Options

Am i right?

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
hi everyone,

basically at work on 2 occasions by the same manager i seemed to be made to feel that i have to share certain information with him,

occasion 1 - last week i was working an evening shift one day, but earlier in the day i had 3 calls literally after each other from work but i didn't answer as i'd just got out the shower, however i rang back my work and they didn't know who rang me or what for, ( i assumed it was for me to come in early to help out) but then 2 mins later i got a call back from this manager saying he's been trying to ring me to do an overtime shift last weekend, i said i wasn't able to a full day shift but a morning shift as i as busy in the afternoon and he said he couldnt do that, he really needed someone all day , hich i couldnt do but he still persistet and told me let him no for definate when i came into do my shift, as soon as i got into work i was told he was waiting in the office for me to give him an answer, i went in and he was sat with all the other managers and team leaders, and i felt really intimidated as he asked me again and i said i couldnt do the full day like i told him on the phone and then it was the thing that annoyed me the most, WHY! can't you? what are you doing? and i told him why and everyone was looking at my like i was scum and laughing as i walked out.

occasion 2 - on thursday i had gone into work to find that yesterday ( a day that i had booked off on annual leave hadn't been put on the rota) , so i told the same manager and he said he didn't no why, so i showed him my holiday form as proof and he said it may have been cancelled so i said well i'll still be taking it as it showed it on my holiday form, signed by all correct departments and that if it had, i hadn't been given any notice, and then he came out with, well WHY have u booked it off? what are you doing thats so important?

now i'm only 21, and it's always confused me in all my previous jobs as to is it just a straight forward yes or no to any overtime offered or do i have to tell them why i can't do it, and why i'm booking annual holidays? because i'm under the impression that its none of their blood business, but i don't know if thats my personal opinion or not

Comments

• Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right - it is none of their business why you are having an (agreed) day off work or are unavailable for overtime. I have only ever been asked out of interest. It makes no difference if you are spending the day in bed watching cat videos or climbing Mount Everest.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managers like this in my opinion don't have a clue how to manage the place properly. I see it all the time in the place I work. I don't mind telling people what I'm doing on my holidays or days off, but if questioned why I can't/won't do overtime, then it's a simple because I don't want to and that's the only answer they will get and the more they dig the more chance I won't do the overtime next time.
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well im quite friendly with a couple of people their and they show a polite and genuine interest as above said, "are you doing anything nice? " or "got anything planned" and i'm happy to share ith people i get on with, as id ask the same,

the thing with my work place is you have a huge divide split across the store , you have the casual workers, were all doing the same job, and then you have the team leaders/managers who are all in one click together and think they are the be all and end all ad they really do look down their noses to us casual workers

but i do pick up the overtime when they usually ask, but their are times i can't , as sometimes i'm doing things on my days off or have booked a day/s off for something, but this manager isnt asking what i'm doing as an interest ist asking my why i can't work an overtime shift on my day off or why have i booked a day off thats so important i can't come to work, and thats why i find wrong, and innapropriate , i'm just trying to clarify that if i say no then thats where it should be left and they should ask another person
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is none of his business... Whatever you do on agreed days off is up to you... Plus overtime is voluntary and again you have the right to say no without justification... You have the right to a work life balance... You are young so please learn early that you work to live NOT live to work....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    You're really just talking about workplace attitudes which frequently suck. But they're not illegal. You just have to grow a thick skin and accept that work is often horrible - you're a human resource there to fulfil a function. If you get to be a manger one day you can try to create a more pleasant atmosphere.

I don't know how long you have worked at this place but this manager does seem to be putting the proverbial nose into things that are none of their business,
    I would suggedt you try to maintain a business like attitude whan talking the her/him, it is quite tempting to tell people like this to mind their own business but this can be seen as impertinant and can cause you serious problems if you want promotion in the future. Try not to rise to the bait, If the reason you want time off isn't really private just answer, (even if it seems odd to tell them) Some people can't mind their own, and its is easier to just say 'I'm going shopping with gran' than have all the hassle of avoiding an answer.