Will there be a UK X Factor Left for Simon Cowell to Come Back To

Comments

• Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    According to todays stories theyre thinking of axing the flashvote.

The Flashvote hasn't lasted very long then:D
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The intro music of it makes me cringe to start with. :p
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the return of Big Band is the right time to remove the Flash Vote, for some reason.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    It's still getting millions and millions of viewers. Yes there will be a show for Simon to come back to.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon only has himself to blame for the shows troubles. He buggered off to America and quite arrogantly assumed people would stick with it regardless, they haven't.

Personally I find there is always an undercurrent of nastiness on the X Factor, the judges are often spiteful for thee sake of it. They demean and often bully contestants, calling them "cruise ship singers" like that's something to be ashamed of when it's a perfectly respectable way to earn a living.

The show also became obsessed with being young and urban, which alienated a half of the audience. These are the people who are most likely to be in on Saturday night watching television. Why are people going to continue to watch a programe that insinuates anyone over the age of 25 is past it and ancient?
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    According to todays stories theyre thinking of axing the flashvote.

They should name the bottom two acts in the flash vote on Saturday night. Then I can make a decision whether I can be bothered to tune in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon only has himself to blame for the shows troubles. He buggered off to America and quite arrogantly assumed people would stick with it regardless, they haven't.

Personally I find there is always an undercurrent of nastiness on the X Factor, the judges are often spiteful for thee sake of it. They demean and often bully contestants, calling them "cruise ship singers" like that's something to be ashamed of when it's a perfectly respectable way to earn a living.

The show also became obsessed with being young and urban, which alienated a half of the audience. These are the people who are most likely to be in on Saturday night watching television. Why are people going to continue to watch a programe that insinuates anyone over the age of 25 is past it and ancient?

Maybe call me old-fashioned, but how can someone mentor a person in a supposed singing competition if you are not one yourself? In my opinion that makes at least 2 of the panel redundant - Louis and Sharon. A mentor is 'an experienced and trusted advisor' - so how can Sharon & Louis advise their acts on singing or performing if neither of them have sung or can sing or have ever performed as artists? I reckon that then puts their acts at an immediate disadvantage. Sure they can advise them as A&R advisors, but given they haven't even got a career yet to manage what good is that?
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Maybe call me old-fashioned, but how can someone mentor a person in a supposed singing competition if you are not one yourself? In my opinion that makes at least 2 of the panel redundant - Louis and Sharon. A mentor is 'an experienced and trusted advisor' - so how can Sharon & Louis advise their acts on singing or performing if neither of them have sung or can sing or have ever performed as artists? I reckon that then puts their acts at an immediate disadvantage. Sure they can advise them as A&R advisors, but given they haven't even got a career yet to manage what good is that?
    The judges barely have anything to do with the acts apart from the stuff to camera. It's all a construct!
    Forum Member
    Trouble is only Tamera has the X-factor.

The rest are just difficult to watch and listen too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Why does everyone think it is about the ratings?

As long as there are enough votes coming in, then there is no problem.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »

Because the ratings affect advertising revenues in the long run of course.
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its lacking focus on talent
    Wrong type of judges
    Too much hospital drama which is made to secure their chosen acts get another week
    Personal attacks
    Contestants with criminal background
    Flashvote is unfair and rather pointless
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pingu58011 wrote: »

Because it is all about the Ratings. Advertising revenue is what drives the show & if the ratings arent good enough advertising companies wont pay for the ads & if nobody paying for ads no x factor
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Beaten by a programme about baking cakes in the ratings - says it all really
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've ruined the Sunday show with the flash vote, we will never get a Ella/Arthur shock again, the Sunday show seems even worse now with the same old guests and they're not even singing new songs but ones that have been around ages.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    The ratings have been down since 2010. What specific event in series 7 actually turned people off?

They were up in 2010, and 2011 started off up as well, at record levels. Signs of a tail off began towards the end of the 2011 auditions and through bootcamp and judges houses things really started to fall behind. By the end of 2011, it was down by as much as 25% on the equivalent episodes a year before. 2012 started off way down and that continued.

This series started very well, up on last year. But the live shows (the Saturday shows in particular) have been down, not helped by having about 30 minute clashes with Strictly (which it avoided this time last year).

