• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, the OP hasn't been back. :rolleyes:

Maybe waiting for a flight. :D
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to cope better with the weather years ago than we do now, we had some nasty winters with heavy snow fall in the late 70's and again early 80's and we did not have the level of national panic, closures and outrage that we have now.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair I don't think it's even possible to land or take off in the middle of a blizzard dumping 2 feet of snow. London had a few inches which stopped flights for days after. Will be interesting to see how quickly flights resume!

A few inches?? Where about was that then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    A few inches?? Where about was that then?

Heathrow - 6 inches.

The amount of snow wasn't the problem, just the lack of foresight and planning in how to clear it.

Like I said be intersting to see how quick the US airports re-open after 18-24 inches!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heathrow - 6 inches.

The amount of snow wasn't the problem, just the lack of foresight and planning in how to clear it.

Like I said be intersting to see how quick the US airports re-open after 18-24 inches!

Ah, I misunderstood. I assumed a few inches was 2 or 3 inches. Half a foot is another matter.

JFK Airport is reported to be opening at 6pm local time this evening. That's impressive.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    electron wrote: »
    Bet you glad that you did'nt live in Scotland or the North East, it was very short lived in you.re London compared.

Parts of Lincolnshire, North East England and Scotland had snow depths in excess of 75cm with localised areas up to 1m.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Poor sods had to abandon vehicles in Manhattan during the blizzard

Why were any roads open in the first place?

The suburbs in New Jersey seem to be the worst affected with accumulations above 85 cm in some cities and towns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor sods had to abandon vehicles in Manhattan during the blizzard

Why were any roads open in the first place?

The suburbs in New Jersey seem to be the worst affected with accumulations above 85 cm in some cities and towns.

Twenty inches in Central Park. Child was there and had to fight to stand up in the wind.
    Forum Member
    Ah, I misunderstood. I assumed a few inches was 2 or 3 inches. Half a foot is another matter.

JFK Airport is reported to be opening at 6pm local time this evening. That's impressive.

Yes it's impressive.

I know they're far more used to it and invest more in equipment but I'm not sure such a big airport as Heathrow should be closed for days on end by 6 inches of snow. Especially as the last few winters it's become a regular event, the investors are going to have to take a bit of a hit IMO to make sure this doesn't happen again (they must of lost a fortune with the prolonged closure?), perhaps a visit to JFK to see how it's done.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flights may be cancelled during and shortly after the storm, but just wait to see how quickly they get things moving again.

A North Eastern US stow storm is an amazing force of nature - far worse than we ever get there as it is often coupled with high winds, thunder and lightening. I have seen it snow a foot in less than an hour.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol is half a foot supposed to seem bigger than six inches then?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    It was only 4 to 5 inches anyway in the official weather station reports. Of course, the airport management tried to make it seem more but it wasn't.

They quite simply failed to buy enough (or the right kind of) equipment and employ enough manpower to clear the occupied aircraft stands of what snow they had. Poor contingency planning - and the same happened at Gatwick in January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You'll have to ask the other poster. No point asking me. I never said half a foot was a few inches.
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It was only 4 to 5 inches anyway in the official weather station reports. Of course, the airport management tried to make it seem more but it wasn't.

They quite simply failed to buy enough (or the right kind of) equipment and employ enough manpower to clear the occupied aircraft stands of what snow they had. Poor contingency planning - and the same happened at Gatwick in January.

That figures, I'll stick with "a few" inches then.

I remember one shot on the news was one bloke in a green visi jacket trying to clear a patch with a shovel, sort of summed it all up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's impressive.

I know they're far more used to it and invest more in equipment but I'm not sure such a big airport as Heathrow should be closed for days on end by 6 inches of snow. Especially as the last few winters it's become a regular event, the investors are going to have to take a bit of a hit IMO to make sure this doesn't happen again (they must of lost a fortune with the prolonged closure?), perhaps a visit to JFK to see how it's done.

I agree. Heathrow need to put their hands in their pockets and purchase the best equipment possible. Even if this doesn't happen again for 5 years, they should still be prepared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the self-depricating English way. We hate ourselves really.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    why is it made out like we are the only city in the world who can't cope with snow?

I don't think you understand what north eastern US snow is like. Here is a timelapse video of the storm in question:

http://vimeo.com/18213768
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Heathrow could learn from many places not just NYC. They could learn from Berlin or Oslo. Really they could learn a few things from Gatwick. Since everyone's slating Heathrow it has to be said that CDG airport in France is pants in poor weather too.
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand what north eastern US snow is like. Here is a timelapse video of the storm in question:

That's only New Jersey. Chicago, the midwest, and the Great Lakes region tend to be worse.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's impressive.

I know they're far more used to it and invest more in equipment t but I'm not sure such a big airport as Heathrow should be closed for days on end by 6 inches of snowEspecially as the last few winters it's become a regular event, the investors are going to have to take a bit of a hit IMO to make sure this doesn't happen again (they must of lost a fortune with the prolonged closure?), perhaps a visit to JFK to see how it's done.

The pic in the Daily mail ( sorry for the source ) might shed some light on why Heathrow was clsoed for so long

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/25/article-1341610-0C942107000005DC-6_634x395.jpg

The owners of BAA need to pull their finger out or face massive fines and a threat of losing their licence to operate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

That video is so cool. (I mean it's hot but not. It's cold, brrr).
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London did actually. It happened on the 18th December.

London did not have 20 inches of snow.