Options

Does Amy really work as a companion ?

Comments

• Options
    mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told throughout the last series that I should hold on with my judgement as there was something brewing about amy and all would be revealed and i would love her.

That didnt happen.
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She might be better if she stopped overacting. The actress seems to think she is in a panto.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Loved Amy, for me she's the best companion of the new series so far. The chemistry between her and the Doctor is great, and the relationship between her and Rory seems very real. She worked very well as the "Ghost of Christmas Present" in ACC.

I did love Donna Noble, though often it seems that the ways she made herself useful (for example, figuring out the dates in the Doctor's Daughter) seemed very false and manufactured. It was very odd that her very useful skill was... office work.

Martha Jones, on the other hand, was very believable going from Trainee Doctor to soldier.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Karen Gillan's portrayal of Amy is absolutely stunning!

She is, independent, fearless, cunning, calculated, funny (Very), sassy (never really liked that word but hey ho!), and a match for the Dr.

IMHO, Amy would wipe the floor with Rose (re attitude), is more witty and clever than Martha and would only probably find an equal in Donna but Donna would struggle to keep up!

So does she work as a companion, I would say a very BIG yes. The role of the companion today is far different from the classic series, they are very much an equal these days.

I think only IAn and Barbara and maybe Liz Shaw can compare to the modern companion!

Even Harry Sullivan (a Doctor) was a bit of a limp biscuit!

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    She might be better if she stopped overacting. The actress seems to think she is in a panto.

Oh no she doesn't!!!! :D
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that she and Matt Smith have chemistry when you see footage of them in real life. They bring that chemistry to the screen deffo.

The Rory character has run its course for me though.

If Amy leaves in this upcomming series then I'd love to see Anna Friel in the show next :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    I think that she and Matt Smith have chemistry when you see footage of them in real life. They bring that chemistry to the screen deffo.

The Rory character has run its course for me though.

If Amy leaves in this upcomming series then I'd love to see Anna Friel in the show next :)

IMO his character has only just started to shine through in his own right! I think he is a brilliant comedy actor with superb timing!
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    IMO his character has only just started to shine through in his own right! I think he is a brilliant comedy actor with superb timing!

Yep, on reflection you do make a fair point there. Lets hope he can have a more meaty part this series though...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree....there is so much more potentail with Rory's character and story to explore, and by the sounds of series 6...we will be getting something ......love him!!!!
  • Options
    mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just being shallow for a mo

totally love karen's hair colour...if anyone knows where I can get that in a box/bottle...please let me know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member

I complete agree with you and think he is the perfect foil for Amy who can be quite abrasive and I think still has to settle into her role as companion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I agree....there is so much more potentail with Rory's character and story to explore, and by the sounds of series 6...we will be getting something ......love him!!!!

And that, for me anyway, is the lovely thing with how Moffat has handled the companions. We're not getting their story all in one hit and, while I'm sure there's still more to come with Amy, Rory has only really been introduced to us at this point and of course there's River's story as well. It's a great way to go IMO as there's always something to keep your attention, you're not having to constantly spend time introducing new characters and it gives more time for both character and actor to find their respective feet. Frankly I'm hoping both Amy and Rory go three years as I really think there's enough story there to develop them both very nicely indeed.

On a side note.... interesting that they had Rory working control panels in the spaceship while Amy tried to reach Kazran's humanity. Wonder if that's one of the ways they're going to go, Amy as the heart of the paring, Rory as the mind. That'd make sense and give both something to do in the more actiony scenes.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Well, I think he could become somthing more like a strategist - in TBB he said he said 'I was plastic!'. So as he had become an Roman invader, and he said he had all that stuff n his head - now he remembers it, perhaps his chracter will be quite different from now on - but with all the necessary 'Rory-ness', obviously!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that, for me anyway, is the lovely thing with how Moffat has handled the companions. We're not getting their story all in one hit and, while I'm sure there's still more to come with Amy, Rory has only really been introduced to us at this point and of course there's River's story as well. It's a great way to go IMO as there's always something to keep your attention, you're not having to constantly spend time introducing new characters and it gives more time for both character and actor to find their respective feet. Frankly I'm hoping both Amy and Rory go three years as I really think there's enough story there to develop them both very nicely indeed.