I think bootcamp and judges houses got a bit lost this year. XF US really went for it with the 4 chair challenge and it was big and dramatic. Ours ended up being very wet - some of the contestants were crying about their children before they even started singing! 6 seats was too many - I didn't care about half the people losing their spots anyway. Judges houses was also ridiculously tearful. The weird thing is that the auditions were done in quite a chirpy, optimistic way. It was meant to be (and was) more fun with Sharon back. But then it went in a different direction later on. Particularly bad timing to do that because if you'd been watching Strictly it would have been a live show of sequins, half naked men/women and D list celebs who just want to pick up the paycheque and have some fun along the way. So I'd imagine XF seemed like rather heavy viewing to drop into.
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    They've ruined the Sunday show with the flash vote, we will never get a Ella/Arthur shock again, the Sunday show seems even worse now with the same old guests and they're not even singing new songs but ones that have been around ages.

The Sunday show was always the weakest. Live acts performing below par. Uninterested in the acts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I think bootcamp and judges houses got a bit lost this year. XF US really went for it with the 4 chair challenge and it was big and dramatic. Ours ended up being very wet - some of the contestants were crying about their children before they even started singing! 6 seats was too many - I didn't care about half the people losing their spots anyway. Judges houses was also ridiculously tearful. The weird thing is that the auditions were done in quite a chirpy, optimistic way. It was meant to be (and was) more fun with Sharon back. But then it went in a different direction later on. Particularly bad timing to do that because if you'd been watching Strictly it would have been a live show of sequins, half naked men/women and D list celebs who just want to pick up the paycheque and have some fun along the way. So I'd imagine XF seemed like rather heavy viewing to drop into.

This is so true, there was an air of fun in the air, especially amongst the judges. But the producers obviously decided to meddle and the atmosphere changed. BC was designed to be a nail biting affair, but they filled the chairs with people that they had no intention of putting through only to smash their dreams - that's not entertainment that's just cruel. They should have given seats to the people they intended to put through to JHs, with minimal seat swapping. The fun factor ended there for me, the producers deliberately used peoples emotions for dramatic effect, so crass and a little disturbing that they think along those lines as entertainment IMO.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    not disagreeing with his pedigree , just not sure hes got a big enough profile in the UK to be that much of a draw

Apart from Get Lucky I guess nobody who watches X-Factor remembers Good Times; Le Freak; We Are Family; Like A Virgin; Let's Dance; The Reflex; Upside Down; Love Shack; Material Girl; I'm Coming Out; The Wild Boys; Rappers Delight; China Girl; Frankie; Everybody Dance; Higher Love; Notorious; Gettin' Jiggy Wit It; Modern Love; My Forbidden Lover; Why; Thinking Of You; Dress You Up; I'm Not Perfect ....
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Beaten by a programme about baking cakes in the ratings - says it all really

Obviously, they should scrap the sing off; and have a bake off.

This week whoever of the bottom two acts bakes the best jam tarts survives to next week.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Get Lucky I guess nobody who watches X-Factor remembers Good Times; Le Freak; We Are Family; Like A Virgin; Let's Dance; The Reflex; Upside Down; Love Shack; Material Girl; I'm Coming Out; The Wild Boys; Rappers Delight; China Girl; Frankie; Everybody Dance; Higher Love; Notorious; Gettin' Jiggy Wit It; Modern Love; My Forbidden Lover; Why; Thinking Of You; Dress You Up; I'm Not Perfect ....

All those highlighted in bold are pop not disco.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    All those highlighted in bold are pop not disco.

Ignore me - wrong thread.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone in a flash. :D
    C14E wrote: »
    They were up in 2010, and 2011 started off up as well, at record levels. Signs of a tail off began towards the end of the 2011 auditions and through bootcamp and judges houses things really started to fall behind. By the end of 2011, it was down by as much as 25% on the equivalent episodes a year before. 2012 started off way down and that continued.

This series started very well, up on last year. But the live shows (the Saturday shows in particular) have been down, not helped by having about 30 minute clashes with Strictly (which it avoided this time last year).

The chair challenge was probably the heaviest part of the series though; people really thought it was hard to watch because of the emotions at play and people losing their spot at the final moment.

The issue started in 2011 and I'd argue that the 'x' that marks the spot is ending on Ceri's audition (which was basically one where the contestant is ridiculed) instead of an uplifting positive one. Bootcamp was the Frankie Cocazza sex show which accompanied a drastic cut in acts before anyone even sang.

This was nothing compared to the horrific twist which was foisted onto the first live show - namely, four contestants being cut without the public having a say. The departure of Amelia Lily was particularly farcical; it wasn't as though the powers-at-be were unaware of her popularity - her performance of ET had been widely praised and applauded in the run up to the first performance show. She was THE act who viewers had invested in and soon as she left so did the viewers. Strangely, the show saw an uplift when she returned. Funny that.

