Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    But nobody knows for sure either way. The facts are he shot the gun more than once and, like I said earlier, that's overkill in my mind to simply warn/scare someone.

And again, if its a gun capable of firing four shots in two seconds or less, that's easily a short enough timeframe for it to be done just as recklessly as a single shot.

Your premise relies on him being reasonably calm and collected, and thinking straight.

Either way - if it had been a violent argument, or if he really did think it was an invader, I really struggle to accept that he was at all calm and collected.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You stated" I think we're all concerned about security, but still on occasion forget to lock a door. " and I said I haven't. So?

So, it wasn't about what you do.

It was about what people generally do.

If you want to make it about you, and what you would do, but miss the point in the process, fine.

If you never, ever forget anything, ever, well down you.

But it puts you in the minority.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with this!

I live in London and it is what you do, surely the same would go if you lived somewhere like Pretoria? Gated community or not it is just sensible to lock your doors and windows?

Particularly when paranoid about intruders.
  • Options
    GorbagGorbag Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I also bet that SA is pretty easy to use a light aircraft to cross the border. People use light aircraft all the time to reach remote parts, go on safari etc.

Quick flight to Mozambique and then private jet (and a few bribes if necessary) to Europe, South America or Asia.

Maybe even a private jet from SA. He has the moeny, he probably has the friends.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my problem with it as well, one shot into the ceiling as a warning, Reeva screams out its her in the toilet, where she could have previously been keeping quiet, intent on hiding from the intruder, four shots towards the room, however he angled them, that's an attempt to kill or seriously maim imo.

yes i agree with you

don't understand why he did 4 shots
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    So, it wasn't about what you do.

It was about what people generally do.

If you never, ever forget anything, ever, well down you.

But it puts you in the minority.

Oh right it wasn't about me, just everyone else. ok. You were talking about security / doors not "If you never, ever forget anything, ever, well down you"
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    If they were angled down they could have been.

Four ?? You shoot one to warn , not four .I honestly thing you are just being argumentitive for arguments sake now .All day yesterday and today you clutch a straws that are barely there and argue to your hearts content .

Who in their right mind doesnt know four shots even if downward is likely to hit and kill .???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And again, if its a gun capable of firing four shots in two seconds or less, that's easily a short enough timeframe for it to be done just as recklessly as a single shot.

Your premise relies on him being reasonably calm and collected, and thinking straight.

Either way - if it had been a violent argument, or if he really did think it was an invader, I really struggle to accept that he was at all calm and collected.[/QUOTE]

Each to their own I suppose. I know how I feel about it but might change when evidence is submitted in the trial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the defence have said they would consider it culpable homicide. Is that the same as manslaughter? Or is it still murder.

What does anyone think about the fact she was wearing here shorts when shot. Probably not that relevant as when she heard OP shout she probably would get off the loo and pull her shorts up. No-one would calmly carry on peeing if OP shouted.

Of course it means she wasn't shot mid pee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four ?? You shoot one to warn , not four .I honestly thing you are just being argumentitive for arguments sake now .
    Who in their right mind doesnt know four shots even if downward is likely to hit and kill .?

Felt that for a while now.

Doesn't take a gun savvy person to realise that 3/4 shots fired into such a confined space wouldn't do considerable damage.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's feasible isn't it. He could abscond.

Absolutely. Whether by boat, private airplane, or whatever, there are many ways he could get out and do a Lord Lucan living somewhere.

I would have said there was the risk of suicide too, but he seems to think it's all of a bit of a lark for that to happen...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Either way - if it had been a violent argument, or if he really did think it was an invader, I really struggle to accept that he was at all calm and collected.[/QUOTE]

Each to their own I suppose. I know how I feel about it but might change when evidence is submitted in the trial.

I have quite an open mind about it, between the 2 scenarios. The accident seems more unlikely because it needs a long string of unfortunate mistakes/events to line up properly, including things like strange advice about moving the body etc. His story is possible but it seems less likely. I doesn't mean it is impossible. I am prepared to move my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorbag wrote: »
    So the defence have said they would consider it culpable homicide. Is that the same as manslaughter? Or is it still murder.

What does anyone think about the fact she was wearing here shorts when shot. Probably not that relevant as when she heard OP shout she probably would get off the loo and pull her shorts up. No-one would calmly carry on peeing if OP shouted.

deleted, misunderstood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Absolutely. Whether by boat, private airplane, or whatever, there are many ways he could get out and do a Lord Lucan living somewhere.

