Has Five completely given up?

cgkcgk Posts: 528
Forum Member
✭✭
Now I know that on an evening like this, no channel is bring out it's big guns but has five completely given up as an actual broadcast network and is simply putting things on as filler around plugs for Dirty Des's papers?

This evening prime-time viewing is:

8pm Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (1975)
9pm Butterflies (1979)
10am Terry and June (1983)

The standard on Five have always been pretty low but how much lower can it get?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Very few people can get Channel 5 locally. So few watch it.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The retro output gave Five similar BARB figures to the Australian soaps on Boxing Day.
  • cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The retro output gave Five similar BARB figures to the Australian soaps on Boxing Day.

Is that the Future for Five? endless reruns from 1970s and whatever cheap tat Dirty Des can get his hands on? If he's getting similar figures for such cheap material, surely they will simply add more and more of it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind the snobbery, but I'd rather watch decent 70s sitcoms over some of the expensive tosh that's been on the BBC this Christmas.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmond really hasnt made a good start.
    the Big brother fans (me included) were thrilled to hear him all but say BB had found a new home,then he came out with that other plans of getting Corrie,Xfactor and goodness knows what else.

now hes talking about getting top of the pops,he keeps banging on about this 300 million for new shows.the only dead Cert Katie price is going to be popping up on there in 2011 and if the twitter rumours are true some of the bigger names of Big brother (lets be honest those type of shows arent going to even dent that 300 million).

He seems to just pick TV shows out of the air and say he wants that on Channel 5.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time 5 was a success for me was when it had Prison Break. The only thing i watch on it now is The Mentalist. Other than that the channel really is the pits.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cgk wrote: »
    Is that the Future for Five? endless reruns from 1970s and whatever cheap tat Dirty Des can get his hands on? If he's getting similar figures for such cheap material, surely they will simply add more and more of it?
    I dont think the fact this stuff being on at Christmas means it going to become part of the normal daytime scheulde.

That said I would not put it past Desmond to give it a trail, what can it hurt?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching C5 in peak time. Something I wouldn't normally do by choice.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Oh for goodness sake. TWO nights of vintage programming over the holidays and we get ridiculous threads like this.

Who cares how old the episodes are? They are classics and well worth being shown again! Some Mothers had me in stitches, it's aged really well.
    Forum Member
    Very few people can get Channel 5 locally. So few watch it.
    Erm, things have moved on a bit from the early analogue days. Since most are on digital now, the vast majority can get C5. Indeed 30m tune in to C5 every week.
  • xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nan wrote Butterflies.. it was a quality sitcom
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind the snobbery, but I'd rather watch decent 70s sitcoms over some of the expensive tosh that's been on the BBC this Christmas.

I agree I only lasted five minutes of Rob Bryden, just looked at Buzzcocks and think it is back ot Butterflies.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Erm, things have moved on a bit from the early analogue days. Since most are on digital now, the vast majority can get C5. Indeed 30m tune in to C5 every week.

How did you calculate 30m??
  • wild_tywild_ty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The last time 5 was a success for me was when it had Prison Break. The only thing i watch on it now is The Mentalist. Other than that the channel really is the pits.

They need more hit drama's like this. Flashforward for example was a brilliant show they recently obtained the rights for. Shame it only lasted for one season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    How did you calculate 30m??

A little site called barb can be rather useful at times ;)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Furnell wrote: »
    A little site called barb can be rather useful at times ;)

So half the population watch Five every week? I don't think so.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using this 30mill style "messymatics" I calculate that 375million people watch BBC1 each week!

It's all those immigrants...
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    cgk wrote: »
    Now I know that on an evening like this, no channel is bring out it's big guns but has five completely given up as an actual broadcast network and is simply putting things on as filler around plugs for Dirty Des's papers?

This evening prime-time viewing is:

8pm Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (1975)
    9pm Butterflies (1979)
    10am Terry and June (1983)

The standard on Five have always been pretty low but how much lower can it get?

Actually I'd argue the standard has just gone up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did five ever secure big brother in the end then?

From what I read at the time it seemed a done deal but havent heard anything since
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Human123 wrote: »

From what I read at the time it seemed a done deal but havent heard anything since

apparently the deal fell through.
    they couldnt agree on a price and a whole host of other things.the talks stalled very shortly after it was assumed the deal was done.

loads of us have emailed C5 and all we get is a Generic reply saying watch out for a whole range of shows in 2011.
    Endemol havent replied either to emails about the situation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Human123 wrote: »

no they didnt, that isnt going to happen now.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five are beating Channel 4 in the Ratings most nights so people do like what they show.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, CH5 is a more attractive option than CH4 recently.

What is the obsession with "Come Dine With Me" that that channel has?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    What is the obsession with "Come Dine With Me" that that channel has?
    well ITV have to make a profit some how..

Just looking ahead, it looks like C4 is going to milk "Famous & Fearless" for all its worth, a 90 minute primetime show, repeated the following day at 9:25am
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    So half the population watch Five every week? I don't think so.
    They are reach figures. You only have to watch 3 consecutive minutes of Channel 5 over the course of the week to be counted (the average is about 90 minutes). Yes, roughly half the population do so every week!