Options

The Frankincenense Trail - BBC2

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Kate not the most annoying woman on TV??

I would have really enjoyed the program if it weren't for her.

She doesn't annoy me in the slightest, I like her, and I'm really enjoying the series.
  • Options
    jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

No!

JJ - who finds her an excellent presenter
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Join the club.

Unfortunately we're now in age where there are generations as much interested in the presenter as they are the topic.

TV companies know this and "people are cheaper than content," regardless of how much they are over-paid.
  • Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately we're now in age where there are generations as much interested in the presenter as they are the topic.

*Puts on Devil's Advocate Cap*

Therefore why be so bothered about Kate Humble presenting this programme? Surely you've contradicted yourself here?

*Takes cap off*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Puts on Devil's Advocate Cap*

Therefore why be so bothered about Kate Humble presenting this programme? Surely you've contradicted yourself here?

*Takes cap off*

Caps?

Let's not turn this into a "fashion show."

I'm not the slightest bit bothered about Kate Humble, if you like her, that's fine by me.

I haven't watched the programme.
    But she's typical of the dumbed down approach to programmes favoured by the "chief ratings chaser" Jay Hunt.
    Kate was once a few years ago described in a TV documentary as "The naturalist" when her stint on Springwatch showed that away from what was on the auto-cue she knew nothing about nature.

It's just a sign of the times. Far too many of these "celebrity presenters" are used now to front programmes where they've only a scant knowledge of the subject or what they've been told. It's often a case of "style over substance" in the chase for ratings. Slowly, much of the TV scheduling is being targeted at the same demographic.

Kate was at her best on some holiday programme for which she regularly reported.
    "Horses for courses."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Well I've enjoyed both episodes. Kate is a genial presenter in the style of Michael Palin - someone who easily connects with the locals she meets along the way. Fabulous scenery and educational about the area - okay so not that in depth but given the levels of ignorance about the area it filled a gap, without being too heavy to put people off.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Jon...
    You see.. The difference between us is that when I express my views on here, I can do it without getting "personal" with other contributors. I consider it an "adult" way of conducting oneself.
    If you think Kate Humble is "the bestest thing on TV" then that's fine by me.
    If you enjoyed the programme than that's fine by me too. I don't really care.
    You probably liked her in "Springwatch."
    I can't stand the woman's presentatation style.
    She wouldn't have written the script, she's an "auto-cutie."

I don't think I missed anything.
    "Muslim culture" is never off the pages of newspapers and the TV, I already know all I want to know about it.

"Have a nice day."

I so agree. I was looking forward to this programme as it had potential to be great, but after 20 min could take no more of Kate Humble. I cannot stand her presentation style. She comes across as fake and desperate to impress at all costs, so much so that she distracts from the content of the programme.
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Kate irritating to the extreme and rarely watch Spring Watch because of her. Hubby is a fan and I've been watching this with him. I've really enjoyed it, think she does well.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Oh goody another DS thread that's virtually buggerall about the program content but lots about the presenter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh goody another DS thread that's virtually buggerall about the program content but lots about the presenter.

Hmm..

You've hit on the reason.

These sort of programmes are more about the presenter than the topic.

Jay Hunt has developed a "one size fits all" policy towards programmes and programming. The options are being reduced to fit a much narrower demographic, in a constant ratings chase. With pretty much the same people watching the programmes and many millions more, not.

So many threads on here about "favourite presenters."
    It's no surprise that none of the female ones are "cosmetically challenged."
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm..

You've hit on the reason.

These sort of programmes are more about the presenter than the topic.

Jay Hunt has developed a "one size fits all" policy towards programmes and programming. The options are being reduced to fit a much narrower demographic, in a constant ratings chase. With pretty much the same people watching the programmes and many millions more, not.

So many threads on here about "favourite presenters."
    It's no surprise that none of the female ones are "cosmetically challenged."

Except TFT is a BBC2 programme so it's got absolutely nothing to do with Jay Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Except TFT is a BBC2 programme so it's got absolutely nothing to do with Jay Hunt.

Oh dear!

You do realise I was talking about more than one programme? Perhaps not.

The format of the Frankincense Trail programme is just following a general trend, like Springwatch and the new Countryfile.

Err... which channel are they on?

Don't tell me she's not on Countryfile, it's just someone out of the same mold.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    What a good series.
    The presentation was excellent, as was the camera work.
    The scenery was stunning and in this programme subtitles were rare.
    Kate Humble was on top form. I think no presenter could have done better. She asked searching questions from all the churchmen except from ( your beatitude ?) which was fair enough.
    Just one oops! when she asked the red haired rabbi if the phone call he was expecting was from God, he was a bit taken aback and then said ---no, it was from the Israeli government.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think Kate Humble was the right person for the job. She has enthusiasm, her brain was engaged (she managed a certain amount of diplomacy yet still managed to ask some probing questions), and she was quite brave too.

As for the 'format' it is very difficult to come up with a different angle now. Nevertheless this series enabled me to learn new things and some of the photography was wonderful.

For those who whinge about such material without having actually seen it, then perhaps you should go out and buy your own little camcorder and make your own documentary. We live in rapidly changing times and there are not enough people capturing that which is going on around us (traditions and buildings are vanishing rapidly for example).
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw the episode last night but I wish now that I had seen all of them. Kate Humble might not appeal to everyone but in this instance she was certainly the right person for the job. She was asking some very pertinent questions (especially from a female perspective) of the clerics she interviewed and managed to do it in a way which not only didn't cause offence but made them have to come up with an answer. And some of the answers were truely shocking!

When she asked the red beareded jewish cleric if it was really worth building the temple as it would involve detroying the muslim temple and would cause a massive war - re plied, yes but it will bring jobs into the area! talk about limited vision and just not giving a damn beyond what he wants!

I absolutely detest that in every religion women are treated differently to men. When Kate asked the hotel Rabbi why the women were seperated in the synagogue he told her it was simply so men/women don't see each other so aren't distracted. Really??? in that case why did the men have a lovely bright open area with comfy seats and who could see the rabbi. Why were the women put in a tiny section behind a wall and curtains and with hard women pews. Relgion is just an excuse to keep women down!
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally I cant stand organised religion, but found this a very entertaining show.
    Very strange to see a religious ceremony take place with Christians, Mulsims and Jews all in the same church and not killing each other. Maybe the rest of the middle east should be made to watch.
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    I only saw the episode last night but I wish now that I had seen all of them.

Head down to iPlayer dude.

Its on series catchup............
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    speigel wrote: »
    personally I cant stand organised religion, but found this a very entertaining show.
    Very strange to see a religious ceremony take place with Christians, Mulsims and Jews all in the same church and not killing each other. Maybe the rest of the middle east should be made to watch.

Yeah, I'm generally in agreement with most things churchy, apart from the actual God bit. Shame. Guess it's Buddism for me :-)