On a side note.... interesting that they had Rory working control panels in the spaceship while Amy tried to reach Kazran's humanity. Wonder if that's one of the ways they're going to go, Amy as the heart of the paring, Rory as the mind. That'd make sense and give both something to do in the more actiony scenes.

yeah even though I could see why RTD decided to go with a change every series (and maybe while the show was still establishinh itself within the public concious again, it played a useful part to introduce newbiew like myself the importance of change in the show), I do like the fact that Moff has decided to keep his companions for longer....it does allow for the characters to breath more........
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Well, I think he could become somthing more like a strategist - in TBB he said he said 'I was plastic!'. So as he had become an Roman invader, and he said he had all that stuff n his head - now he remembers it, perhaps his chracter will be quite different from now on - but with all the necessary 'Rory-ness', obviously!

yes....it also showed him how brave he exactly can be....all though I felt he was very brave from the moment he tried to defend Amy from the fish Vampire with the broomstick and candles:D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Amy. She can sometimes see thing The Doctor can't, like The Beast Below and she can give as good as she gets. I see a bit of Tegan and Donna mixed up in there as well and I think she works well with the Eleventh Doctor. :)
  • Options
    dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    She's still no grabbing me. I found Rose annoying but I could understand her appeal. Donna did grown on me but Martha was my favourite because she was a little known actress and didn't come with any preconception. I find Rory more interesting because he seems to have more character quirks and questions. Basically if I was describing Rory to someone who had never heard of him I could say he's a nervous, sometimes jealous, personality but is loyal at times brave and devoted. With Amy she just seems a bit moody young shop assistant, Fit though with red hair. I guess I'm saying she doesn't make me care about her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    She's still no grabbing me. I found Rose annoying but I could understand her appeal. Donna did grown on me but Martha was my favourite because she was a little known actress and didn't come with any preconception. I find Rory more interesting because he seems to have more character quirks and questions. Basically if I was describing Rory to someone who had never heard of him I could say he's a nervous, sometimes jealous, personality but is loyal at times brave and devoted. With Amy she just seems a bit moody young shop assistant, Fit though with red hair. I guess I'm saying she doesn't make me care about her

I find her very witty and intelligent, horses for courses I suppose!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Amy is brilliant.

Yes, she has a bit of an attitude, but if you'd grown up from the age of 7 to the age of 19 constantly being told that you're mentally unstable (and possibly even doubting your own sanity at times) you'd probably end up being a bit edgy and defensive too.

I love the way that every time tears threaten, or every time she is faced with an emotional moment, like having to say goodbye to the Doctor in "The Big Bang" she immediately brings down a wall in front of her, trying to act like she doesnt care, even though she so obviously does. She's lost almost everyone she has ever loved, so she puts up these walls to stop herself getting too close, so she can't get hurt again. It's a very real thing to do, and Karen acts that aspect of her personality so well.

I think we've got a lot more to see from Amy yet, and Rory's presence I'm sure will bring out her softer side.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JG600 wrote: »
    I think Amy is brilliant.

Yes, she has a bit of an attitude, but if you'd grown up from the age of 7 to the age of 19 constantly being told that you're mentally unstable (and possibly even doubting your own sanity at times) you'd probably end up being a bit edgy and defensive too.

I love the way that every time tears threaten, or every time she is faced with an emotional moment, like having to say goodbye to the Doctor in "The Big Bang" she immediately brings down a wall in front of her, trying to act like she doesnt care, even though she so obviously does. She's lost almost everyone she has ever loved, so she puts up these walls to stop herself getting too close, so she can't get hurt again. It's a very real thing to do, and Karen acts that aspect of her personality so well.

