GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is of course 42.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <pedant mode>This isn't an equation, it's an expression. That's because it hasn't got an equals sign or any unknowns represented by letters. It's evaluated, not solved.</pedant mode>

Sorry, it just annoys me to see expressions wrongly called equations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the previous one is still correctly 288.

:p
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a slightly unfair question as its entirely theoretical.

If expressed as an actual situation,e.g. How much is your shopping if you buy a pair of jeans at £40, get 40 free pairs of socks and buy a wristband for a pound, most people would have no problem with it, without needing to worry about brackets and acronym aide memoires.

For some reason though, there's a fad for being anal about mathematics notation. It's just the equivalent of posting threads saying "where, according to the strict grammar rules taught in Victorian grammar schools, do the commas go in this nonsensical sentence?"
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming that 'x' means multiply the answer is clearly 41. Can't see any ambiguity there really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is 1
    40+40=80
    80x0=0
    0+1=1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    The answer is 1
    40+40=80
    80x0=0
    0+1=1

That's how I got it, but I think every solution on the thread is viable.

FWIW - the answers 1 and 41 were both about equal on facebook last time I looked with hundreds, if not thousands of answers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who thinks the answer is anything other than 41, Google BODMAS and you'll learn that in the absence of brackets to the contrary, multiplication should be performed before addition.

BODMAS is only a convention, it's not something like Pythagoras which can be proved. However, it's a convention which is followed throughout the whole of maths, science and technology, so it can't be ignored.

This question isn't theoretical. As a simple example of where knowledge of BODMAS is vital, take the equations of motion in physics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    This question isn't theoretical. As a simple example of where knowledge of BODMAS is vital, take the equations of motion in physics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

Are you saying that (over)use of brackets cannot replace BODMAS in motion equations? It's just a shorthand. And like Shorthand, it's merely a convenience for those that know and use it. It's not required, and, when applied to real life situations, those that aren't familiar with those conventions can write down (and work out) the answers without using it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Are you saying that (over)use of brackets cannot replace BODMAS in motion equations?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Obviously, we canna change the laws of physics (as Scotty used to say) so each of the equations of motion can only be evaluated in one way if the correct results are to be obtained.

It is possible to add redundant brackets to expressions, which don't change the order of evaluation, just make it more obvious. This is often done in television programs such as Countdown, where some of the audience might not be aware of the BODMAS convention. Redundant brackets aren't normally used in maths, science or engineering textbooks or exam papers, because pupils and students should know about BODMAS.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    That's how I got it, but I think every solution on the thread is viable.
    No, only one solution is viable. 41.
    FWIW - the answers 1 and 41 were both about equal on facebook last time I looked with hundreds, if not thousands of answers.
    All that proves is that, assuming two choices, half the people who answered don't understand basic arithmetic.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    No, only one solution is viable. 1.
    I'm hoping the ambiguity in your answer is deliberate...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    There seems to be an ambiguity in your answer...
    Woops, a typo. Or more a "didn't hit the '4' key hard enough"-o.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woops, a typo. Or more a "didn't hit the '4' key hard enough"-o.
    Well, it might have been a joke. Emphasising "one" with the numerical form to set people off again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    it's merely a convenience for those that know and use it.
    True, but 100% of pupils and students of maths, science and technology should know it.
    It's not required
    True, but in that case umpteen brackets would be required. That would be messy even an an elementary level, and at A level and beyond would be horrendous.
    and, when applied to real life situations, those that aren't familiar with those conventions can write down (and work out) the answers without using it.
    Only if the redundant brackets are present. Otherwise, the ignorant will get incorrect answers.

There is no shame in ignorance. Children who haven't yet been taught it, and adults who have never been taught it or forgotten it, will work left to right and get the wrong answers but they cannot be blamed for that.

Several decades ago BODMAS was taught in the early years of secondary school. Perhaps someone might be able to tell us if that is still the case?
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Key that equation/formula/expression into Excel and it gives the answer 41. So assuming Excel obeys the significant operators laws then 41 is the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Well, it might have been a joke. Emphasising "one" with the numerical form to set people off again...
    Damn my honesty. That would have been a much better explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, only one solution is viable. 41.

All that proves is that, assuming two choices, half the people who answered don't understand basic arithmetic.

There was a choice of 4 answers.

It proves to me nothing more than the solution is ambiguous at best and that there is no generally accepted convention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not exactly relevant; my point was that those answering '1' don't understand basic arithmetic.
    It proves to me nothing more than the solution is ambiguous at best and that there is no generally accepted convention.
    You're completely wrong.

The solution is not in any way, shape or form ambiguous, and there is an accepted convention...otherwise known as the laws of arithmetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not exactly relevant; my point was that those answering '1' don't understand basic arithmetic.

You're completely wrong.

The solution is not in any way, shape or form ambiguous, and there is an accepted convention...otherwise known as the laws of arithmetic.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, as I've stated, maths is absolutely not my strong point, so I'm not likely to defend my stance on this to the death :D

I'm fairly certain though, that as I've been taught, the answer would have come to 1. I was never taught BODMAS (I'm 37 if that makes any difference to when it was taught in schools?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to be proven wrong, as I've stated, maths is absolutely not my strong point, so I'm not likely to defend my stance on this to the death :D

I'm fairly certain though, that as I've been taught, the answer would have come to 1. I was never taught BODMAS (I'm 37 if that makes any difference to when it was taught in schools?)
    Brackets
    Of
    Division
    Multiplication
    Addition
    Subtraction

That means you evaluate multiplication before addition. So 40*0 is evaluated to 0, leaving 40+0+1 = 41.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't mean to be rude, but this sort of thing really amazes me. At least the other one was vaguely ambiguous, but there genuinely is no possible debate about this. It is not ambiguous, there are just people who know how to do maths and people who don't.

If they do 'ask the audience' in millionaire, there are a number of people vote for each answer. That isn't because the answer to 'who was queen of England in 1870' is ambiguous with no generally accepted convention - it's because some people don't know the answer, and the same applies here....

ETA: I've just tried typing that as a string into my very basic calculator and even that gets the right answer (which, I'll admit, surprised me a little)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i put 41 on fb! but i have seen one of my friends show how it can be done 3 ways! so all are right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephmcuk wrote: »
    i put 41 on fb! but i have seen one of my friends show how it can be done 3 ways! so all are right.
    No, they're not. They answer is unequivocally 41.

Well, we could start arguing over which numeral system is in use, but I think that could be missing the point slightly.
  • Options
    pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 36 and I have older siblings, and we were all taught this. You can't ignore conventions and expect to get the right answer, it's akin to deciding that you want to ignore brackets or not recognise "+" as meaning "plus".

Why do people think they can do this sort of thing with maths and their answer can still be considered correct?