Options

Lady Gaga - Born This Way (Official Thread)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Those lyrics are so cringeworthy!
  • Options
    x_hayes_xx_hayes_x Posts: 6,285
    Forum Member
    The BTW lyrics aren't just about gay people though. It name drops all sorts of minorities.

True...well she's certainly got people talking about it, hasn't she??? :confused: Lol! :):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    x_hayes_x wrote: »
    True...well she's certainly got people talking about it, hasn't she??? :confused: Lol! :):D

Guess this is what she meant by BTW will 'piss a lot of people off'. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hunny you were born in 1993, young queen go lose your virginity first and experience some gay prejudice before you run fast and loose with that tongue of yours. QUEEN

wow that's rude
    who cares if he's born in 1993, the lyrics are pretentious
    everyones received homophobic abuse but it doesn't make the song any less cringey...there are more subtler ways of promoting rights - this is the kind of thing that actually bites people in the butt...it's just gonna make the homophobes hate her and have more substance to take the piss with.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    The lyrics are cheesy, but be honest, what would you think if you read "let's have some fun; this beat is sick/I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" and "rah rah roma ma etc" written down without knowing how they're tailored to the beat? They're horrendous lyrics but they work with the song. Hopefully these do too.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think the point of songs like Firework and We R Who We R are that they could appeal to anybody who might feel they get mocked about who they are. They could apply to children, disabled people, black people, gay people, muslims, short people, you name it!

If they make the lyrics of the song so that they specify they're about gay people, that's great for gay people, but not so much for everybody else. The songs just won't have that many levels, and won't connect with a lot of the public.

I pretty much agree with your opinion. However if the song is good (despite the lyrics), i won't be complaining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    The lyrics are cheesy, but be honest, what would you think if you read "let's have some fun; this beat is sick/I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" and "rah rah roma ma etc" written down without knowing how they're tailored to the beat? They're horrendous lyrics but they work with the song. Hopefully these do too.

Yes but those songs wern't being touted as 'innovative', 'revolutionary', 'culture changing' or 'anthem of the generation'.

I really feel that by attaching all these arrogant labels to the album that Gaga and her team have almost set her up for a fall. Why be so superfluous about your work?
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Vanilla101 wrote: »
    Yes but those songs wern't being touted as 'innovative', 'revolutionary', 'culture changing' or 'anthem of the generation'.

I really feel that by attaching all these arrogant labels to the album that Gaga and her team have almost set her up for a fall. Why be so superfluous about your work?

It's called hype. All artists do it. LOUD was touted as Rihanna's Thriller—it wasn't. Britney's 3 was touted as her return to form and "amazing" etc—it wasn't. Everyone does it. I ignore it, and most should—but inevitably won't.

Also, they were applied to the song in general not the lyrics specifically. The lyrics don't have to be Shakespearean for the song to be any of those things—not that I think it actually will. (I just want a fun pop song, which I actually think it will be now that I've seen the lyrics.)
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Looking forwards to this now.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever is criticising the lyrics is missing the bigger picture.

Music transcends cultures, borders, politics and Lady Gaga is the hottest new artist on the planet. She has 17 million fans on Facebook alone and another 8 million on Twitter. For her to continue singing vaguely about disco sticks and bluffing with her muffin while people in some countries are still being EXECUTED FOR BEING GAY and with teens even in the most developed countries committing suicide due to abuse, would be a missed opportunity. The song is extremely brave on her part, it's to the point and it's what the world needs to hear right now so shut up and sing along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Whoever is criticising the lyrics is missing the bigger picture.

Music transcends cultures, borders, politics and Lady Gaga is the hottest new artist on the planet. She has 17 million fans on Facebook alone and another 8 million on Twitter. For her to continue singing vaguely about disco sticks and bluffing with her muffin while people in some countries are still being EXECUTED FOR BEING GAY and with teens even in the most developed countries committing suicide due to abuse, would be a missed opportunity. The song is extremely brave on her part, it's to the point and it's what the world needs to hear right now so shut up and sing along.

I would imagine that most of the Facebook followers are also Twitter followers, and vice versa.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    I would imagine that most of the Facebook followers are also Twitter followers, and vice versa.

Well she has the most followers on Twitter, more than Obama or Oprah or Britney or Bieber or any other recording artist. She's in a very privileged position and she's done a very brave thing for LGBT people worldwide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Well she has the most followers on Twitter, more than Obama or Oprah or Britney or Bieber or any other recording artist. She's in a very privileged position and she's done a very brave thing for LGBT people worldwide.

G0DG4
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave 'BTW' a listen today from beginning to end (having done so with 'TFM' countless times!) and I have come to quite a conclusion about it.

Firstly I would say the album is FULL of positivity and there is no doubt about it, it is a feel good album and diverse in opinion. However there are a lot of negatives when it comes down to it. (this could all be subject to opinion, but it's my opinion nonetheless):

-Out of the singles, there isn't one that would make a casual fan or a 'the fame' gaga fan really really like, or rather there isn't a single that really makes you fall in in Love with Gaga again for the BTW era. 'Born This Way' is a great track but instantly alienates a lot of people by the time we get to the "don't be a drag, just been a queen" verse, I would say that 'BTW' (single) isn't a song people would feel "cool" with admitting to liking. The same goes with 'Judas' (though it is catchy as hell). The diverse appeal that could've been for 'The Edge of Glory' was instantly lost by the time of it's release because (not intentionally) Gaga had created a relationship between her and her fans, almost as if there wasn't room for any others.

I've also noticed a lot of the tracks are quite mixed in with eachother and you go from one sound to another. For example the difference between 'Born This Way' and 'Americano' for example, as well as the difference between 'Hair' and 'Heavy Metal Lover'. They don't gel well together on one album, though I will say each song is instinctively different and individual.

Personally I think the real gems of the album are:
    Government Hooker
    Heavy Metal Lover
    Electric Chapel (which I've only just realized)
    Schiesse