I think we've got a lot more to see from Amy yet, and Rory's presence I'm sure will bring out her softer side.

:D

From the age of 7 to 19 bouncing from one psychatrist to the next, probably finally believing them, THEN having your imaginary friend pop back in to your life and be generally brilliant and then spending another two years wondering why he abandoned you again.... yeah, I think there's scope to allow for being edgy there :D Oh, and having part of your mind remember your parents but never actually being able to actively grieve for them can't help much either. One of only... I'm going to go with two companions to have mental issues (Ace certainly did, can't remember anyone else although please correct if that's wrong someone).

On the bit in bold, watch the last scene of Amy's Choice (and this goes to those who think Karen is a bad actress as well). The body language there is TOTALLY different from what we're used to when watching Amy, she's talking about how she (basically) saved the day and she can barely bring herself to look at Rory because she can't put up those usual walls. Superb performance and a great example of the little things that have made all the main characters feel so real this year (IMO of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes....it also showed him how brave he exactly can be....all though I felt he was very brave from the moment he tried to defend Amy from the fish Vampire with the broomstick and candles:D

I'm sure there was a reason that Rory went with the Roman outfit for their honeymoon fun... :p

Actually, thinking about those outfits reminded me of the moment Karen utterly sold me on both the character and why she was in the show. Eleventh Hour when the Doctor bursts into Jeff's house and starts talking to Anette Crosbie's character and Amy joins him after deciding not to trip and die jumping the fence in that skirt. As soon as the Doctor starts moving around the room Amy sorta scuttles over to stand behind the sofa for the sole reason of trying to hide the skirt from someone who has obviously known her for years. It was just such a great little touch and led perfectly into the kissogram exchange with the Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Her character does not seem to have the impact of previous assistants. Maybe she's too independent to be attached to a time-traveller.

I always thought the companion functioning as an independent character was supposed to be a good thing. I mean, I can think of numerous stories in which the companion going off and doing things by themselves has been kind of an important part of the plot.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Her character does not seem to have the impact of previous assistants. Maybe she's too independent to be attached to a time-traveller.

She has enough 'impact' (whatever that means) for me. Independence is surely an assett when travelling the universe, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »

I'm not normally known amongst my friends as a romantic but for me, Rory being "the man who waited 1000 years" was just a great barometer of his character and passion! And the bit in TBB when we think he melted in the blitz and then appears as a modern security guard was just spot on!

IMO, his absence would be noted quite considerably!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love both Amy and Rory, they have to be my favourite companions so far. It helps that they're all mates in real life (and similar ages :p). I hope the trio doesn't change for a while yet.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    I think Matt Smith is a great Doctor and I like the character of Rory. I like Karen Gillan - she's nice looking and looks and sounds fun to be around with - but the character Amy leaves me cold.

This. She's far too like Tegan for my liking, it may not be her fault but I don't get on with abrasive and shouty people in real life and that's how she came over for most of the series. Yes I understand the reasons given her background etc etc and she did grow up towards the end of the series but then spent all her scenes in the Special shrieking 'Doctor, do something!' or similar, which didn't really add much.
    WelshNige wrote: »
    My least favourite companion so far in New Who, her reactions to being a companion don't seem 'real' enough to me somehow.

I just can't seem to warm to her.

again, this...
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i actually think you put this well, here. Amy is a challenge because she is supposed to be one. That's what I mean when i talk about the long game.

Plus i think some of her rough edges were sanded down by the events of The Big Bang, as her interactions with Rory and her happiness about her wedding indicated. Still think we have a lot to learn about Pond in series 6 as well.

Quite possibly there's a lot more to learn, but at the moment I can't feel too much real concern for her. Rory is such a nice bloke and I hope he gets as much screen time as she does next series.