Options

Newly bought used iPad 3rd gen goes haywire

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
A few weeks ago, I bought a secondhand iPad 3rd gen on eBay. It was intended and specifially bought to be taken on holiday abroad, so apart from turning it on, playing with it for a bit and synicing it to iTunes on my Mac, I didn’t use it until I flew off last week. It worked fine for several hours, then suddenly it went haywire: swtiching apps at random, entering goobledegook text etc, and the screen was unresponsive.

After quite a few go’s I managed to turn it off. The following day it turned on as usual, but then the same thing happened after a while. Just re-booting i.e. turning off, then on again immediately, doesn’t stop the behaviour. It has to be off for several hours.

I looked up ‘unresponsive screen’ and found a site which claimed 1 in every 1,000 3rd gen iPads have this problem. Was I sold a pup? Did the seller realise something was up and get rid of it? I wouldn’t have minded had it been sold on eBay as ‘for spares or repairs’ but it was sold as ‘used’. Cosmetically it’s in good nick.

Comments

• Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of the issue? My iPad 3 still working perfectly. Have you tried a restore from iTunes? If that doesn't solve, maybe a trip to an Apple Store (make sure you make an appointment!).
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo go the apple stores Genius Bar, best to make an appointment they will diagnose for free and tell you how much to fix if there is a hardware fault.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a touchscreen develops a problem when warm, some sort of recalibration is meant to fix things. Yes, likely sold a pup, a major problem on ebay.

Can it be jailbroken for/if any fix on Cydia ?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    It's possible that the seller (especially if it's an established eBay trader) had acquired it from someone else and hadn't tested it properly and didn't know it was a dud. But as others have said, only an Apple repairer can help you now.