Options

Will Roy Hodgson be sacked if England don't get out their group?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
Forum Member
I think the FA will keep Roy whatever happens. There isn't really any obvious candidate who could take over.
Do you think he will still be in charge if England qualify for Euro 2016?

Comments

• Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think he'll still be in charge by Euro 2016 even if we get knocked out of the first round of this world cup. That game against Italy showed England have improved a lot under Hodgson so he definitely deserves at least one more tournament after this one.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many people would be chuffed just to get out of our group so no he won't be sacked if we narrowly fail to do so
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's got the job for another 5 years for me at least
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I think he might step down as he's had a couple of tournaments. Next England boss (whenever that is) - not sure, probably a foreigner with experience. I think Hiddink is the top coach around tactically but he's the next Netherlands coach I think. Who knows? Anything could happen in club football and then big names become available. I think Mourinho will coach England one day, and his own nation Portugal too, but maybe not for 5-10 years.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's not like there's anyone else around. Foreign managers aren't in fashion for England anymore so, as much as 'Arry's hack mates would push for him, we'd be looking at, what, Steve Bruce as the next best option?
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since expectations going into the tournament were low, I doubt Hodgson is at risk of the sack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    Yeah I think he'll still be in charge by Euro 2016 even if we get knocked out of the first round of this world cup. That game against Italy showed England have improved a lot under Hodgson so he definitely deserves at least one more tournament after this one.
    Are you sure England have improved? :confused:
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he might step down as he's had a couple of tournaments.

This is practically his first, he started the job a few weeks before Euro 2012.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless we lose our next two games, he won't be sacked. He may decide to call it a day, but that would be solely down to him. We've improved a lot in the couple of years since Hodgson came in and with a lot of our squad so young we should be doing even better by the time the Euros come around, so I don't see that as a likely option either.

If he did go I'd like us to take a bit of a gamble and give Gary Neville the job. Yes, he's got no managerial experience, but he's well respected amongst the players and has great tactical nous and intelligence, and with him at the helm I think he'd do a good job and keep us playing well. Didn't work out too badly in the past for Germany with Beckenbauer and Klinsmann.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    I think he should be sacked. The England team are all playing for top clubs in the best league in the world, and playing against the best foreign players in the world every week. There's no reason why they shouldn't be getting to at least the quarter finals in tournaments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of reasons, but with 'BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD, FIRE HIM' they're all beyond you.
  • Options
    sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have England really improved under Roy?

I say we have a better group of players who have proven themselves in the premier league. Yet England still under perform.

For me Roy Hodgson is not good enough to manage at the highest level. He almost destroyed Liverpool and all his success has been with inferior teams. Did ok at Inter Milan but Italian football is more his style.

A modern thinking attack based coach of the Pochettino, Rodgers type is what England need with this group of players. Hodgson out for me. Should never have been given it in the first place over Harry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been in the job two years. That's one successful qualifying campaign and a narrow loss to the 2006 World Champions.

Jesus Christ, people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    This is practically his first, he started the job a few weeks before Euro 2012.

Practically his first as you say but still actually his second finals however short his own involvement was in 2012. I don't think he'll be sacked anyway as I don't think the FA would have anyone in mind. The ones they might want would probably be happier with the day to day involvement of club football or are already settled elsewhere and if they opt to only look at English candidates (or managers with Premier League experience) then they are further limited. There's just not that many managers who I think would unite the fans behind them, know the players and domestic league well enough, be willing to put up with the media interest, and all the other hassles involved. I'm sure it's a great honour to manage your country but I think I'd swerve the job personally if I had other options and it was my choice to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter, that's not him having a couple of tournaments. He was clearly doing a form of caretaker role with his job starting with the qualifiers, which he was successful in.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's doing a really good job. It is starting to feel like they might be building something exciting for the first time in a very long time. Plus there's absolutely no one else who is a remotely plausible candidate.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    It would be utterly stupid if people started calling for his head any time soon.

The last couple of years has seen huge changes through the squad, he's only just started building something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't matter, that's not him having a couple of tournaments. He was clearly doing a form of caretaker role with his job starting with the qualifiers, which he was successful in.

It's a couple of tournament finals. As I said, I'm not calling for him to be sacked. I'm just being pragmatic. He's been to 2 finals and a lot of international managers move on after that so I think there's a good chance he will step down after this tournament.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate him as a manager. I wouldn't necessarily sack him on the back of failing to get out of the group stages because it's not as if we're overly blessed with talent.
    I'd sack him for playing players out of their normal positions.
    If we go out we go out, but at least do so by playing the best players in their best positions. If that means having to drop a "name" so be it, but like England managers before him he's guilty (to a lesser extent perhaps but guilty none the less) of trying to shoe horn certain players into a structure because of who they are and not on the basis of what they do day in day out for their clubs in that role.
    Rooney and Sterling play better with Rooney as the ten and the kid on the wing. Playing them out of position because we're a bit weak up the left simply makes the whole front unit less effective and prone to the counter attack when they drift into their more usual positions during the game and leave gaps. That was our biggest problem against Italy and we were found out down our left flank time and again.
    What compounds that problem down the left is the fact we've got a right back who aint all that great at defending so the defence drifts across to the right a bit as well to act as cover. It's why they should have taken Ashley Cole. He can handle the left flank and provide the odd run/cross without narrowing the pitch by having to cut inside all the time but without him and with Rooney on the left we lose our shape because Hodgson is too weak to stop Rooney from tracking back and out of position to cover the gaps we leave down that flank.
    You can't play premiership football in those temperatures. Counter attacking football is key but by being out of shape we are having to rely far to much at trying to break out on the right and we get crowded out by a back five who keep their shape. We're too easy to defend against - too predictable and too scared to start a game without certain players.
    In heat you need a solid back 5 and pure unadulterated speed to counter, We knew that all the way through the qualifiers knowing where the finals were being held and simply didn't pick a squad for those conditions because as per usual we insist on picking certain players based on how they fare in the premiership in a winter league in England.

Roy is just the latest in what is becoming a long line of gutless England managers, more afraid to lose than try and win. I'm just glad I'm not a footy fan. I'd rather be watching us try and turn the AllBlacks over in New Zealand any day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a couple of tournament finals.

Nope, he hasn't 'had a couple of tournaments'. He saw one through before starting the job proper, and he's had one game of the first one he qualified for. As I said, he's had the job little over two years which is about five minutes in international football, he's not some wizened veteran who's seen it all in England colours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think he will step down, he's on to too much of a good thing (financially).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So not professional pride or the belief he can do something in the job, it's because he's on a nice little earner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope, he hasn't 'had a couple of tournaments'. He saw one through before starting the job proper, and he's had one game of the first one he qualified for. As I said, he's had the job little over two years which is about five minutes in international football, he's not some wizened veteran who's seen it all in England colours.

Two years in international football is two years, the same as it is everywhere else, I think you'll find. I'm quite aware of how long he's been in the job.

I'll take my own interpretation of my original statement thanks seeing as I was the one who wrote it. He's had a couple of tournament finals now so I think he might step down after this one as international managers often go after a couple of finals. I don't think he'll be sacked as there are no other decent options. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we play like the usual bunch of stiffs, yes, if we play well but go out, I'd say no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two years in international football is two years, the same as it is everywhere else, I think you'll find.

It's not. In international football in Europe, two years gets you one attempt at a competition and less than 20 competitive games. In half that time in club football you get at least two competitions, a LOT more time with your team and a lot more games under your belt.

The only way Hodgson being fired should even be a consideration at this point is if he'd have failed to qualify for the tournament. This is the first campaign he's oversaw the whole way through.