What do we think of Abi Sampa?

droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was really impressed by her fusion on Stop Crying ..... But I've checked out the few vids there are of her on Youtube and they're a bit samey, and not much evidence of fusion vocals .. albeit that she is clearly talented and can play the veena.

So I'm wanting her to be good, but suspect I'll be disappointed. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really couldn't decide, there were moments I thought she was great and other moments I thought were awful. Hopefully Danny can get a vocal coach in to make sure there are more of the great moments than the not so great moments.
  • supersnakesupersnake Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love her! really think she could and (if given the right vocal attention) should go very far, i would definitely buy her music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Incredible. She is easily my favourite!!!
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've seen an endless number of auditions on an endless number of music reality shows. So it's always nice when something or someone slightly different comes along.

Western music with an ethnic twist can produce such a stunningly beautiful sound. The artist Ofra Haza managed to breakthrough into the European & American markets with this style of music in the 80s & 90s - so it can appeal to the mainstream.

Abi has potential. I just hope that she and Danny manage to fuse the Eastern & Western flavours without it feeling forced and can refine Abi's vocals.

But yes, I'm interested.
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »
    Incredible. She is easily my favourite!!!

Mine too. Can't wait to see how she 'progresses', and what she is going to be singing. I was very intrigued by her:)
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her straight away , if you look at the vt Will was the only one of the four who didn't seem to get what a talent she was
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should get together with the Filipino guy and do a double act.Beauty and the Beast!

Seriously,I didn't think she had that strong of a voice.But it could have been nerves,as all of the judges say all of the time.:yawn: I don't know how far she can take the Bollywood thing before it becomes tiresome,but I certainly look forward to seeing what she can do in the next few weeks.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was the winner as soon as i heard her. Fantastic singer, and very beautiful young woman.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites. :)
  • muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Like pulling teeth? :p
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her performance was really dull and I didn't think her voice was anything special, I didn't think she deserved to have anyone turn round for her. I feel so out of sync with this forum in regards to last nights show :p
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    yes ...surprisingly good and versatile ... shades of emeli, leona and classic asian deep vibrato .... a welcome new addition to the reality singing format
  • petra12petra12 Posts: 1,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites. :)
    Mine to with Karl
    Hope they both do well
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,644
    Forum Member
    I really liked her. Lovely voice and a lot of potential. Something a little different, without being too weird and wacky. Nice calm, dignified manner too. Granted I've already forgotten most of the acts that came before, but I think she is my favourite - certainly favourite female contestant, and I think favourite overall.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Liked her, very different, and the Asian Film and Music industry is booming right now, good timing.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked the bit she did in the middle, but weak finish. As others have mentioned, Ofra Haza, Natascha Atlas, Amina Anabi, even Shakira have set high fusion benchmark and tough to follow.
  • yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    Just catching up on saturdays show.....I thought she was fantastic, a quite stunning and unique performance imo.
  • CinnamonBrickCinnamonBrick Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful song, I like how she didn't really overdo the singing bit during the start and built it up a bit. I'm very intrigued, as someone mentioned earlier, it's very different and it's good. It's better than the now boring "unexpected mash up that's totally not shocking" thing that's on trend just now. Or the take a current song and turn it into an angsty ballad trend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Beautiful song, I like how she didn't really overdo the singing bit during the start and built it up a bit. I'm very intrigued, as someone mentioned earlier, it's very different and it's good. It's better than the now boring "unexpected mash up that's totally not shocking" thing that's on trend just now. Or the take a current song and turn it into an angsty ballad trend.
    I agree. I too thought it was an unusual mix but I really liked her performance and beautiful clear voice.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've rewatched her a couple of times, and she's really grown on me. I agree with Jessie about her breathing, but hopefully vocal coaches can help with that. Her voice is quite haunting :)
  • Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's in my top 5 along with Leanne Jarvis, Danny Country, Sarah Cassidy and Leah McFall