Options

The Christmas TV Thread 2010

Comments

• Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Just to let everyone know that there has been a slight change to BBC2's timings tonight making them different from the TV listings mags.

Top Gear is going to be 10 minutes longer now finishing at 9.15pm which means all subsequent programmes will start 10 minutes later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to let everyone know that there has been a slight change to BBC2's timings tonight making them different from the TV listings mags.

Top Gear is going to be 10 minutes longer now finishing at 9.15pm which means all subsequent programmes will start 10 minutes later.

More Top Gear.....but any reason why? BTW Loved Come rain come shine!:)
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    AfterToday wrote: »
    Miranda and The Ruth Jones show were both a big let down!

Miranda was great - exactly what you would expect from the series and plenty of big laughs. It's a good old traditional sitcom Christmas.

Ruth Jones, though, looked awful from what I saw of it. As a one off, I guess this was essentially a pilot episode to see whether a normal series of it would fly. Though I like Ruth Jones, the answer was pretty conclusive - she's a great writer and actress (comedic or otherwise) but this was evidently not her forte.

The BBC YouTube channel seems to have lots of clips from many of their Christmas Specials. I was particularly encouraged by a sketch from The One Ronnie, clearly paying homage to the "fork handles" routine. I thought it was hilarious - if the show is as good as that, it's going to be much better than I thought it might be:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Miranda was great - exactly what you would expect from the series and plenty of big laughs. It's a good old traditional sitcom Christmas.
    Ruth Jones, though, looked awful from what I saw of it. As a one off, I guess this was essentially a pilot episode to see whether a normal series of it would fly. Though I like Ruth Jones, the answer was pretty conclusive - she's a great writer and actress (comedic or otherwise) but this was evidently not her forte.

The BBC YouTube channel seems to have lots of clips from many of their Christmas Specials. I was particularly encouraged by a sketch from The One Ronnie, clearly paying homage to the "fork handles" routine. I thought it was hilarious - if the show is as good as that, it's going to be much better than I thought it might be:

I agree! I thought it was fantastic! I'd love to see a Miranda Christmas Special on BBC1 next year!
  • Options
    AfterTodayAfterToday Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess you are right about Miranda, maybe it's just not my thing but I do know for sure that The Ruth Jones show was rubbish! :D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was an episode on BBC Wales last Christmas, and, apparently, there are three more networked editions to come over the next twelve months.

Not my cup of tea, though.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess you are right about Miranda, maybe it's just not my thing but I do know for sure that The Ruth Jones show was rubbish! :D

No, in my opinion you were right. I love Miranda but the Xmas special was patchy in the extreme and mostly unfunny .. it was a wasted opportunity.

As for Ruth Jones, I don't know how I made it to the end. It was just awful and would have been improved in any one of her three guests had swapped seats with her .. they were all propping her up (entertainment wise.) Maybe they were more relaxed because it wasn't their head on the block but her presenting skills were practically nil and I usually love her.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Happy Christmas Eve :D

EDIT - my computer said 00.00
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - what are people watching right now? 00:22 on Christmas Eve...

Jesus Christ Superstar here... and recording it...
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    There was an episode on BBC Wales last Christmas, and, apparently, there are three more networked editions to come over the next twelve months.

Not my cup of tea, though.
    Yeh I heard there were a few more to be scatted across the year. I watched it on Iplayer, after reading the reviews I expected to be terrible but wasnt that bad just felt like a pilot.
    A week today will be Christmas Eve? ... What am I looking forward too the most on tv that day? Hmmmm ..... My Family (:o)

how about everyone else?
    Very good shows tonight. Comedy on BBC1 for most of the night, Paul O'Grady show which will be very festive and Peep Show night on C4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, it's a pretty good line up this Christmas Eve, Paul O'Grady is a lot better than what ITV1 gave us last year in the 21:00 slot - Taggart :rolleyes:
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved The Two Ronnies night last night especially the behind the scenes studio recordings. Lots of fun.
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I love BBC2's morning schedule today, Three films showing in a row, two of them old films,which for me makes perfect Christmas Eve viewing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Christmas Eve to all :D

I was wondering if anyone knew if the 1999 version of 'A Christmas Carol' was showing this evening/afternoon. If so on what channel?

Thank you :)
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    ITV3 15.05 - A modern take on Dickens. Loan shark Eddie Scrooge..... (Ross Kemp version I think)

FIVE 16.00 - 1951 version with Alastair Sim

Channel 4 18.00 - 2004 version with Kelsey Grammer

Thanks to Freeview EPG text search :)

Edit: Just checked wikipedia, you're looking for the one with Patrick Stewart? I don't think I can help then :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    ITV3 15.05 - A modern take on Dickens. Loan shark Eddie Scrooge.....

FIVE 16.00 - 1951 version with Alastair Sim

Channel 4 18.00 - 2004 version with Kelsey Grammer

Thanks to Freeview EPG text search :)

• Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    FIVE USA, 9pm on Christmas Day is the 1999 Patrick Stewart version! Repeated Sunday 12.00
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    watched The Snowman on Channel 4 it was good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit unreal that the day we have been predicting for months is finally hitting us tomorrow!!
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    A bit unreal that the day we have been predicting for months is finally hitting us tomorrow!!

Not sure predicting is the correct word :D
    Happy Christmas to one and all :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what does everyone think of today's programmes?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does everyone think of today's programmes?

The Royle Family was my favourite followed by Doctor Who and The One Ronnie.

I think next Christmas it should be Royle Family at 9pm followed by Outnumbered and Miranda at 10pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The Royle Family was my favourite followed by Doctor Who and The One Ronnie.

I think next Christmas it should be Royle Family at 9pm followed by Outnumbered and Miranda at 10pm.

I agree, both Outnumbered and Miranda deserve a Christmas Day slot.

I'm not sure if The Royle Family will be back next year? I thought it had a 3 special deal and then that's it - it may be back in a few years but the BBC may want to rest it for a year or two?

I'd like to see Gavin and Stacey back for a special next year with an Outnumbered special as the late night comedy.

Miranda would be brillaint as the early Christmas Day comedy (would fit very well in "The One Ronnie" type slot)
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, both Outnumbered and Miranda deserve a Christmas Day slot.

I'm not sure if The Royle Family will be back next year? I thought it had a 3 special deal and then that's it - it may be back in a few years but the BBC may want to rest it for a year or two?

I'd like to see Gavin and Stacey back for a special next year with an Outnumbered special as the late night comedy.

Miranda would be brillaint as the early Christmas Day comedy (would fit very well in "The One Ronnie" type slot)

I reckon Royle Family will be back, it rates well and after tonight's episode, they cannot leave it at that. I imagine it'll end when Caroline and Craig decide to end it.

Gavin and Stacey, I reckon will come back but neither Corden or Ruth Jones have indicated that they are writing any specials.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr who is the only show i was pleased with.
    they got the mix right of being a christmas tale/keeping with DW being scifi.
    it was so much better than 'the next doctor'

as for the rest it was awful, come fly with me was sadly as weak as i feared some good characters totally ruined by the same lack of direction that ruined little britain USA.

The BBC seem to think adding Christmas special to a title means they can get away with murder.