Options

True blood books

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
Forum Member
✭✭
Are they any good? I'm thinking of reading them and starting from book 4 while I'm waiting for the new series to start.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Start from the beginning, as the TV adaptation has some pretty significant changes and deviations from the books.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The books are better than the series. It is best to read them from the beginning.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    yes the books really need to start from book one as they are a lot different from the show, the characters in them and how they are written vastly differ from how they are written.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started reading the books as I loved the first series/season of the tv show, stopped after the 3rd one.

Personally I prefer the show, I found the books to be aimed more at the teenage market.

If you do read them though, do start at the beginning as it differs quite alot from the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I am reading the first one still (it's taking me ages because I am so preoccupied these days!) and it's getting better. I seen the show before the books, so I started with the wrong images in my head. Once I got over that I started to enjoy the book.

I have to read some sentences more than once, though. I don't normally do this with reading but I find the way it's written strange sometimes. They're written for an American market so there's slight differences in the style I think.

The shows roughly follow the book, but there's big differences. It also seems that the latter part of series 3 ignores most of the book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely start from the beginning. I'm really enjoying the series, it's quite pacy. I've also warmed to the main characters more in the books than I did while watching the tv version. I think I'll appreciate the characters a bit more when the new season starts.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the books. The show tries to give every character (from the books or their own) something to do, Harris just tells the story as she likes it and she makes better choices, IMO.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer the books, gave up on the second TV series as I found it rather dull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    metanoia wrote: »
    I started reading the books as I loved the first series/season of the tv show, stopped after the 3rd one.

Personally I prefer the show, I found the books to be aimed more at the teenage market.

If you do read them though, do start at the beginning as it differs quite alot from the show.

see i read a lot of teen stuff and i wouldnt say they were aimed at the teen market, too much sex lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they teen books?
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% definitely NOT teen books :D

Number four, the one with Eric in it a lot, has been my absolute favourite ;)
  • Options
    CaldicottCaldicott Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Cineast wrote: »

Oh I love this one! I'm looking forward to seeing how it's handled on screen as well. I also like the one before the last one. A really enjoyable series :)
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like the True Blood books try the UnDead and Unwed series by Maryjane Davidson. In a similar vein(!!!!) but very funny.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Cineast wrote: »

I can't think why you might like book 4 :D
    I love the books and have read them all so far. I prefer them to the show. Read them all from the first book, don't start at book 4.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    I've got books 1 - 9 but never read them. Bought them on a whim cos I love the show. I've also got Vampire Diaries and Vampire Academy (can you see a theme LOL ;))

Think I might have to get my reading goggles out.
  • Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just downloaded them for my ipad and i've just finished the first one. I really enjoyed it and now i'm reading book 2. It's not great Literature but it is nicely written and easy to digest. I can't believe she killed off a major character from the tv series at the start of book 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salbates wrote: »
    I've just downloaded them for my ipad and i've just finished the first one. I really enjoyed it and now i'm reading book 2. It's not great Literature but it is nicely written and easy to digest. I can't believe she killed off a major character from the tv series at the start of book 2.

eeerrrr... don't you mean 'you can't believe the TV kept a minor character alive and turned into a major one'? :D

They are NOT teen books and were never marketed at that audience. Charlaine harris is known as a murder mystery writer, not a teen writer.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read all 10 books :eek:, the get pretty samey after a while but still worth a read.... They are not literay greats or anything but I still enjoyed.

I am a little bit in love with Eric :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got books 1 - 9 but never read them. Bought them on a whim cos I love the show. I've also got Vampire Diaries and Vampire Academy (can you see a theme LOL ;))

Think I might have to get my reading goggles out.

i have read all the above and love them all also the house of night ones are quite good
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started the last one, and have enjoyed them all so far :) I also enjoyed the Harper Connelly ones and am planning on starting on Aurora Teagarden next!

I've got the first season of True Blood on disk to watch when I'm next off work, I'll wait and see.

And no, most definitely NOT teen books! :)
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think why you might like book 4 :D
    I love the books and have read them all so far. I prefer them to the show. Read them all from the first book, don't start at book 4.

I've started watching the TV series again - I fast forward through the other bits till I get to Eric:o :D:D
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    ^ I think I might start doing that.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the books and the show. The way I look at the show is that it's extra and different stories on top of the books. I think they've done a great job with Eric but am annoyed that the show won't go anywhere near the books with him (thinking book 4 here). The characters are all pretty similar in the show from the books but dumbed down especially Pam, Arlene and we hardly got to see Calvin and Debbie at all.

Eric though....dear me I so would :o:D
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they are very good but its best to start from the begining i've only got up to book 4 at the moment i'm juggling them with J.R Wards Blackdagger series and Rachel caines the morganville vampires and other books i will get back to sookie eventually :)