Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Block storylining has killed any momentum EE has going for it.

I couldn't hack the depressing storylines. So switched off.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    This Morning is not specifically billed as 'This Morning with Phillip and Holly", it is still, as far as i'm aware, just 'This Morning'. Eamonn and Ruth have actually presented the show longer then them two together and featured in previous titles. I think it's a bit unfair not to have Friday titles and / or include them in some way.

I dislike This Morning, but I like Eamonn and Ruth.

Just don't think there's any need for seperate titles, I'd just bin the long titles all together and just call it 'This Morning' and have short straight to the point titles.

Personally, like I say, i'd ditch the long titles, replace with a generic bumper, and just have break bumpers featuring the presenters of the particular day.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should move Eastenders to avoid the clashes - especially for what should have been a big event with Ian seeing Kathy. But yep the block story lining, and generally unsympathetic characters are ruining it. DTC should understand soap opera audiences just don't like to see innocent people go down!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on. I remember reading the soap forum and dtc couldnt do nothing wrong. How the tables have turned. To be fair ive not seen eastenders for about 2 weeks but reading the forums ive bot missed nothing.

The first year DTC was in charge was great and he turned things around.

But after Live Week look at what he's done. Dragging out storylines like Stacey's key (which I hope is the key to a nuclear device and wipes out some of the scripts), getting rid of promising characters like Lola and Cindy, keeping deadwood like Fatboy and Billy, breaking up families and couples. He had one big idea and now has nothing left.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The first year DTC was in charge was great and he turned things around.

But after Live Week look at what he's done. Dragging out storylines like Stacey's key (which I hope is the key to a nuclear device and wipes out some of the scripts), getting rid of promising characters like Lola and Cindy, keeping deadwood like Fatboy and Billy, breaking up families and couples. He had one big idea and now has nothing left.

I think Billy must have emigrated, it seems he hasn't been in it for years.
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    This Morning is not specifically billed as 'This Morning with Phillip and Holly", it is still, as far as i'm aware, just 'This Morning'. Eamonn and Ruth have actually presented the show longer then them two together and featured in previous titles. I think it's a bit unfair not to have Friday titles and / or include them in some way.
    It is specifically billed when they're presenting.
  • Options
    Minute Mart 1Minute Mart 1 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Now there is an idea. A major disaster on the cobbles introduces the new Weatherfield General and allows the viewers to follow their favourite characters and be introduced to a whole new setting for a drama.

I shall just open up Microsoft Word right now and start typing :D (other Wordy type programs are available)

I wonder if it would be like the Hospital in Hollyoaks. :D
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on. I remember reading the soap forum and dtc couldnt do nothing wrong. How the tables have turned. To be fair ive not seen eastenders for about 2 weeks but reading the forums ive bot missed nothing.
    I think you mean you've 'not missed anything' rather than 'not missed nothing', the latter rather defeats the point you were trying to make. :)
  • Options
    spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Phillip Schofield's comment on This Morning regarding tonight's Mr & Mrs and GBBO. Subtle!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »
    They should move Eastenders to avoid the clashes - especially for what should have been a big event with Ian seeing Kathy. But yep the block story lining, and generally unsympathetic characters are ruining it. DTC should understand soap opera audiences just don't like to see innocent people go down!

Even before the clashes EastEnders was in trouble after Live Week, Kathy's return has meant nothing for ratings. Several wasted opportunities and bad decisions since then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    Loved Phillip Schofield's comment on This Morning regarding tonight's Mr & Mrs and GBBO. Subtle!
    Did he say see you next week? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigel12 wrote: »
    They should move Eastenders to avoid the clashes -
    I disagree, EastEnders has had the 7:30pm slot since September 1985, I don't think they should keep moving the show in different time slots. We all know the slots for EastEnders in the schedule, if itv want to move their soaps around that is fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't hack the depressing storylines. So switched off.

That's a myth.

I always think EastEnders is better when it is hard hitting kitchen sink drama. Sadly we are not getting much of this. I don't really want 'love and warmth 'back. If you want all that Mullarkey pop over to Weatherfield. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Block storylining has killed any momentum EE has going for it.
    You have hit the nail on the head and too many things are happening off screen that we are not seeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    EastEnders has gone off the boil since Live Week and has had odd flashes of brilliance. The producer has run out of ideas.

It does seem so. However all is not lost, all EastEnders needs to do is stop the block story telling, get back to basics, remember what EastEnders is about and what Julia and Tony's vision was for the show. No more returns, it is getting a bit like the customer service desk at Marks and Sparks. Try and be true to the characters and don't go down the Hollyoaks route of being sensational for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, EastEnders has had the 7:30pm slot since September 1985, I don't think they should keep moving the show in different time slots. We all know the slots for EastEnders in the schedule, if itv want to move their soaps around that is fine.

The trouble is when they move EE to a different time slot they don't promote it properly and a lot of potential viewers miss episodes. What's the point of running a promo for EE without saying when it's on ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The trouble is when they move EE to a different time slot they don't promote it properly and a lot of potential viewers miss episodes. What's the point of running a promo for EE without saying when it's on ?

Yes I agree, BBC One fail miserably on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 6.30 regional news 4.985 million
    BBC 6 4.557 m
    BBC 10 3.865 m
    ITV 6.00 regional news 3.125 m
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The 8.30 episode they did on a Thursday a few weeks back rated okay, better than the show would've done in the clash it moved to avoid. I don't know how much it was promoted though. I guess it's a matter of principle, why should the BBC bow down to ITV's heavy handed tactics and give up the slots which EE has been in for 30 years?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    The 8.30 episode they did on a Thursday a few weeks back rated okay, better than the show would've done in the clash it moved to avoid. I don't know how much it was promoted though. I guess it's a matter of principle, why should the BBC bow down to ITV's heavy handed tactics and give up the slots which EE has been in for 30 years?

But isn't that the same as people expecting ITV to move X Factor later and later, so Strictly can have the lionshare of primetime?

People don't want Strictly starting earlier, so it doesn't dent BBC One's ratings, but they have no problem with X Factor being on later, who relies on ad income, just so Strictly can air all their show in primetime.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont know if this has already been mentioned or not. If it has apologises.

From 24th October the Harry Potter films will only be on Sky so they wont be on itv for a while.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a672434/harry-potter-is-getting-his-own-channel-for-a-three-day-movie-marathon.html#~pqrgpllSOP7wlC
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    But isn't that the same as people expecting ITV to move X Factor later and later, so Strictly can have the lionshare of primetime?

People don't want Strictly starting earlier, so it doesn't dent BBC One's ratings, but they have no problem with X Factor being on later, who relies on ad income, just so Strictly can air all their show in primetime.

Actually they should move X Factor to 18:15 and bring back Play Your Cards Right at 20:15.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Dont know if this has already been mentioned or not. If it has apologises.

From 24th October the Harry Potter films will only be on Sky so they wont be on itv for a while.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a672434/harry-potter-is-getting-his-own-channel-for-a-three-day-movie-marathon.html#~pqrgpllSOP7wlC

How on earth are ITV going to manage? Do I detect a James Bond season looming into view.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem so. However all is not lost, all EastEnders needs to do is stop the block story telling, get back to basics, remember what EastEnders is about and what Julia and Tony's vision was for the show. No more returns, it is getting a bit like the customer service desk at Marks and Sparks. Try and be true to the characters and don't go down the Hollyoaks route of being sensational for the sake of it.

The horse has bolted in that respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Peston to ITV News and Peston On Sunday confirmed.

http://www.itn.co.uk/press-releases/robert-peston/
This discussion has been closed.