Options

One Plus 2

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huawei and ZTE seem capable of fitting NFC on cheap phones.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    An NFC chip costs what, £1?

They also removed the dual speakers at the bottom (although they weren't stereo so maybe it's not that important).
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks nice, but there's a few smallish things that put me off so I think I'll be sticking with my S6 for now. If I get an invite I'll post it here
  • Options
    iampaulxoiampaulxo Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Does the one plus 2 support carrier aggregation (cat 6 and above) or is it still stuck on cat 4? Cheers
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iampaulxo wrote: »
    Does the one plus 2 support carrier aggregation (cat 6 and above) or is it still stuck on cat 4? Cheers
    Cat 6, supports carrier aggregation.
  • Options
    iampaulxoiampaulxo Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Cool thanks, this has been the only thing that has baffled me, I knew the specs for lte on gsmarena had to be wrong somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my Chinese version, I haven't spent long with it but it is an "alright" device with some headline features like the fingerprint scanner but also drawbacks like USB Type C.

The fingerprint scanner/home button can be a bit hit and miss, when it works it is quick but sometimes it doesn't register, being recessed doesn't help. I think this is both software and hardware related, once I get the latest build I will feedback again.

USB Type C is extremely annoying for me especially as they decided to exclude a Type C to Micro USB adapter in the box. Again charging speeds seem to be a downside, being restricted to 0.5A unless the official adapter is used.

Snapdragon 810 hasn't been an issue so far, hotter than 801/808 but not overheating. A glance at CPU-Z seems to suggest 8 cores are never used at once, it behaves much more like 808 using 6 cores, and as I'm typing this with low battery it is using the A53 cluster exclusively and not the A57 cluster at all.

Dual sim on the Chinese version does actually work with one IMEI somehow, I have had a few issues with outgoing texts/calls but incoming texts/calls work perfectly with EE/Vodafone sims.

Is it worth the price? Probably, but it is very similar to the LG G4 which has reached a similar price, and the next nexus' will be a couple of months away max.

Is it worth the wait? Depends on how long, it will still be a competitive device this Autumn but much Winter it will have some real competition.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The issue with the Chinese version (this time around) is no 800MHz support :(
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Last I heard the Chinese version doesn't even have the same OS, can you confirm if it has their standard OS?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of the box the Chinese OP2 will not have 800MHz like most Chinese phones however we may be able to unlock it providing the hardware for all variants is the same which it likely is.

The Chinese OP2 comes with Hydrogen OS as standard however most resellers flash Oxygen OS and if they don't it isn't hard to find the zip on the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Denco1 wrote: »
    Out of the box the Chinese OP2 will not have 800MHz like most Chinese phones however we may be able to unlock it providing the hardware for all variants is the same which it likely is.

Has there ever been a Chinese phone that has allowed "unlocking" of other bands like 800Mhz? I can think of a few who have tried on various handsets on XDA, I can't remember any having succeed.
    The Chinese OP2 comes with Hydrogen OS as standard however most resellers flash Oxygen OS and if they don't it isn't hard to find the zip on the internet.

Even more reason why being desperate to be first to have one can be a bad idea, should something go wrong you are probably beyond any warranty help and considering how poor onePlus warranty backup seems, that's really far up a certain creek without a paddle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a Chinese phone that has allowed "unlocking" of other bands like 800Mhz? I can think of a few who have tried on various handsets on XDA, I can't remember any having succeed.
    I don't know about 800MHz specifically but certainly bands have been unlocked. If the neccesary amplifiers etc are present in the hardware which they quite possibly are then enabling bands should be relatively easy.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unlock-aditional-bands-qualcomm-t2877031
    Even more reason why being desperate to be first to have one can be a bad idea, should something go wrong you are probably beyond any warranty help and considering how poor onePlus warranty backup seems, that's really far up a certain creek without a paddle.
    Buying from third parties exempts you from the manufacturers warranty however most third parties will cover you if something goes wrong. It isn't exactly risky flashing a zip though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know about 800MHz specifically but certainly bands have been unlocked. If the neccesary amplifiers etc are present in the hardware which they quite possibly are then enabling bands should be relatively easy.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unlock-aditional-bands-qualcomm-t2877031

So it's not possible.

From your own link:
    This guide will, however, NOT UNLOCK ADITIONAL LTE BANDS. At least not for now. It will be updated if and when someone discovers a way to tamper with the LTE bands.

Buying from third parties exempts you from the manufacturers warranty however most third parties will cover you if something goes wrong. It isn't exactly risky flashing a zip though.

That doesn't happen with reputable brands, so another reason to avoid onePlus. If I buy an iPhone from Giffgaff or a Samsung from Argos the manufacturer still honours their warranty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    So it's not possible.

From your own link:

That doesn't happen with reputable brands, so another reason to avoid onePlus. If I buy an iPhone from Giffgaff or a Samsung from Argos the manufacturer still honours their warranty.
    I just copied a general band unlock guide, here is the LTE one
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56577252&postcount=455

Buying a phone from a retailer who buys in Chinese phones and exports them is pretty different from buying a phone from an official partner.

What I have done is go the unofficial route because for me at the moment Band 20 isn't a big deal for me, I have purchased it more to show people who are waiting to see what the device is like, I won't be keeping mine for very long. That isn't to say don't go the unofficial route, if you are fine with the drawbacks then go for it.

Anyway you can buy the phone officially from OnePlus so I see no reason to avoid it all together simply because they do not cover phones sold by unauthorised resellers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see even onePlus discourage the buying of the Chinese version for use outside of China.
    The Chinese version will have very limited 4G compatibility in Europe and North America. More importantly, it only has one IMEI meaning you will not have dual-SIM capability outside of China. If you like having dual SIMs, do not buy the Chinese version.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-regional-versions-explained.338780/
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the hardware I'd say. On the Nexus from my memory it was possible to swap bands a bit between the D820/D821. If the amplifier is there then it's just a software fault. I once managed to wipe some part of my radio on my Nexus by accident and no 4g of months, turned out I'd managed to corrupt the NV Item that handles the bands, you can change it but the hardware isn't always there.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got in the queue for an invite- I hope to have a chance to buy the One Plus 2 next year probably.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading some user reviews of this phone I'm not as convinced about its offering as I once was.

It does seem that heat is an issue and when it's not warm its slugish due to the software management of the chip. Think I'll pass any invite I get on or at least wait for more reviews.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    After reading some user reviews of this phone I'm not as convinced about its offering as I once was.

It does seem that heat is an issue and when it's not warm its slugish due to the software management of the chip. Think I'll pass any invite I get on or at least wait for more reviews.

Im beginning to think the same, its a lottery again to even buy one.
    I will probably wait for the Moto Style,Nexus or Xiaomi Mi5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Im beginning to think the same, its a lottery again to even buy one.
    I will probably wait for the Moto Style,Nexus or Xiaomi Mi5.

I suspect many are the same then as thats what im seriously thinking now; Moto Style x or Nexus.

I am just hoping that Nexus leak isnt correct as it doesn't look that appealing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading and watching many reviews I've decided I don't want one anymore .

Another case of falling for the hype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not looking good for sales then. Lol
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided against using my invite. Not sure if I can transfer it now I've activated it on my account?

The lacklustre camera, no NFC, no fast or wireless charging are all reasons - plus SD810. Oh, and many other exciting devices coming at similar prices from Motorola, Honor and hopefully Google (having realised charging silly money doesn't work).
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got a invite I could use? and i'll love you forever <3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a new Honour Plus on the cards with a wider range of frequency's?