkins had to withdraw with injury. Rob Walker chatted to him backstage and spoke to the cameras about it

yep and they watched him throw some darts backstage too, but it would be good if they did use presentation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GREAT VIEWING FIGURES FOR FIRST WEEKEND OF LAKESIDE 2014

The BBC's coverage of the 2014 BDO Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships have attracted a peak of 3.1 million viewers over the first weekend of the competition.

This good news continues following the 7% increase in viewing figures from last year's competition. The final of last year's competition enjoyed a peak of 2.6 million viewers despite being in competition with ITV's Dancing on Ice.

Sue Williams, Chairperson of the BDO said:

"I am delighted at these viewing figures. Our partnership with the BBC continues to give fans who are unable to get to Lakeside 'a front row seat' at our biggest and most prestigious darts tournament."
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep and they watched him throw some darts backstage too, but it would be good if they did use presentation

Surely Murray and George are presenting the "As-live" links for the highlights and thus wouldn't be able to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Surely Murray and George are presenting the "As-live" links for the highlights and thus wouldn't be able to?

i still think they should do it live...
    just as the snooker should be with hazel and jason, they should do that.
    i wonder why they dont...
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    Random musing, why is it that BDO announcers finish off the leg with "yes that's game shot....."

I mean, where does the "yes that's..." come from? They don't do that in the PDC.

Just because it's not done in the PDC, doesn't mean it HAS to be the same in the BDO.

The PDC has crowds that rather get p****d up instead of actually watching the darts.

They don't do that in the BDO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well what a ladies game that was this afternoon, wonderful high standard. 6 180s and a 177 from Lisa Ashton in just 3 sets. Brilliant and so pleased it was on live
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Tony Green with Adams on 159:

"Which way will he go?"

Adams hits a single 20

"He cannot finish now"

He later on in the match reinstated Adams as the England captain - he isnt even in the team these days.

Give it up, Tony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madsocks wrote: »

The PDC has crowds that rather get p****d up instead of actually watching the darts.
    i have never watched a pdc event as i dont have sky but i watched a video of mvg in a pdc match and its terrible you cant here a thing.

its quite ironic that at pdc(players take it seriously) the crowd just shout and get drunk and show no respect to the players. where as at the bdo(where players dont practise 10hrs a day)the crowd goes dead silent when a shot is being played.

the womens match was really good today almost jumped out of my seat when the first shot was a 180.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i have never watched a pdc event as i dont have sky

You dont have ITV4 then?
  • Options
    Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly wouldn't see this in the BDO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgmy4gVMCec
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You dont have ITV4 then?

i live on the isle of lewis in scotland and we only have a freeview light transmitter so people with freview only get 20 tv channels and 13 radio channels. we get all the main channels but no itv 4 unless you get freesat or sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i live on the isle of lewis in scotland and we only have a freeview light transmitter so people with freview only get 20 tv channels and 13 radio channels. we get all the main channels but no itv 4 unless you get freesat or sky.

I don't think Ginger Daddy expected that reply ;)
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Green v eccles excellent at the moment.

Agree re tony green. I feel he has entered ray french territory (someone who i respect but should probably step aside).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner95 wrote: »
    Certainly wouldn't see this in the BDO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgmy4gVMCec

Won't see that in the BDO? May I be the first to say thank **** for that then.
  • Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »

Agree re tony green. I feel he has entered ray french territory (someone who i respect but should probably step aside).

Agreed with both of the above too, the Lakeside has been really good over the last couple of days including this match.

Maybe on Green, he could be used some nights as a pundit - his experience and knowledge shouldn't be lost, but last nights Rawlings and Proudfoot-a-thon was great.

Incidentally I wouldn't critisise the BBC's coverage of this year's Lakeside much as at least it's live and almost every dart's available to almost all licence fee payers. But as I've already said a bit of presentation on red button (interactive feed / freeview channel or otherwise) would be good (Rob Walker on Atkins accepted). And the second issue I would raise is not covering the second mens Semi-Final live on BBC 2 on Saturday. I know in part this is a relic of the ESPN coverage sharing agreement, but seriously?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy seemed to be enjoying himself there dancing on stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think Ginger Daddy expected that reply ;)

Don't think anyone did:)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    loyalsince wrote: »

Ray has stepped aside. He did his last commentary during the World Cup.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    John Rawling also commentated on football for ITV (chiefly highlights games on The Championship) and talkSPORT (mainly on the 2010 World Cup) as I mentioned on one of the previous pages. He initially left BBC Radio 5 Live to become ITV's boxing commentator.

Someone asked on the Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters thread in the radio section the other day whether John's commentary on the PDC World Darts Championship Final last week was his first commentary on Radio 5 Live since leaving his role as their athletics and boxing correspondent in 2005 - does anyone know whether this is the case? I believe he's been a panellist on Fighting Talk quite a few times since then, but I'm unaware of an occasion when he's commentated or reported on any live sport for them during this period.

When interviewed on 'The Wrong Bed Podcast' John Rawling said he thought it was his first radio commentary since 2005, so even he's forgotten his brief stint for talkSPORT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When interviewed on 'The Wrong Bed Podcast' John Rawling said he thought it was his first radio commentary since 2005, so even he's forgotten his brief stint for talkSPORT.

If I had been linked to talkFOOTBALL, I'd want to forget it as much as possible too.