Top 20 Greatest Sports Movies of all Time

muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
Forum Member
✭✭
Field of Dreams has made The ShortList Magazine's list of Top 20 Greatest Sports Movies of all Time. Check out the entire list below and see where Field of Dreams ranks.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/films/the-20-greatest-sports-movies-ever-made

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What? No Major League!

I refuse to take that list seriously.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a list from 'Shortlist' it's amazingly light on rubbish like 'Escape To Victory', which is the sort of thing such magazines will normally include. Only 'Caddyshack' really lets it down.

And well done on them including 'This Sporting Life'. Cracking film.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    For a list from 'Shortlist' it's amazingly light on rubbish like 'Escape To Victory', which is the sort of thing such magazines will normally include. Only 'Caddyshack' really lets it down.

And well done on them including 'This Sporting Life'. Cracking film.

I loved Escape to Victory. :(
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool runnings?
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    The Natural (1984) has always been a favourite of mine.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Deathrace 2000? No Herbie Goes Bananas? No White Men Can't Jump? No MVP: Most Valuable Primate? No Shaolin Soccer? No Bring it On? No Teen Wolf?!!!?!

None of the great sports movies included at all!

On a serious note, The Champ should have been included.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd swap the hilariously foul-mouthed "Slapshot" for the witless "Field of Dreams" and "Bull Durham" for the coma-inducing "Chariots of Fire".:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Mighty Ducks - bam
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member
    Where's Spacejam! :eek: :D
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like The Tin Cup.

I also enjoyed The Goalkeerper's Fear of the Penalty but I don't think that counts here. If chess is allowed in, what about The Luzhin Defence? A very good film.

When I was a lad I enjoyed The Final Test, some here will know that one.

Also there is The Glory Game, which I think was made for TV, and is really about a supporter rather than the sport, but it's good.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    No Deathrace 2000? No Herbie Goes Bananas? No White Men Can't Jump? No MVP: Most Valuable Primate? No Shaolin Soccer? No Bring it On? No Teen Wolf?!!!?!

None of the great sports movies included at all!

On a serious note, The Champ should have been included.

PMSL a that title :D
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favorite sports films have to be Raging Bull and Moneyball.
    I thought De Niro's portrayal of Jake La Motta was a gritty realism of the rise and decline of the Boxer as well as the man himself. As well as being brutal it also had it's moments poignancy and sadness. Moneyball produced an insightful narrative into the industry of Baseball through the perspective of Billie Bean, a man who faced the realities of constructing a team with limited resources. Again, Brad Pitt produced an excellent performance in which the audience could empathise with his frustration at the industry itself.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rounders and the hustler are hardly sports movies

not a bad list - but what about Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy, and The Longest Yard (Sandler is always reliable!)

seriously - Fat City was supposed to be good, although I haven't seen it.

then there are lots of decent ones, like Coach Carter, Friday Night Lights, Varsity Blues, etc

Even in racing, surely Secretariat and Champions are on a par with Seabiscuit.

I liked Goal 1 and Goal 2, but haven't seen Goal 3.
    I even liked When Saturday Comes

And what about the wonderfully emotional Brian's Song.
  • pepperfootpepperfoot Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    the best sport movie is any given sunday. for sure. and as it goes to best football movies. there are a lot of them around.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pepperfoot wrote: »
    the best sport movie is any given sunday. for sure. and as it goes to best football movies. there are a lot of them around.

Great list on that link, I would give it to Friday Night Lights as the best football movie and I think Rudy is underrated and under viewed.

America does sport on film better than anybody else.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen seven of those movies,and Field Of Dreams is my favourite.I like it a lot more now than when I first saw it because I now follow baseball religiously and know who all the players were and what the stats mean,which makes for a much better film.

Of the films which portray actual sporting action,I like Rocky but the boxing scenes are pretty crap.I hated Raging Bull and again,the boxing scenes were way too over the top to be even semi realistic.But then I find that actual boxing is generally slow and tedious,so I suppose they have to liven it up a bit.

I don't know what Rounders was even doing on the list.I will never accept any card game as being even remotely like a sport.And Caddyshack hardly seems apprporiate either.If they wanted spoof films on the list,Major League and Bull Durham are far better

All the films are about generally mainstream sports.It would have been good to see something like The Big Blue on there,which was about the extreme sport of free diving.Nobody could actually relate to having done it,but it was absolutely stunning to look at.

There was a film I saw probably thirty years ago or more,a documentary about a bunch of motorcyclists trying to scramble up this massive hill,which looked to be at a forty something degree angle.Probably wasn't,but it was STEEP.It was absolute hell as one rider after another tumbled back down the hill.Absolutely gripping film.I thought Steve Mc Queen was in it,but I didn't see it on his bio.He did do a motorcycle documentary called On Any Sunday,but I didn't see this big hill on the trailer.
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    No love for Grand Prix or Le Mans?