The console room

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was there ever a reason given why the white console room of the old series has been replaced by the current version? And could it ever go back?

Comments

• cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctors change them all the time. I think Matt Smith's is like the 7th different console.

Paul McGanns was the best by far though.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I think the white console room is the default setting -

Once the Doctor discovered he could change the theme he hasn't been able to resist tinkering. Idris said she had 31 versions archived.

(Though even back in the original series the console room got slight changes/cosmetic improvements)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they'd bring back the Series 5 and 6 TARDIS console. It was FAR superior to the current one in my humble opinion. It looked stunning. I wish I had one :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the one in The Hand of Fear and other Tom episodes, and the different ways the Upper Boat and Roath Lock located sets were used, particularly Amy and Rory taking different routes to open all the doors to the swimming pool for River's dive in Day of the Moon
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although we only got a minor glimpse, I rather liked the hybrid classic/NuWho War Doctor console room!

http://purpleblancmange.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/john-hurt-tardis-console-room_2.jpg

Add 11s console, and I'd pretty much orgasm! :o:D
  • doctorcheeseydoctorcheesey Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Although we only got a minor glimpse, I rather liked the hybrid classic/NuWho War Doctor console room!

Me too.......altho, i would love to see them keep the central console they have now, and use the roundels frim war doc as the room itself.....oooh ya said that, missed that bit, sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too.......altho, i would love to see them keep the central console they have now, and use the roundels frim war doc as the room itself

See my edit! ;)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Aye, the round things looked really nice in Day Of The Doctor. Hope they make a return for Capaldi's Doctor.

I've a feeling they will. Older Doctors, if Hurt's Doctor is anything to go by seem dismissive of new the fangled stuff the younger ones play with.
    Forum Member
    Well, that glimpse ya saw of doc 12/13, it dod look rather bright behind him....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that glimpse ya saw of doc 12/13, it dod look rather bright behind him....

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2nlgz7k.jpg

If you look at his shoulders, he does appear to be wearing burgundy-coloured clothes; the same as Matt Smith's current costume. My guess would be then that they filmed this clip at the same time as they filmed Matt's regeneration sequence so Capaldi would be wearing Matt's costume.

This would also imply that, unless they update the console room again at Christmas, the console room they filmed that brief scene in is exactly the same as the current one.
    Of course, that isn't to say Capaldi won't get a new one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://oi41.tinypic.com/2nlgz7k.jpg

If you look at his shoulders, he does appear to be wearing burgundy-coloured clothes; the same as Matt Smith's current costume. My guess would be then that they filmed this clip at the same time as they filmed Matt's regeneration sequence so Capaldi would be wearing Matt's costume.

This would also imply that, unless they update the console room again at Christmas, the console room they filmed that brief scene in is exactly the same as the current one.
    Of course, that isn't to say Capaldi won't get a new one.

Nah, its been around for less than a year, I don't think they'll go to the expense of changing anytime soon! The current one is pretty damn good imo, yes would love to see the return of the classic roundels but this one has a 8 feel and was probably very expensive to build.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Nah, its been around for less than a year, I don't think they'll go to the expense of changing anytime soon! The current one is pretty damn good imo, yes would love to see the return of the classic roundels but this one has a 8 feel and was probably very expensive to build.

I personally think the current one feels cheap and tacky compared to the previous one.
    It almost certainly isn't though.
    Anyway, I very much doubt Capaldi will get a new console room, but I'm not ruling it out. If he does, it will be much later on in his "reign"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think the current one feels cheap and tacky compared to the previous one.
    It almost certainly isn't though.
    Anyway, I very much doubt Capaldi will get a new console room, but I'm not ruling it out. If he does, it will be much later on in his "reign"

Oh I'm sure, give it 3-4 years and it'll change, probably with a change in show runner. I hope they go retro! :D
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    original version was very clever ! the inner walls were parallel with outer ones strongly suggesting they were the same walls .......

the nu who version has lost this which is a pity. bigger size is pragmatic for hdtv format. inner walls suggest something organic rather than technology ...... consistent with nu who which is more magic than science .......

the one off film version replaced time rotor with intermeshing rods. a step backwards but has been retained .........
  • jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the background for hurts console room was acquired from the set of An adventure in space and time. Would be quite fitting if it was given that Who was famous for reusing sets.

I love the new one, wasn't sure at first but I love how it's all enclosed. reckon it will be a few years before it's changed, though I imagine they built it to easily redesign it round a fixed skeleton to save money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the nu version doesnt have the 4th wall missing and is an enclosed space. also much bigger. so you can move cameras all round the space enabling the types of shots required for hdtv format ........
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    original version was very clever ! the inner walls were parallel with outer ones strongly suggesting they were the same walls .......

the nu who version has lost this which is a pity. bigger size is pragmatic for hdtv format. inner walls suggest something organic rather than technology ...... consistent with nu who which is more magic than science .......

the one off film version replaced time rotor with intermeshing rods. a step backwards but has been retained .........

I didn't realise a 'time rotor' was an actual real-life thing... :p

Seriously, though, they are both time rotors - just different styles. I prefer the intermeshing rods, as it gives it a more useful look - like it actually does something!
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I actually had to live in one, it would be McGann's.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I think the white console room is the default setting -

Once the Doctor discovered he could change the theme he hasn't been able to resist tinkering. Idris said she had 31 versions archived.

(Though even back in the original series the console room got slight changes/cosmetic improvements)

He had discovered how to do it in The Time Monster, then quickly changed it back again! :D
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    He had discovered how to do it in The Time Monster, then quickly changed it back again! :D

Yes, that was quite an atrocity wasn't it! :eek: Washing-up bowls on the walls! Strange that The Master decided to use the same format for his own Tardis at the same time! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the time rotor suggests some sort of control device ..... like the rest of the console ...... whereas intermeshing rods suggests some sort of drive engine which is far less convincing ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Well they have options now. I'm sure Hurts tardis has been mothballed and will make an appearence again soon. Also hope they kept the set from AAISAT, would need some work to make it usable but just love that original design. Matts console room is too bland and plastic looking to me and the carousel thing (the helicopter according to McCoy!) just looks naff to me.
    Forum Member
    The "helicoptor" with lights in, fer some reason, always brings the film event horizon into me mind
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The rods were kind of explained in 'The Edge of Destruction' and reinforced by RTD in 'Boom Town' and 'Parting of the Ways'. The time vortex energy is contained under the console somewhere and it is the rising and falling of the column which releases this I think. The central column kind of contains it or at least that is my understanding of it. The helicopter therefore, to me, just don't work because it feels more computerised and less mechanical. Doesn't fit into the logic of the previous TARDI (TARDIS's?) to me.