Do you buy snacks and drinks from the cinema?

storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Crazy amount of money they cost, do you buy them or smuggle your own in? It's only fair if they don't have what you want in variety surely?

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    No need to 'smuggle' them in. Our local Vue cinema seems happy to let people in with their own snacks.

It's next to an ASDA so you see many with ASDA carrier bags in the queues.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I might get a couple of scoops of chunky monkey....
  • storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    No need to 'smuggle' them in. Our local Vue cinema seems happy to let people in with their own snacks.

We have Cineworld here locally so often you feel obligated to purchase snacks from the foyer because they are in your face and sometimes guilt goes through you. Plus I don't think they'd allow snacks from home or the local shop unlike Vue.
  • Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I neither eat nor drink at the Cinema. Nothing worse that somebody sat close to you munching or slurping away whilst you are trying to enjoy a film. Food should be banned in Cinemas.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to get a giant bucket of extra crunchy pork scratchings, a catering tub of individually wrapped boiled sweets and a four pint tub of superburp cola with a wide slurpy straw. If anyone in the cinema doesn't hear me enjoying myself it's not for want of trying. Mind you, I spend most of the film on the phone anyway.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take my own. Hip flask + Haribo and I'm sorted.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I have zero patience with those who do and complain about the cost. You're going to see a film, not eat a four course meal.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I neither eat nor drink at the Cinema. Nothing worse that somebody sat close to you munching or slurping away whilst you are trying to enjoy a film. Food should be banned in Cinemas.
    No, and I have zero patience with those who do and complain about the cost. You're going to see a film, not eat a four course meal.

It's all fun fun fun with you two :p
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member

I agree :)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the cheap and cheerful Reel, I always buy their snacks and drinks. I want them to survive.

In the bloated, expensive Vue, I discretely take my own. They charge too much for everything.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't been to the cinema for a while (Skyfall was the last time I went). I never used to buy food from the cinema. I sometimes used to buy a couple of pasties and a pint of milk and take them in, but they'd usually be guzzled before the film had even started.
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,965
    Forum Member
    We have Cineworld here locally so often you feel obligated to purchase snacks from the foyer because they are in your face and sometimes guilt goes through you. Plus I don't think they'd allow snacks from home or the local shop unlike Vue.

Doesn't seem to be problem taking your own snacks into my local Cineworld....unfortunately. I've even smelt hot food in their on a couple of occasions:o
  • Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's far too expensive which is why I try to eat before going to the cinema to kill my appetite. But yes, my local cinema do nice hot dogs and popcorn.
  • Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Exactly the same in doncaster - pointless stopping people with all their Asda bags. They'd put them down and still not buy anything
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I always buy a medium lemonade and ice cream. It's tradition :D

But I never moan about the cost.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not been stopped from taking my own snacks in the local vue cinema near me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    It's all fun fun fun with you two :p

If someone doesn't go to the cinema all that often and feels they need food as part of the "experience" then fair enough, have at it.

As I said, I go to the cinema to watch a film. If I want to eat out, i'll go to a cafe.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I do. It is expensive but the cinema is such a rare treat it's nice to go all out, sometimes I treat myself to the VIP seats as well.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone doesn't go to the cinema all that often and feels they need food as part of the "experience" then fair enough, have at it.

As I said, I go to the cinema to watch a film. If I want to eat out, i'll go to a cafe.

Eat out? I don't call some popcorn and pop and perhaps some starburst 'eating out' exactly.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've ever bought any snacks/drinks from the cinema. It's criminally expensive around here, and we have no independent cinemas for miles.

I usually take a chocolate bar in my handbag and a small bottle of water/juice.

A guy once tried to take a smelly pizza into one of the screens and when he wasn't allowed in, he kept having a go at staff. What did he expect? The plonker.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you did that, the cinema would close. 75% of the profits they make come from food and drink.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

No, it annoys me when people make a lot of noise at the cinema. I try to eat quietly!
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually take in cheeseburgers, onion rings, chips & cola from the Burger King opposite the Cinema & also nip over to Asda beforehand to get some popcorn(salted), choc ices, peanuts, m&m's, dorito's (and a jar of salsa dip), pick & mix sweets, frijji milkshakes, minstrels, revels & 6 tins of Strongbow.
    Never been searched/stopped once (Showcase Cinemas)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy food in the foyer , the drinks are always fizzy and cold. The hot dogs are good , the popcorn is fresh and the nachos are amazing..

I'm not really bothered about money being honest
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am paying £16 for an IMAX seat, then I bring my own drink in, not bothered about munchies.