I would have said there was the risk of suicide too, but he seems to think it's all of a bit of a lark for that to happen...

Suicide...I could believe that if he is convicted. I was reading about the prison he would no doubt be sent to if he was jailed, sounds horrendous. I'll try and find the article again. One thing I remember it saying was that obviously his prosthetic would be confiscated due to them being considered a lethal weapon by other prisoners which would mean him being in a wheelchair. That would, it said, make him vulnerable...plus his wealth and celebrity status.
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    If you live in James Bond world yes. Otherwise the thought of him sailing away to a welcoming country in a fishing boat fairly impractical. And then there's Somalian pirates.

I was merely pointing out there are other ways of escaping a country - one doesn't necessarily have to fly!!

You can pay anyone to do anything, if you have the money!
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorbag wrote: »

I've got an issue with her being dressed in a top and shorts. This was a four month old relationship and it was early hours of Valentines Day. OP says that RS had been doing yoga and then they went to bed and fell asleep.

I would expect at this stage of a loving relationship and in the "honeymoon stage" that they'd be all over each other. He says she got up to go to the toilet while he got a fan off the balcony. If she had woken up to go to the toliet and pulled shorts and top on he would have heard her doing this and even seen her do it. Also how would she have found any clothes in the dark? He says it was pitch black.

She was a very beautiful model. He's asking us to believe that she got into some interesting yoga positions and then he went to bed with her being dressed in shorts and top and went to bed and fell asleep. Come on Oscar pull the other one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LH1 wrote: »
    I've got an issue with her being dressed in a top and shorts. This was a four month old relationship and it was early hours of Valentines Day. OP says that RS had been doing yoga and then they went to bed and fell asleep.

I would expect at this stage of a loving relationship and in the "honeymoon stage" that they'd be all over each other. He says she got up to go to the toilet while he got a fan off the balcony. If she had woken up to go to the toliet and pulled shorts and top on he would have heard her doing this and even seen her do it. Also how would she have found any clothes in the dark? He says it was pitch black.

She was a very beautiful model. He's asking us to believe that she got into some interesting yoga positions and then he went to bed with her being dressed in shorts and top and went to bed and fell asleep. Come on Oscar pull the other one.

Totally agree. They were at the bunny stage of their relationship...unless Oscar saves himself for his sport?
  • Options
    AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people don't sleep naked, I never do, even if its roasting. Even if I had been naked earlier in the night I'd still put some shorts and tshirt on before going to sleep. I don't think it's strange she was "dressed".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A denial of bail would see the 26-year-old athlete held in Pretoria Central Prison, a sprawling complex on the edge of the South African capital that comes with a fearsome reputation after years of allegations of violence, rape, cramped conditions and a sinister-sounding inner sanctum known as "The Pot" that previously held death row inmates during the apartheid era."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/oscar-pistorius/9884500/Oscar-Pistorius-inside-Pretoria-Central-Prison.html
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member

I think its the term 'shorts' that could be misleading - I've got PJs that are vest & shorts that I'm sure are suitable Valentines Day attire ;) - it makes it sound like outdoor gear though doesn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do actually. It's a warm sultry country..where sleeping naked is probably the norm rather than the exception. I lived in a hot country and never wore anything to sleep, it was simply too hot.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I've lurked here so don't know if these points have been covered. Is it true that his Father and lawyer were there before the police were called? That seems a bit strange. Also, do the Prosecution claim he would be a flight risk because documents relating to overseas bank accounts were taken from the safe. How do they know that?

I do wonder if, just like the OJ case, the police become so star struck that common sense and police proceedure go out the window? Just thinking out loud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    Totally agree. They were at the bunny stage of their relationship...unless Oscar saves himself for his sport?

Agree but...OP doesn't mention getting dressed or does he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you want him to say? "We went to bed at 10 and banged away until 2". Salacious enough?

He is not asking you to believe anything of the sort.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    GinaH wrote: »
    I do actually. It's a warm sultry country..where sleeping naked is probably the norm rather than the exception. I lived in a hot country and never wore anything to sleep, it was simply too hot.

Ah this is going to be like the locking the toilet door!!! I've never slept naked - I always have something on however flimsy. Even in Morocco in August when it was 50deg + I had a vest and shorts on.
This discussion has been closed.