Will there be a UK X Factor Left for Simon Cowell to Come Back To

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I think you're partly right but there have always been dull people who can sing quite well. It's the showstoppers, novelty acts and people with personality that are lacking.

no doubt the level of talent is the biggest issue

the question we are probably debating is whether poor singers who are supposedly interesting are more likely to keep the show going or good singers who are seen as "boring"
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

the question we are probably debating is whether poor singers who are supposedly interesting are more likely to keep the show going or good singers who are seen as "boring"
    Yes - it's definitely about the balance and the producers don't seem to have a clue about what will entertain.

It could also just be that the show has had its day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hilarious that people genuinely think that people aren't watching xfactor because Melanie McCabe was kicked off. She was so dull i genuinely don't believe that anybody not in this forum has noticed that she is no longer part of the show.

People aren't watching because it doesn't appeal to a wide enough audience. The show itself is too manipulated and most people don't like to feel manipulated when watching a tv show. TV viewers are more savvy than they once were, and now you can't win a viewer over with a sob story like you could ten years ago. Plus simon cowell not even bothering to show up to his own tv show doesn't look great does it? He's abandoned it, why the hell should anyone else be expected to watch?!
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings have been down since 2010. What specific event in series 7 actually turned people off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    The ratings have been down since 2010. What specific event in series 7 actually turned people off?
    Cheryl Cole fatigue?
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    jjbir wrote: »
    In recent years the show has become souless, open auditions are a farce since the majority finalists are invariably picked in advance by scouting. Deals are done with their management companies to come on the show. So anyone that has genuine unknown talent that auditions are cast aside in favour of the predetermined plan. The show is opaque and manipulated, its just a turn off now.

I agree.

X factor has been meddling with the show for far too long and think we don't know what they are doing...big mistake. Now it has come back to bite them on the bum.

Then there are the comic idiots that cannot sing put into the live finals at the expense of good singers.

Then the panel this year are mainly old, boring and, in the case of Sharon, a downright disgraced bullying Louis to pick Shelley. Also, she is a foul-mouthed plastic woman.

The weekly song themes were geared to keep certain singers from showing us they really could not sing and were not all-rounders. And the amount of backing singers and all the dancers and special effects were also geared to hide the truth re poor singers.

And finally, Simon rushed off to America to do USA X Factor, the show that would knock the spots of the other reality shows...IT DID NOT. He left the UK X Factor to fend for itself, and now the ratings are really awful he is looking round for someone to blame. He took his finger off the UK X Factor pulse, so what does he expect.

ITV are also to blame as they have taken no notice of all the viewers complaints/suggestions over the last few years....FOOLS.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »

I don't believe it was anything specifically that happened in S7 that put people off, although I guess you argue that Katie's survival over acts like Aiden and TreyC, and Gamu's early departure, perhaps clued people into how manipulated the show actually was (not that it hadn't always been, but that was the series that really showed how many tactics could be used to keep in the more controversial acts.)

For me, though, it's much simpler: the chemistry of the judges hasn't been right since the disbanding of Simon, Cheryl, Dannii and Louis, and the quality of the contestants just hasn't been good enough. I don't necessarily mean quality as in 'good', I mean it in the sense of entertainment that the S7 contestants had. When you have a joke act as brilliant as Wagner, a controversial act as infuriating as Katie, genuinely talented slightly older acts in Matt and Rebecca, and young acts with so much potential like 1D, Cher and Aiden, honestly, where do you go from there? S8 did initially have strong ratings but it quickly became apparent that there was no real chemistry within the cast of judges and contestants. Add to that the fact that so many of the contestants now are ones we've already seen before, either reapplying for the XF or trying to get through on other reality TV shows, and it all just feels stale and unexciting.

The best thing the show can do is take a 2 or 3 year hiatus and let the talent pool replenish itself a bit. Get Simon, Cheryl and Dannii back (none of them are outside the realms of possibility for a return) and relaunch with some killer auditions. They've been trying to draw up water from a dry well for too long now, and the audience aren't buying it.
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    The big mistake the X Factor this year is , They found a beautiful talented girl next door ( Melanie ) that the public could identify with , then they conned the public into thinking her dreams were finally going to come true , Then they thought wouldn't funny/shocking if we stomped all over those dreams just as viewers thought her dreams were about to be realized . What they didn't understand is the Public needed to see those dreams come true not for Melanie's sake but because it gives them hope for success in their own lives . Viewers are rejecting this shock tv with its downbeat message of give up on your dreams they will never come true ,for the more upbeat hopeful Strictly

LMAO the decline has nothing what so ever to do with an ok Melanie not being on the show. The decline is simply Its an Old/Tired show
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the point is that Melanie not being in the show has nothing to do with why people can't be arsed with the show any more. It's because the show is no fun.
    XF problems are ignoring the public by sending home the viewer favourites, forcing unlikeable weak singers on viewing public , with arrogant attitude that the public will have to like them because XF producers like their attention seeking way . XF producers think the can lead the public by the nose
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

Fatigue is the simple answer IMO its a tired/old show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XF problems are ignoring the public by sending home the viewer favourites,
    There's no evidence at all that she was a "viewer favourite". Even if she had a decent fanbase her presence (or lack thereof) is nothing to do with the show's decline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XF problems are ignoring the public by sending home the viewer favourites, forcing unlikeable weak singers on viewing public , with arrogant attitude that the public will have to like them because XF producers like their attention seeking way . XF producers think the can lead the public by the nose

as above said where is the evidence she was a Viewer Favourite as i for 1 dont get the love for her at all. She may have a decent fanbase on here/outside of here but to viewer favourite is a bit of a stretch.

