Building a PC

Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there

I'm looking to get a new PC for my grandmother and was wondering if I'm better off buying one or building one myself.
I've never built a pc before but have experience in replacing parts/upgrading, so am unsure of how difficult if would be.

She'll mainly be using it for general web browsing, Skype etc

Any advice would be most welcome :)

Comments

• RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will take a lot of time to do the research on what bits to buy and where, assemble and configure the machine..

Unless your Grandmother is technically literate, it will likely be up to you to sort out problems that she will have over the life of the PC.
    You may be unsure whether the fact that it is a self-build is causing a particular problem.
    ie some hardware or software clashes.

A pre-built machine will have Warranty, possibly some telephone support, a nice Recovery Partition in case of emergency and a manufacturer's website with manuals and drivers all in one place.
    Also, any problems can be Googled since other users will have encountered them.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy her a chromebook, less maintenance than a windows machine
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Buy her a chromebook, less maintenance than a windows machine

Skype do not work on chromebooks.

As for the OP question, maybe better to get some sort of cheaper all in one machine than muck around with building one. i do not normally say that, but all in ones are fine for what you want.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Have you also considered possibly getting a tablet or ipad for her to use?
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies!

I don't think a tablet is for her seeing as she likes a larger screen.

I think i'll just buy one to save the hassle. This one from PC World looks alright

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/advent-dt4103-barebones-desktop-pc-21850439-pdt.html#cat-0
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies!

I don't think a tablet is for her seeing as she likes a larger screen.

I think i'll just buy one to save the hassle. This one from PC World looks alright

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/advent-dt4103-barebones-desktop-pc-21850439-pdt.html#cat-0

No operating system on that one.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »

Beat me to it. Ebuyer have machines with Windows 8 under £200.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got a Windows 7 disk, so it's just a matter of putting it in and booting from CD right?

I'll have a look on eBuyer too
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

They're making Skype run in a browser. It will be the norm soon.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I've got a Windows 7 disk, so it's just a matter of putting it in and booting from CD right?

I'll have a look on eBuyer too

You'll need a valid Windows 7 code and any drivers which aren't installed automatically. Check the manufacturer's website for availability of W7 Drivers.

Ebuyer also have Windows 7 desktops, if you'd prefer to support that instead of Windows 8.

If you've never done this kind of thing for a newbie relative before, you can look forward to unending phonecalls over every little thing. So whatever system you get, ensure you have something like TeamViewer installed.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for the OP question, maybe better to get some sort of cheaper all in one machine than muck around with building one. i do not normally say that, but all in ones are fine for what you want.

Skype for web: http://blogs.skype.com/2014/11/14/please-welcome-skype-for-web-beta/

Google Hangouts is an alternative that is web-based.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll need a valid Windows 7 code and any drivers which aren't installed automatically. Check the manufacturer's website for availability of W7 Drivers.

Ebuyer also have Windows 7 desktops, if you'd prefer to support that instead of Windows 8.

If you've never done this kind of thing for a newbie relative before, you can look forward to unending phonecalls over every little thing. So whatever system you get, ensure you have something like TeamViewer installed.

Thanks for the advice I'll have a look. That's a good point about TeamViewer didn't think about that at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    They're making Skype run in a browser. It will be the norm soon.

I bet it will only work in Internet Exploder all this inside browser stuff is just a waste of time and lack features.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »

Fair enough ti does work on other browsers, still no point, may as well get a proper computer with a proper OS. Sticking everything in browsers is not ideal.

Google Hangouts is an alternative that is web-based.

No good if the other people do not use hangouts.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it will only work in Internet Exploder all this inside browser stuff is just a waste of time and lack features.

It will run on Chrome and Firefox etc. apparently. Not sure about the feature set though you will be able to do text, audio and video chats via the browser. Anyway it's still in beta at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    It will run on Chrome and Firefox etc. apparently. Not sure about the feature set though you will be able to do text, audio and video chats via the browser. Anyway it's still in beta at the moment.

I noticed it runs in other browsers from the link that TheBigM posted.

I still prefer separate software for it, but some people may not I suppose. I just think it is easier being separate.