Series 8 actually had the talent and personalities on stage but dire production decisions and a panel who couldn't stand each other dragged the show down badly.

Series 9 never really had a chance from the start; people decided enough was enough after Series 8 and didn't invest and they didn't have the talent or moments to get people talking. There was nothing really new or special about the show - Nicole had joined a year too late - and a dour first performance show followed by a repeat of Maria Lawson v The Conway Sisters/Laura White v Jedward was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Again, there was some talent there but most of it was niche. For different reasons Gary, Louis and Tulisa really couldn't be bothered with the series and the enduring attacks of Christopher Maloney just presented the show as even nastier than before.

They seemed to have the right idea with this series; make it more light hearted and have a few more laughs in the audition shows did seem to work. But after then they were clueless how to maintain the comedic element. The chair challenge, while dramatic, was still quite nasty and Judges Houses must have been sponsored by Kleenex.

The worst thing about Judges Houses was the wrong acts were put through. While I don't quite go along with the obsessive fandom that seems to surround Melanie McCabe it was presented as 'her time' and people had invested in her story; same with Joseph Whelan. Neither Abi Alton (who harks back to the niche part of the programme - Louis pointed out in her first audition that she was 'wrong' for the show) or Lorna Simpson (who was left off the edit and overpowered by Sam Bailey and Hannah) were needed or had the required impact for the lives. As it is there are some talented acts - Hannah, Sam Bailey, Tamera, Nicholas - but not enough variation to pull in the casual viewer and, while their voices can be applauded, they haven't really been given a strong enough backstory to keep people involved (such as Melanie's continuing attempts or Joseph's family).
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so - the Saturday night audience is still potentially massive. Look at SCD.

Yeah but more people would tune in on Sunday, would also make people like me a lot more happy, look at America, Australia etc were they air on Wed & Thur, I'd honestly prefer that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Gone in a flash. :D

The chair challenge was probably the heaviest part of the series though; people really thought it was hard to watch because of the emotions at play and people losing their spot at the final moment.

The issue started in 2011 and I'd argue that the 'x' that marks the spot is ending on Ceri's audition (which was basically one where the contestant is ridiculed) instead of an uplifting positive one. Bootcamp was the Frankie Cocazza sex show which accompanied a drastic cut in acts before anyone even sang.

This was nothing compared to the horrific twist which was foisted onto the first live show - namely, four contestants being cut without the public having a say. The departure of Amelia Lily was particularly farcical; it wasn't as though the powers-at-be were unaware of her popularity - her performance of ET had been widely praised and applauded in the run up to the first performance show. She was THE act who viewers had invested in and soon as she left so did the viewers. Strangely, the show saw an uplift when she returned. Funny that.

Series 8 actually had the talent and personalities on stage but dire production decisions and a panel who couldn't stand each other dragged the show down badly.

Series 9 never really had a chance from the start; people decided enough was enough after Series 8 and didn't invest and they didn't have the talent or moments to get people talking. There was nothing really new or special about the show - Nicole had joined a year too late - and a dour first performance show followed by a repeat of Maria Lawson v The Conway Sisters/Laura White v Jedward was the nail in the proverbial coffin. Again, there was some talent there but most of it was niche. For different reasons Gary, Louis and Tulisa really couldn't be bothered with the series and the enduring attacks of Christopher Maloney just presented the show as even nastier than before.

They seemed to have the right idea with this series; make it more light hearted and have a few more laughs in the audition shows did seem to work. But after then they were clueless how to maintain the comedic element. The chair challenge, while dramatic, was still quite nasty and Judges Houses must have been sponsored by Kleenex.

The worst thing about Judges Houses was the wrong acts were put through. While I don't quite go along with the obsessive fandom that seems to surround Melanie McCabe it was presented as 'her time' and people had invested in her story; same with Joseph Whelan. Neither Abi Alton (who harks back to the niche part of the programme - Louis pointed out in her first audition that she was 'wrong' for the show) or Lorna Simpson (who was left off the edit and overpowered by Sam Bailey and Hannah) were needed or had the required impact for the lives. As it is there are some talented acts - Hannah, Sam Bailey, Tamera, Nicholas - but not enough variation to pull in the casual viewer and, while their voices can be applauded, they haven't really been given a strong enough backstory to keep people involved (such as Melanie's continuing attempts or Joseph's family).

Very good analysis - reads like a thesis. :cool: