Children's cartoons are full of murder and mayhem

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
The British Medical Journal has found cartoon films aimed at young children are rife with death & destruction.

They examined a number of films released between 1937 and 2013.
Grisly deaths in cartoons were common, with shootings in Bambi, Peter Pan, and Pocahontas, stabbings in Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid, and animal attacks in A Bug’s Life, The Croods, How To Train Your Dragon, Finding Nemo, and Tarzan.

Notable early screen deaths included Nemo’s mother being eaten by a barracuda just four minutes and three seconds into Finding Nemo, and Tarzan’s parents being killed by a leopard four minutes and eight seconds into Tarzan.

After taking account of total running time, children’s main cartoon characters were two and a half times as likely to die as their counterparts in films for adults, and almost three times as likely to be murdered.

So I suppose these will be another item that goes on the "think of the children" list.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/kids-cartoons-are-hotbeds-of-murder-and-mayhem-study-1.2150915

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either this prints half a research project or I can't see the point. Of course children's films are violent - Tom and Jerry was nothing BUT violence - but I don't see any research into the actual impact on children. I have never seen an outbreak of children hitting people on the head with frying pans, for example, in the hope of seeing stars circling round their heads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Meh, kids like violence and stuff
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Didn't The Simpsons cover this 24 years ago?
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either this prints half a research project or I can't see the point. Of course children's films are violent - Tom and Jerry was nothing BUT violence - but I don't see any research into the actual impact on children. I have never seen an outbreak of children hitting people on the head with frying pans, for example, in the hope of seeing stars circling round their heads.
    I'd be more concerned about the impact this would have on cats, mice, coyotes even ;)

Think of the animals :cry::p
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of wrapping up our little darlings in cotton wool, shouldn't we be questioning the culture that isolates them from real life so effectively that they enter adulthood with unrealistic expectations?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting removing 18 certificates or advocating the out and out violence in film and TV. It's simply a recognition that death is a part of life, and so are skinned knees and getting dirty when playing out.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I agree with Bambi I still can't watch that.

But as a kid I did watch and have pretty much every good horror film out.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few days back I had my 7month old grandaughter in my arms, waiting to go to sleep as we (I) watched telly.
    I channel hopped and found Tom and Jerry.
    In the space of a few minutes Jerry managed to electrocute Tom, blow him up with dynamite and then suck him into a hoover.
    At various stages Tom was a skeleton or some shambolic resemblance to a cat.
    I loved it. :D
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    And very enjoyable (and funny) it was too. None of the cartoons today can hold a candle to a bit of classic T and J..... or Bugs Bunny for that matter! :D
    Forum Member
    I think stuff like Tom and Jerry are different

No matter what happens to them a few seconds later they are ok and back to running around fighting so it's funny

In mostly Disney cartoons death is very serious and done is a serious way and once they are dead that's it they are dead and they are often killed in front of their children.

BTW I'm not saying ban them I love the Disney films but I do see it as different the comic deaths in other cartoons
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what childs eyes will make of it....probably will take them a week to recover from the shock :D , kids seeing racist / sexist / cross gender & cross dressing / drinking/ smoking / use of firearms and weaponry etc, good wholesome family entertainment i say
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cartoons/animated films that have deaths in them will be absolutely fine.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I think we need to be wary of an incoming stream of opinion that kids should be shielded from all violence and death in the media they consume. I believe some media showing violence and death are good for them - they need to be prepared for the real world and understanding that these things happen is important.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think stuff like Tom and Jerry are different

No matter what happens to them a few seconds later they are ok and back to running around fighting so it's funny

In mostly Disney cartoons death is very serious and done is a serious way and once they are dead that's it they are dead and they are often killed in front of their children.

BTW I'm not saying ban them I love the Disney films but I do see it as different the comic deaths in other cartoons

Yeah, Disney made some good animated films, and they still do. The other well-known animation film studios make some good films as well.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be pointed out that up until roughly the 1960s animated media in the USA was produced for a general audience. The people who went to the cinema and got a cartoon along with the news reel and featurette. In Disney's case the cartoon was the feature film but it was still intended for an audience of adults as well as children.

It wasn't until the jump to television that cartoons were marketed strictly to kids and even then it took a decade or so before various groups started bleating loudly enough about wholesome entertainment before the content became truly dumbed down and modified. It was a sad state of affairs that lasted until the late '80s/early 90s when animation went through something of another sea change and the general audience began being targeted again.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have the Daily Mail taken over the BMJ?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't the BMJ got better things to do with their time?

Has anyone actually come up with any evidence to suggest children watching the likes of Tom & Jerry will become the psychopaths of tomorrow?
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The British Medical Journal has found cartoon films aimed at young children are rife with death & destruction.

They examined a number of films released between 1937 and 2013.
    Grisly deaths in cartoons were common, with shootings in Bambi, Peter Pan, and Pocahontas, stabbings in Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid, and animal attacks in A Bug’s Life, The Croods, How To Train Your Dragon, Finding Nemo, and Tarzan.

Notable early screen deaths included Nemo’s mother being eaten by a barracuda just four minutes and three seconds into Finding Nemo, and Tarzan’s parents being killed by a leopard four minutes and eight seconds into Tarzan.

After taking account of total running time, children’s main cartoon characters were two and a half times as likely to die as their counterparts in films for adults, and almost three times as likely to be murdered.

So I suppose these will be another item that goes on the "think of the children" list.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/kids-cartoons-are-hotbeds-of-murder-and-mayhem-study-1.2150915

So your purpose in starting this thread is . . ?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your purpose in starting this thread is . . ?

Do I need a purpose or was I suppose to message you first and get permission to start it?

I didn't realise there had to be a purpose.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone should explain the origin of fairy tales to these people. It is nothing like the sanitised versions we have today, which I believe do more harm than good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I need a purpose or was I suppose to message you first and get permission to start it?

I didn't realise there had to be a purpose.

What a strange and slightly defensive response.

Well if there's no purpose whatsoever then why bother?

PS it would be good if you sought my permission beforehand - bear this in mind for future possible threads.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange and slightly defensive response.

Well if there's no purpose whatsoever then why bother?

PS it would be good if you sought my permission beforehand - bear this in mind for future possible threads.

Strange to ask someone why they post a thread, it's a discussion thread and it's a topic to discuss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone should explain the origin of fairy tales to these people. It is nothing like the sanitised versions we have today, which I believe do more harm than good.

So 'sanitised' versions of fairy tales do more harm than good . . how do you work that out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange to ask someone why they post a thread, it's a discussion thread and it's a topic to discuss.

Yes . . but be honest, the last bit of the opener is a bit of a giveaway isn't it?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 'sanitised' versions of fairy tales do more harm than good . . how do you work that out?

The original purpose of fairy tales in their original form was to pass along cautionary tales of the dangers in life. Fairy tales, as they are now, don't do that. They have been sanitised so they don't offend middle class sensibilities and morality.
    Forum Member
    It does seem the OP looks around for stories like this just to have something to moan about and go off on a rant about things getting banned even if the story never once mentions banning it.