The Olympic Torch route

13»

Comments

• JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    graham001 wrote: »
    But really and truly, it IS only a torch!

It's NOT 'only a torch' .... it's the one relic of Nazi Germany that every country in the world, without exception, still thinks is a good idea :-)
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few options to go and watch the torch and I'm thinking of a couple of nominations and I'm really excited about the Olympics :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    It's NOT 'only a torch' .... it's the one relic of Nazi Germany that every country in the world, without exception, still thinks is a good idea :-)

Not really...the innovative use of camera techniques used by Nazi propaganda queen leni riefenstahl are still in use today...
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »

It is still only a torch to those uninterested in the Olympics. It's not the actual Games.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who worked that day, not because they had to but because they wanted to.

I was not down to work, but I soon changed that.
    The problem was you could not get away from it, almost Every channel you turned to, every radio station you turned to it was on.

Be the same with the Olympics, you will see it on evey flipping channel, BBc will take every thing off or move them to different channels,

Not every one is interested in a load of people running around a track

It'll only be on the BBC & Eurosport as they are the only ones who have the rights in the UK. Even then I suspect that in prime time it'll just be on BBC1 as they'll have to offer an alternative for those who aren't interested.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    burneside wrote: »
    Who coined that awful term? I wonder if other countries use it when referring to the British team.

Perhaps team U.K would be more appropriate considering N.I and G.B are on the same team. Wonder why N.I has been omitted.
  • bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13391986

The map above shows the stops.
    Plenty of stops in England but not many elsewhere.
    Typical. :rolleyes:
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobgob wrote: »

Typical. :rolleyes:

Looks very generous to Scotland if you bother to consider relative populations.

Scotland has less than a tenth of the population of England so why should the stops be in any other proportion.

Whinging chip-shouldered Scots again :p
  • chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    There will be a separate torch relay for the Paralympics so I'm sure it will go to Stoke Mandeville.

Also as a couple of other posters have pointed out what's been announced today is just the ovrnight stops. It will pass along many other places during the day & there will be lunchtime stops too.

Already got 25th May in my diary though when it comes to Cardiff.

Thanks for this - I didn't know that there were separate torches. Hopefully the Paralympic one will go through Stoke mandeville, should do as one of the mascots is called mandeville.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Perhaps team U.K would be more appropriate considering N.I and G.B are on the same team. Wonder why N.I has been omitted.

I think the title "Team UK of GB & NI" would be a tad cumbersome;)
    bobgob wrote: »

Typical. :rolleyes
    :

Once more.

They are the overnight stops - it will pass through plenty of places:rolleyes:
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is brilliant, the torch is coming to Coventry.