Also you say they ignore the public by sending home the viewer favouries untill get to the Lives when public vote its impossible to no who we as viewers will like
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm right it's still getting higher viewers than XFUS, considering the population of each country XFUK isn't doing badly at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no evidence at all that she was a "viewer favourite". Even if she had a decent fanbase her presence (or lack thereof) is nothing to do with the show's decline.
    Yes there is plenty of evidence that she is a viewer favourite The fact that Melanie's Appreciation thread on DS has over 74,000 views and none of the Appreciation threads of any of the other singers still in XF this year has more than a couple of thousand views each. The fact that Melanie has gained 10,000 twitter followers since she left the show and is now at 54,000 followers when she is not on the telly anymore and has no XF publicity machine behind her keeping her name in the public's mind , It quite amazing that her fan base continues to grow . Not to mention she was bookies favourite to win for 3 weeks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is plenty of evidence that she is a viewer favourite The fact that Melanie's Appreciation thread on DS has over 74,000 views and none of the Appreciation threads of any of the other singers still in XF this year has more than a couple of thousand views each. The fact that Melanie has gained 10,000 twitter followers since she left the show and is now at 54,000 followers when she is not on the telly anymore and has no XF publicity machine behind her keeping her name in the public's mind , It quite amazing that her fan base continues to grow . Not to mention she was bookies favourite to win for 3 weeks
    None of this convinces remotely in relation to the show doing badly. These numbers are tiny in comparison to the tv audience. The majority of the time even the winners of the show don't do brilliantly outside of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tiny Numbers in consideration to the amount of people that watch the show. All this show's is she has a decent fanbase not that she was a Viewers Favourite
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    I think the big mistake for X Factor this year is:

1. There is no talent on it.
    2. It fails as entertainment - in the same way that comedy shows that outstay their welcome do.
    3. It has zero atmosphere.
    4. The judges have nothing new to say.
    5. The presenters have nothing new to say.
    6. Too many of the 'Contestants' are reruns from previous years that are unlikely to make it.
    7. The same 'Vote For Me' sob stories appear year after year.

Absolutely!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve2013 wrote: »
    Tiny Numbers in consideration to the amount of people that watch the show. All this show's is she has a decent fanbase not that she was a Viewers Favourite
    what about four and half million views for her main audition videos on youtube for a singer who didn't even get to the live shows . Also the fact that her appreciation thread has been viewed 74,000 times and the other singer appreciation threads have only been viewed a couple thousand times, Shows the massive gap their was between the public's interest in Melanie and the others . Also there was the Mirror poll where she double the number votes that any of the other girls had for their judges houses songs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about four and half million views for her main audition videos on youtube for a singer who didn't even get to the live shows . Also the fact that her appreciation thread has been viewed 74,000 times and the other singer appreciation threads have only been viewed a couple thousand times, Shows the massive gap their was between the public's interest in Melanie and the others . Also there was the Mirror poll where she double the number votes that any of the other girls had for their judges houses songs

Dosen't necessarily translate into record sales or popularity as an artist or performer. To me she was an ok singer who was bland as a personality - and there are plenty of those about.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brouhaha around Gamu did not put a dent on the ratings. What makes people think that Melanie McCabe would have a bigger impact?
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big mistake the X Factor this year is , They found a beautiful talented girl next door ( Melanie ) that the public could identify with , then they conned the public into thinking her dreams were finally going to come true , Then they thought wouldn't funny/shocking if we stomped all over those dreams just as viewers thought her dreams were about to be realized . What they didn't understand is the Public needed to see those dreams come true not for Melanie's sake but because it gives them hope for success in their own lives . Viewers are rejecting this shock tv with its downbeat message of give up on your dreams they will never come true ,for the more upbeat hopeful Strictly

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure Melanie McCabe is not the reason for the show's decline, most people have forgotten about her by now. I think the decline is just due to the decline getting old and most people seeing the talent as being pretty sub par, also because of the ridiculous additions of things like the flash vote. It's still doing well though.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    I think the big mistake for X Factor this year is:

1. There is no talent on it.
    2. It fails as entertainment - in the same way that comedy shows that outstay their welcome do.
    3. It has zero atmosphere.
    4. The judges have nothing new to say.
    5. The presenters have nothing new to say.
    6. Too many of the 'Contestants' are reruns from previous years that are unlikely to make it.
    7. The same 'Vote For Me' sob stories appear year after year.

But n doubt it will continue to run for years to come as it is probably comparatively cheap to produce has probably has a low financial breakeven point.

I agree with points 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7
    Point 5 I partly agree but I think Dermot is a good presenter. Point1 I disagree as I do think they are some talent in the line up but seems like it's falling short somewhere
    Plus No Cowell!!
    And remove the ever-annoying Sinitta
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple of articles online reviewing the show which basically say they don't care about any of the contestants - I think this is the main problem.

Also the show is so negative. Watching judges houses this year was so depressing - constantly the contestants were practically begging to be put through because winning the show is the only thing that matters to them - it's not good viewing. SCD and Bake Off are upbeat programmes - XF just isn't. I watch SCD then switch over to XF, and XF is such a downer.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps move the show to a weekday or just have the while show on Sunday Night with the results, might get more viewers since a lot like going out on Saturday night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Perhaps move the show to a weekday or just have the while show on Sunday Night with the results, might get more viewers since a lot like going out on Saturday night
    Not so - the Saturday night audience is still potentially massive. Look at SCD.