Options

Should the Queen abdicate?

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
There's some rumours about the Queen abdicating in her Christmas speech after a flurry of bets at the bookies.

Do you think she should? :confused:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-abdicate-christmas-day-bookies-4827819

Do you think the Queen should abdicate? 160 votes

No
76% 122 votes
Yes
23% 38 votes

Comments

• Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see no good reason for her to. I can't see her breaking her coronation oath. If she gets too infirm to carry out any function, her heir can do it for her.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, right this second, and then have the monarchy abolished.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Yes, insofar as I think they should all abdicate ;)
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this outdated institution should have ended years ago. The Queen won't abdicate, though.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't give a shite either way. Where is that option on the poll?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    There's some rumours about the Queen abdicating in her Christmas speech after a flurry of bets at the bookies.

Do you think she should? :confused:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-abdicate-christmas-day-bookies-4827819

I would be extremely surprised if she makes any sort of announcement in her Christmas speech, much less one like this.

The speech is pre-recorded and played out at 3pm local time across the Commonwealth. That would mean someone in Australia would get to hear about it long before anyone here in the UK. Somehow I can't see that happening.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/palace-denies-queens-abdication-rumours-after-coral-bookmaker-suspends-betting-on-her-standing-down-in-christmas-speech-9931306.html
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she wants.
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I really don't believe she ever would anyway.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, as that means the day Charles succeeds comes closer. And that is a day I dread.

When Liz pops off, it should be scrapped. I think Charles will do we Republicans' job for us.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I don't think she "should" do anything, because I can't 'honestly imagine why it would matter either way. Maybe back in the medieval era when the monarchy actually had a governing role this would be important. In this day and age where the monarchy is nothing but a PR campaign and a tourist attraction it really doesn't matter.

But if I had to have an opinion on it, I would say she should feel able to retire if she wants to as she is a very old woman, but only if that is her wish.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted yes by mistake! :(

It's no from me, unless she feels she can't do it anymore and then, of course, she should.

She is a good queen.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will I am sure carry on as long as she feels able I hate to think she will carry on longer than she is comfortable with though, and I hope we see the younger royals picking up a lot of her work and trips as she shouldn't be expected to carry on the work load she has been doing IMO
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not unless the monarchy was abolished because her abdication would mean Charles would be King.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad to see the vast majority have voted 'no', I was quite shocked when I read the article about betting on the Queen abdicating being suspended. I hope she never abdicates, she's a national treasure.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »

I agree I think we should just get rid of the lot of them.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Juan Carlos:

The King of Spain told courtiers he decided to abdicate because he did not want his son to ‘wither’ and ‘grow old waiting for the throne like Prince Charles’, it was claimed yesterday.

King Juan Carlos last week announced that he would hand over to his 46-year-old heir, Crown Prince Felipe.

It is sad that the Queen it seems feels she is compelled to be bound by an ill judged public remark she made over 60 years ago when she was a young woman in her twenties. I imagine in private she regrets making it.

The last decades have been utterly unfair on Charles, a whole life spent groomed for a role be has not been allowed to fulfil.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »

And replaced with what.? President Cameron or Milliband, or even President Blair.:o:o
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it is a job for life. If she becomes unable to fulfil her duties these will be taken on by others, but she will be Queen for the rest of her life.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the days of us bowing and scraping and pretending one person (or a whole family of them) are any more important than any other person should be behind us by now, no?

Cheers Liz and all that but I think this monarchy thing is a bit old hat now.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    And replaced with what.? President Cameron or Milliband, or even President Blair.:o:o

Personally, I'm all for self-governence. But any democratic replacement would be a great start.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    No, it is a job for life. If she becomes unable to fulfil her duties these will be taken on by others, but she will be Queen for the rest of her life.
    Should the same hold true if there were an utterly crap monarch on the throne?
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I think we should keep the royal family. But I don't think the public should pay for them anymore.

Surely if they have millions in the bank, you don't need to earn money anymore because you can easily live of the interest.

If they don't have millions in the bank, they should just bite the bullet and give them £6million, then they can pay for themselves for the rest of their reign.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Couldn't give a shite either way. Where is that option on the poll?

It's the red cross at the top right.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I think we should keep the royal family. But I don't think the public should pay for them anymore.

Surely if they have millions in the bank, you don't need to earn money anymore because you can easily live of the interest.

If they don't have millions in the bank, they should just bite the bullet and give them £6million, then they can pay for themselves for the rest of their reign.

Don't we only pay them a fraction of the value of the land that they own and have donated to us (or something) though?