Options

SPOILER Sat 23 October

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Alisonrose. Not surprised at Peter but thought Ian might pull in enough votes to keep Michelle out of the bottom two!
  • Options
    tiddlebootiddleboo Posts: 1,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have been Gav and Peter.

So glad for Tina, sad for Michelle though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Thanks Alisonrose

Thank you from me too.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't just people who find her entertaining that vote for her, John Sargent etc. There are a lot of people who seem to resent the fact that some viewers would prefer to concentrate on the dancing element and strange as it seems, there are people who actually hate the show but still watch and place votes. They get their revenge by voting for the worst dancer and then claiming that it's an entertainment show and who cares about learning a skill. What a sad, cynical world we live in, where aspiration and talent are seen a boring and undesirable.

I absolutely agree with you. I think there are usually about 4-5 weak dancers, of which at least 1 is dreadful. I don't mind too much if the 'dreadful' one stays in at the expense of the other weak dancers, but it gets annoying - and I think weakens the show - if it is at the expense of the "good" dancers.

And yes you are right; some people seem to resent viewers who actually prefer to watch good dancing. They can argue it's an entertainment show as much as they like, but it's entertainment based on dance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    whats troubling me is that i am worried anne will survive over the top dancers due to the voting

She may well end up doing a 'John Sergeant' and bow out gracefully so don't despair just yet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Castanet wrote: »
    She may well end up doing a 'John Sergeant' and bow out gracefully so don't despair just yet!

No chance!!!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did one with Lisa.

And that was a brilliant AT
  • Options
    fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Thank you Alisonrose. Not surprised at Peter but thought Ian might pull in enough votes to keep Michelle out of the bottom two!

She's a bit like a stick of limp celery, really, isn't she? :(
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yes you are right; some people seem to resent viewers who actually prefer to watch good dancing. They can argue it's an entertainment show as much as they like, but it's entertainment based on dance.

I don't resent good dancing, but it IS entertainment. It is most certainly NOT Come Dancing. Sorry if this offends, but I find Ann a LOT more entertaining than Gavin, Peter and several others. Would I like her to be saved over better dancers? For the time being yes.

Come Dancing was shuffled off to BBC2 late night midweek because nobody watched it, and it died a natural death. SCD isn't the same show despite having a similar title. It is about entertainment, and that's an element the dance freaks forget.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    I don't resent good dancing, but it IS entertainment. It is most certainly NOT Come Dancing. Sorry if this offends, but I find Ann a LOT more entertaining than Gavin, Peter and several others. Would I like her to be saved over better dancers? For the time being yes.

Come Dancing was shuffled off to BBC2 late night midweek because nobody watched it, and it died a natural death. SCD isn't the same show despite having a similar title. It is about entertainment, and that's an element the dance freaks forget.

Come Dancing most certainly didn't die a natural death. The production team kept fiddling with it, for example by axing the old time section and replacing it with a 'band spot' (as if anyone wanted just to sit and watch the band play). The inevitable (and probably calculated) result was that the programme became less popular justifying moving it to a graveyard slot so that it became even less popular giving the producers the excuse they wanted to axe it completely. It was more manslaughtered.

With all the changes this year, I do fear that Strictly may suffer the same fate :(

I'm not too fussed about Ann staying at the expense of Peter/Gavin but it will start to become a joke if she stays at the expense of the likes of Matt and Kara.
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the producers were trying to breathe life into a corpse by making changes. It was basically a show that nobody wanted to watch anymore, and it hasn't been ressurected and called SCD. The entertainment element does seem to be forgotten by a lot of the puritanical fanatics. If it wasn't for the entertainment element this show would not be on TV at all - let alone prime time Saturday night.

I don't think Ann will survive for too long, and I have no doubt that whoever wins it will be a just and worthy winner. But she is entertaining, and I'd rather watch her than some of the people that are better dancers technically but do nothing for me.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not too fussed about Ann staying at the expense of Peter/Gavin but it will start to become a joke if she stays at the expense of the likes of Matt and Kara.
    Yes, but still Ann staying makes only 1 week difference.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Come Dancing most certainly didn't die a natural death. The production team kept fiddling with it, for example by axing the old time section and replacing it with a 'band spot' (as if anyone wanted just to sit and watch the band play). The inevitable (and probably calculated) result .

What Len and Karen Hardy pointed out on 'The story of Strictly Come Dancing' [documentary shown a few years ago] was that the original Come Dancing never evolved and the ratings gradually declined.
    By the time changes were actually made to jazz it up it was already in terminal ratings decline, as most viewers saw it as niche and old fashioned and couldn't be tempted back.

What would actually kill strictly would be another dull as dishwater series like the last years.

This years opening weeks are the most watched opening weeks ever !!
    Last weeks alone was up 1.5m year on year. The show on a whole is 15% up on last year.

Sorry if it upsets some of you that your favourite pros have been dumped but the revamp has actually worked and it has prolonged Strictlys life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,668
    Forum Member

I agree with you. For now I am happy to see Ann stay in! Disappointed with Michelle being in the bottom two.. I did give them my vote tonight in the hope to see Brendan again next week. Anytime I vote it seems to be bad luck so maybe I'll just stop voting from now on.

For me the original "Come Dancing" died a death when Rosemarie Ford took over the presenting. Not sure whether that was entirely the reason but it was a similar time. I LOVE the new SCD format... I feel like an excited kid every time I watch it. What gets me the most is seeing people who don't dance fall in love with the magic that is Ballroom. I hate seeing anyone leave..... we shoudl bring back the "Nobody Should Leave" thread :)

Peach
    x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    As Len and Karen Hardy pointed out on 'The story of Strictly Come Dancing' a few years ago was that Come Dancing never evolved and the ratings gradually declined.
    By the time changes were actually made to jazz it up it was already in terminal ratings decline, as most viewers saw it as niche and old fashioned and couldn't be tempted back.

What would actually kill strictly would be another dull as dishwater series like the last 2.

This years opening weeks are the most watched opening weeks ever !!
    Last weeks alone was up 1.5m year on year. The show on a whole is 15% up on last year.

Sorry if it upsets some of you that your favourite pros have been dumped but the revamp has actually worked and has prolonged Strictlys life.

Axing the pro's hasn't improved the ratings at all. Not clashing with X Factor will have contributed the largest slice of any improvement in ratings.

The reason that the last 2 series were dull is that the standard of dancing generally was lower than it had been in previous series. It is looking like we have at least 4 celebs this year who have the potential to be seriously good which is good for the competitive element and should make it more exciting.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Although I most certainly wouldn't vote for Ann up until now a good dancer hasn't left. The problem is will she go at just the right time before a good dancer goes. History tells us this won't be the case unfortunately.
  • Options
    Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    Michelle does not have enough suppport. She is an American, are people not liking that fact that she is not a brit?

She showed herself in quite a bad light the first 2 weeks and then not everybody knew about Brendan's bereavement last week until after the show was broadcast.

But I think it goes back to the start of the series and who knew who she was?
    Maybe UK Destiny's Child fans are more prone to watch X Factor and the rest are in the USA?
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    And that was a brilliant AT

Sorry to disagree with you welwynrose but THIS was a brilliant AT. ;)

Not sorry to see Peter go, he wasn't really very good. He tried but, he and Anne were the worse tonight (imho). Like others I thought Ian might have saved Michelle from the bottom two.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another stunned that Michelle was in the bottom two with Ian as her temporary partner.:eek: She was certainly much improved, but it would seem her repeated "I thought I'd be here till Christmas" comments, have rubbed too many people the wrong way? Every interview, she opens a gob and sticks her large left appendage straight in it!:rolleyes:

Ultimately the right person left. The camp, clown handed penguin was painlessly put to sleep. (Only to surface for a Harry Hill dodgy pun and put down):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to laugh at Ian:

ianwaite ian waite
    Really loved my week with @realmichellew and I can safely hand her over to @thebrendan_cole ready for next week! Phew! Good luck guys Xxx
    43 minutes ago

Then....
    ianwaite ian waite
    That's if we get through!!!!! ;0) Sorry!!!
    2 minutes ago
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy_M wrote: »
    I have to laugh at Ian:

ianwaite ian waite
    Really loved my week with @realmichellew and I can safely hand her over to @thebrendan_cole ready for next week! Phew! Good luck guys Xxx
    43 minutes ago

Then....
    ianwaite ian waite
    That's if we get through!!!!! ;0) Sorry!!!
    2 minutes ago

Michelle sort of gave the game away in her Tweets as well!

Same for Robin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Michelle sort of gave the game away in her Tweets as well!

Same for Robin.

I suppose if you don't want to find out you stay away from here and Twitter. :D

I thought his back-track was funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    He did one with Lisa.

Yes I know he did but I was told by the man himself that it was the only celeb dance he has ever done on Strictly that he didn't choreograph (too lazy to check spelling here so apologies) himself! I thought is was a good dance though.

Loving Ian's little slip on Twitter! Saw the first one and thought replying to tell him off would only draw more attention to it. Missed the second one, when I returned the message was gone - he obviously found the delete button!

One of the girls I follow messaged Erin too & was told off!
  • Options
    katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't by any chance the bit where she nearly kicked Ola in the face just after the end of the solos when the rest of the girls come back on?

Who knew we had so much in common after all? :D
    It was!
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Another good result, the only one better would have been the flying widde :eek: